The headrests - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
clogan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93793
What I Drive: 2008 Roushcharged F-150 Screw,

FF Reputation: 1 clogan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsoup View Post
I hate new cars for this, stupid useless headrests that jam your head forward. They only put it in as the insurance companies demanded they regulate them so less whiplash cases come in, just to save them money. These are less offensive then the F150 and mustang, I just want to rip them out and explode them.

I am going to get a set from a Lexus seat, setup the posts to the right width and put them on, soft and comfy for long trips, I don't need regulators telling me how it could save them money by my body being uncomfortable in the car. pics to come!
Head restraints on my 2003 Cobra are PERFECT!!! they are adjustable up and down, plus they tilt forward and back. Ford should put these in ALL their cars - assuming, of course, that they are still "legal" (which they probably are not!!!!!). Our government, in its never-ending march to ensure our safety from all perils large and small, real and imagined, never ceases to amaze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #42
Bleed Blue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52048
What I Drive: 2005 Gray Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Bleed Blue Good Standing Member
Yeah....safety! What on earth are they thinking????
1998 Ford Ranger S-Cab Flareside 4X4 (another toy)
Kia...Making Home Town Buffet look classy!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #43
kelub
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94863
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus SE w/ Sport

FF Reputation: 1 kelub Good Standing Member
Well, umm... yeah... if you don't like the headrests being that way, then GL buying any new car from anyone... this isn't Ford's fault. Comparing to older model vehicles is pointless. As others have stated, the head restraints are that way for safety.

They're meant to prevent severe neck and head injury, not be pillows; if you're sitting in such a way that you're regularly laying your head back on the headrest, you're doing it wrong. the chair should be reclined at an angle that supports your lower and mid back, but has your head and shoulders at a slight distance from the top of the chair.

I had a 2007 Jeep Wrangler (JK) and it was the first Jeep to have those style head restraints. The jeep community was up in arms about it too, people taking them off etc. That's a GREAT way to get your neck broken.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #44
ResJudicata
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94971
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 ResJudicata Good Standing Member
Do these headrests have springs in them? I have them pushed all the way down and the driver side keeps sliding up on me.

Chris
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #45
clogan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93793
What I Drive: 2008 Roushcharged F-150 Screw,

FF Reputation: 1 clogan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelub View Post
Well, umm... yeah... if you don't like the headrests being that way, then GL buying any new car from anyone... this isn't Ford's fault. Comparing to older model vehicles is pointless. As others have stated, the head restraints are that way for safety.

They're meant to prevent severe neck and head injury, not be pillows; if you're sitting in such a way that you're regularly laying your head back on the headrest, you're doing it wrong. the chair should be reclined at an angle that supports your lower and mid back, but has your head and shoulders at a slight distance from the top of the chair.

I had a 2007 Jeep Wrangler (JK) and it was the first Jeep to have those style head restraints. The jeep community was up in arms about it too, people taking them off etc. That's a GREAT way to get your neck broken.

Kelub: I am not disputing your statement that all newer model autos have head restraints similar to those in the 2012 Focus that are the subject of so much criticism. However, is this a fact, or is this your opinion? If it is fact, please be so kind as to cite your support. I am skeptical that pre-2012 head restraints are un-safe to a degree that would result in an industry-wide reconfiguration, such as you imply.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #46
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Federal laws that were implement on September 1, 2008 and apply to any passenger vehicle built on or after this date require head restraints to be no further than 2 inches from the back of an occupant's head.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #47
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Not sure what you guys are upset about. I personally think the seats in my FoFo are the most comfortable seats I have ever had in any vehicle. I think Ford completely nailed the positioning on this one. Are you guys trying to sit too upright?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #48
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91264
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 wgilles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Not sure what you guys are upset about. I personally think the seats in my FoFo are the most comfortable seats I have ever had in any vehicle. I think Ford completely nailed the positioning on this one. Are you guys trying to sit too upright?
I agree. When I first got my Focus I felt the headrests were a little too close so I just leaned my seat back about an inch or 2 and...problem solved!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #49
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
I agree as well. Although it did take me about 6 months to find the perfect combination of positioning between the tilt/telescoping steering wheel and multi position seat.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 02-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #50
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I agree as well. Although it did take me about 6 months to find the perfect combination of positioning between the tilt/telescoping steering wheel and multi position seat.
For me, it's having the seat slid all the way back, wheel telescoped all the way back, and seat as low to the floor as it will go and reclined just so the support is on my lower and mid back as others mentioned in here. I like driving with my legs more out in front of me with a comfortable slight bend and not sitting upright like how I think of a dorky bus driver (can still comfortable fully depress the clutch). I find I can drive much longer with less fatigue. When I was trucking I got my boss to swap my seat out with a "lowrider" seat just so I would be more comfortable down low with legs out in front. I used to drive in sock feet on the long trips and found it helped greatly to reduce driving fatigue though haven't had a chance to see how it feels in the Focus yet.

Bookmarks & Social Networks