The headrests - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Creamsicle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91108
What I Drive: 2012 Ti hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Creamsicle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The headrests

First, I removed the rear headrests for improved visibility and backseat fold-down.

Now I hate the front ones.

With the six-way adjust and leather these are the most comfortable car seats I've ever had BUT the head rest tilts way forward, making it impossible for me to rest my shoulders on the top of the seat. I feel hunched over and my neck hurts after a long drive.

I even tried taking out the front headrests and turning them around backwards. It's possible. But then they lean way too far backward.

Seriously wondering about maybe taking them to a shop where the support posts could be straightened somehow.

Anybody else having this problem??

Aside from that (and the DCT which my dealer won't do the TBS on), my

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I agree the seats are great, and the headrests suck totally.

The steel tubes the headrests are on are very hard, and may be very difficult to bend. (I tried and failed)

With heat, and a BIG vise, they might be persuaded to bend enough to not be a pain in the neck.

I may go out and buy a huge vice just to try it....
Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Bleed Blue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52048
What I Drive: 2005 Gray Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Bleed Blue Good Standing Member
I used to hear this same type complaint about the 05+ Mustangs when I was working in the service department. To clear things up......it it not a headrest. It is a head restraint (as in safety equipment). To change/modify one would be like changing around a seatbelt as far as liability issues go. I knew a few stang owners who would pop them out and turn them around, but they look like sh%* that way and aren't going to do thier job in a collision. If you look at how far your head/neck could travel in a rearend collision, you would want it as close as possible. I would say just leave it and maybe tilt your seat back a tiny bit more.
1998 Ford Ranger S-Cab Flareside 4X4 (another toy)
Kia...Making Home Town Buffet look classy!

Last edited by Bleed Blue; 11-15-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Creamsicle
Focus Enthusiast

I agree, Bleed, about the safety function of those things. I guess I'm spoiled: I just traded-in a 2002 WRX which had head restraints that did not keep me from reaching the seatback with my shoulders. Sorry but the Focus' restraint just sticks out too far forward for comfort, and genuinely makes me feel like it's messing up my posture. The cynic in me wants to call that ironic, but in all seriousness I don't think it's necessary to sacrifice a chronic safety issue in order to provide mitigation for an acute safety issue. My Subie's restraint was innocent of the former, and though I never wrecked it, presumably adequate in the latter instance.

By the way I've tried a zillion combinations of seat back angle and seat angle -- no dice. The head restraint moves with the seat back.

Driving this car is like trying to sleep on your back with too many pillows under your head.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Creamsicle
Focus Enthusiast

I'm thinking of trying to substitute the rear bench center head restraint on the driver's seat, but naked eye tells me the post spacing is narrower so that wouldn't work.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
RDJTX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88961
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 RDJTX Good Standing Member
I just took my rears out and for giggles measured and you are correct they won't fit.

You must be tall, I am 5'10 and don't have the issue you are talking about. I am assuming that you have adjusted the height of the headrests as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamsicle View Post
I'm thinking of trying to substitute the rear bench center head restraint on the driver's seat, but naked eye tells me the post spacing is narrower so that wouldn't work.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Creamsicle
Focus Enthusiast

I'm 6'1" and have found that the head restraint is actually slightly less uncomfortable when it's in the fully-down position for me. I think that if I could theoretically push it down even further it would be okay. Of course the support bars' outward bends won't allow that even with modification.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #8
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Blue View Post
I used to hear this same type complaint about the 05+ Mustangs when I was working in the service department. To clear things up......it it not a headrest. It is a head restraint (as in safety equipment). To change/modify one would be like changing around a seatbelt as far as liability issues go. I knew a few stang owners who would pop them out and turn them around, but they look like sh%* that way and aren't going to do thier job in a collision. If you look at how far your head/neck could travel in a rearend collision, you would want it as close as possible. I would say just leave it and maybe tilt your seat back a tiny bit more.
I TOTALLY agree. I spent 20 years in the product liability defense field, with clients like Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda etc. It is MUCH better to keep ones head attached firmly to the neck after a collision through the use of a properly designed and adjusted head restraint devices than the alternative.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 11-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamsicle View Post
First, I removed the rear headrests for improved visibility and backseat fold-down.

Now I hate the front ones.

With the six-way adjust and leather these are the most comfortable car seats I've ever had BUT the head rest tilts way forward, making it impossible for me to rest my shoulders on the top of the seat. I feel hunched over and my neck hurts after a long drive.

I even tried taking out the front headrests and turning them around backwards. It's possible. But then they lean way too far backward.

Seriously wondering about maybe taking them to a shop where the support posts could be straightened somehow.

Anybody else having this problem??

Aside from that (and the DCT which my dealer won't do the TBS on), my
I rarely carry passengers in the back seat, other than grandkids in boosters or child seats, but I do carry a lot of cargo so the seats go down. Of course one has to remove the rear seat restraints to properly flip and fold the rear seats to make the cargo area. What sort of clever storage for the critters have you come up with? Or are you simply chucking them in a box and putting that onto a shelf?
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
chopper dave
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86580
What I Drive: 2012 white SE sport/manual/hatch

FF Reputation: 1 chopper dave Good Standing Member
The headrests are angled like that to meet federal safety regs for whiplash prevention. It will be pretty much the same for any car made this year- it sucks, but until they figure out something better we're stuck with them. Be advised that any modifications to position will probably preclude you from making any insurance claims for neck injuries in an accident, potentially a very costly decision.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->