How well does your Focus drive in snow? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #41
sterg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86158
What I Drive: 2012 Focuse SE Kona blue

FF Reputation: 1 sterg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Crager makes a decent looking wheel for around 50-60 bucks.

My tires say all season on them so I'll see how it goes.
Moonroof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #42
89SHO
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90961
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 89SHO Good Standing Member
I've had 4 winter tires on previous vehicles and found it makes a big difference in being able to get up the hill to my house and general handling.

Agree with the post that mentioned low-temperature being a good reason for winter tires, even if you don't have much snow.

I used steel wheels with covers for many years. I bought cheap Walmart covers, and they seemed to hold up pretty well. The only time they cracked was when I pried too hard with a screwdriver to get them off. At $15 a set, I just bought a second set and had extras to replace damaged ones. The silver finish did tend to get scuffed by the tire brushes in the auto car wash.

My steel wheels actually started rusting after a number of years so I was having slow leaks. I've decided to buy inexpensive alloy wheels for my snow tires from now on, right from the start. Bought $91 alloy wheels from Discount Tire Direct for my van - not a whole lot more than steel wheels plus covers, and looks better and lasts longer.

I'll probably try to get through the first winter on the OEM all-seasons. With full tread-depth, it should be manageable. I've actually gone through two winters with BFG Traction TA all-seasons since I didn't want to buy new tires and wheels for a car I was planning to get rid of. I'll buy winter tires and wheels for 2012-2013, assuming I have my Focus by then.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #43
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
@thirdj - you are very welcome !
Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #44
FordBass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89775
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 FordBass Good Standing Member
I will see how mine is hopefully within a week
Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #45
FordBass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89775
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 FordBass Good Standing Member
I was gonna get those soft 8s for my truck lol
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #46
looker44
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91186
What I Drive: 2001 silver se sedan+1986 trans am

FF Reputation: 1 looker44 Good Standing Member
my 01 se blows in the snow it handles a lott like a truck the rear end is every where any hints why
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 11-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #47
Fine Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88092
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Fine Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
That's a good package and actually the 15x6 steel rims were Ford branded when I picked mine up from tire rack. Same rims were $85 my cost from the Ford dealer. I went with the Michelin X ice with the rebate with 205/65-15 to match the diameter of the Michelin tires on the Titanium handling package.
Good info that the wheels may be Ford OEM. I ordered Michelin X-Ice Xi2 195-65-15's on steels from Tire Rack. Tire Rack tells me that these will substitute fine for the all season 16's. Those aftermarket hubcaps are pretty hideous so am hoping get some Focus S caps to use for the winter. Any suggestions on where to get a good price on these?

I did go for equipping the tires with TPS. I do not want to stare at a warning light all winter and might as well take advantage of using the system that is part of the car.

I definitely agree that winter tires provide a significant improvement in winter driving performance in the Northeast.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #48
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
New to forums, just got my SE yesterday and haven't had it in snow. With that said, the title of the post asks the wrong question. The kind of car has only so much to do with how it handles in snow. What tires are on the car makes all the difference. My last car had no working traction control or ABS and was rear wheel drive. With snow tires, it could go through anything. Without them, it couldn't move.

I always ask people: Do you value your life? Is it worth 500$ to you? Would you rather not kill someone because your car can't stop? ABS, Traction and ESP won't help you stop if your tires have no traction. Get snow tires. Most OEM tires are crap in the snow. I had a 06 civic and my mother had a 09 Mazda 3. Both came with tires that were so bad in the snow, it should have been a crime. (both were sold in northern USA).

With the civic, I got blizzacks, and the car went through anything. Same with the Mazda. I know the focus will be the same thing.

Plus if you even remotely enjoy driving, driving in snow can be really fun, but only if you have some modicum of control.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #49
A2Focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90690
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 A2Focus Good Standing Member
I ordered the 195/65R-15 General Altimax Arctic on black steel, with black plastic wheel covers. No TPMS. I'll put a piece of electric tape on the lens over the warning light for the winter.

Bring on the SNOW! :)
Old 11-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #50
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze SE sedan

FF Reputation: 8 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Snow has hit again, and I continue to enjoy the li'l yellow Fofo in conditions like this. The heated seats and mirrors are extremely nice to have.

And seriously, don't even bother than anything less than a true set of winter tires if you'll be driving in the winter months. Summers and all-seasons should be saved for the warmer months.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.

Bookmarks & Social Networks