How well does your Focus drive in snow? - Page 19 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #181
Bakaboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92644
What I Drive: focus 2012

FF Reputation: 1 Bakaboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenmv View Post
my focus came with winters on rims included for free when i bought mine. And it came from Vancouver (BC). go figure. I'm in Calgary now, thankful that I had them put on before i drove it back here. I'll have a nice brand new set of rims and all seasons to put on in spring. Oddly enough, Seattle has recently received way more snow than we see in Calgary. weird.
I had the same deal. Came with General Altimax Arctic's, which seem to do ok with snow/slush. If you have the same set, I'm curious at what you think of them on highway or even for just general driving? I feel as though they squirm too much and wife won't even drive the focus on the highway; she says "it doesn't feel right". Got me thinking if it's worth to invest on a better set, not that we see much snow around here, but it's always better to be prepared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #182
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
You can tell this car is pretty light, the TC activates fairly easily even with very little throttle with snow tires. Couldn't imagine driving in any type of snow with all seasons on this car. All my previous cars I ran all seasons year round with the same conditions.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #183
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89165
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I was debating between the X-Ice Xi2 and Nokian Hakkapeliitta Rs (which is what I eventually went with). I’m pretty sure I could’ve saved myself some money and went with the X-Ice Xi2, but they had a lot of mixed reviews… and I was scared. As for the Nokians, they’re holding up really well.

Any other reviews for the Xi2?
Xi2 is a good one. Probably better if you are mostly driving highway. They have a long tread life for a winter tire.

However I went with Blizzaks which are softer than Xi2 and have a bit better grip. Down side is they wear a bit faster.

Awesome tires tho.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #184
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Opinions/Experience requested

There are 2 refinished Titanium 18" wheels on ebay for $117.00 each
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...p2033768.m1253

I don't have these wheels. But if I did, I'd consider buying them and putting snow tires on them to swap when it snowed. Blizzak tires sized 235/40-18's cost $177.00 at tirerack.com.

Anybody tried running snow tires up front only or is this a stupid idea?
2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983
Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #185
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89496
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Titanium Focus HB

FF Reputation: 3 NorthernFocalPoint Good Standing Member
Hahaha - no that's just what winter tires are like (you must have the 15's on with their higher sidewalls) because it warms up above 7C often in Vancouver and winter tire compounds are formulated softer so that they're still flexible even when the temps drop well below 0C. Your wife has probably only ever driven on all-seasons.

I've got the Altimax Arctics and I have no problems at all (in Ottawa) and they've been great so far (predictable to drive on - I would say not as great on glare ice as a dedicated ice tire like the Blizzaks or Xi2's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakaboy View Post
I had the same deal. Came with General Altimax Arctic's, which seem to do ok with snow/slush. If you have the same set, I'm curious at what you think of them on highway or even for just general driving? I feel as though they squirm too much and wife won't even drive the focus on the highway; she says "it doesn't feel right". Got me thinking if it's worth to invest on a better set, not that we see much snow around here, but it's always better to be prepared.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #186
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89496
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Titanium Focus HB

FF Reputation: 3 NorthernFocalPoint Good Standing Member
Hmmm I hear ya - that can be frustrating. Have you considered the Goodyear Tripletreds (not sure how they compare in price to the Nokian WRG2)? That may be better suited to the flipflop weather conditions that you see ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The problem is where I live, this time of year is really all-season. It was in the 20's with snow last week, then this weekend was in the high 50's with heavy rain and thunderstorms, and now the past 2 days is snow. I'm not looking for winter tire performance in an all-season, I'm just looking for performance that matches or exceeds the typical all-season tire, which I don't have now.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #187
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012sel View Post
Opinions/Experience requested

There are 2 refinished Titanium 18" wheels on ebay for $117.00 each
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...p2033768.m1253

I don't have these wheels. But if I did, I'd consider buying them and putting snow tires on them to swap when it snowed. Blizzak tires sized 235/40-18's cost $177.00 at tirerack.com.

Anybody tried running snow tires up front only or is this a stupid idea?
You don't want to do that. The car will handle terrible. Get winter tires in sets of 4 only.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #188
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFocalPoint View Post
Hmmm I hear ya - that can be frustrating. Have you considered the Goodyear Tripletreds (not sure how they compare in price to the Nokian WRG2)? That may be better suited to the flipflop weather conditions that you see ...
Those are great all seasons with emphasis on snow/wet conditions. A less expensive alternative is the Conti ExtremeContact DWS. Dry Wet Snow. I run the DWS on my AWD Saab 92x Aero (WRX).
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #189
Bakaboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92644
What I Drive: focus 2012

FF Reputation: 1 Bakaboy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFocalPoint View Post
Hahaha - no that's just what winter tires are like (you must have the 15's on with their higher sidewalls) .
Actually I got the 16's (215/55/R16) and like I said I find them squirmy which only seems to get worse as I drive faster. At around 120 kph there's almost a deadzone at the wheel, but hey it's free so I can live with it I guess.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #190
detonator555
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93875
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan, Candy Red

FF Reputation: 1 detonator555 Good Standing Member
Continentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
All my past experience with continental tires has been negative. Ford finally had to change to Michelins on the current Escape because the OEM continentals would chop after a few thousand miles and sounded like a semi going down the road.

This particular tire on the Focus has fast tread wear, at least they were when they were OEM on the Fusion.
That's really interesting; I had a 2008 Escape with the stock Continentals, and I HATED those tires. They were loud and rough, and my friends used to joke that I had the only square tires in North America. I was just too cheap to replace new tires on a new vehicle. Never again!

To the poster about Generals, I have the Altimax in 15's, and I have no complaints about tire performance. Mine are studded, so I don't have unrealistic expectations about noise or dry pavement performance.

Last edited by detonator555; 01-21-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Bookmarks & Social Networks