How well does your Focus drive in snow? - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #171
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The stock 215-50-R17 is http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....num=15HR7CPCV2 Just read the first two reviews that hate on them for snow/ice traction. I feel the same way, it's dangerous in the rain and snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #172
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
All my past experience with continental tires has been negative. Ford finally had to change to Michelins on the current Escape because the OEM continentals would chop after a few thousand miles and sounded like a semi going down the road.

This particular tire on the Focus has fast tread wear, at least they were when they were OEM on the Fusion.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #173
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

I bit the bullet and ordered 4 Kumho Escta 4X's from tire rack. They had a $50 MIR and $484 shipped to an installer. The best local quote I got was $620. I don't see snow that often, though I'm in central Indiana now, but I'd rather pay the $500 now and have okay snow performance and good wet performance than pay the $500 later on an insurance deductible. Several times the stock tires have scared me in the rain, and the snow is just terrible.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #174
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
I bit the bullet and ordered 4 Kumho Escta 4X's from tire rack. They had a $50 MIR and $484 shipped to an installer. The best local quote I got was $620...
That's a good deal! I hear they perform reasonably well in snow. And much cheaper than say, Nokian's All-Weather tires.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #175
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89496
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Titanium Focus HB

FF Reputation: 3 NorthernFocalPoint Good Standing Member
The stock Contis are all-seasons and drove fine for me in the rain/warm weather but I agree they suck in the cold/winter but I never expected them to excel in it.

Complaining about using wide all-seasons in snow and cold when everything out there shows that you should be using winter tires when it gets around 40F and below really doesn't do much as compared to actually GETTING winter tires.

Btw, one of the disadvantages of Climate Change is that you folks down south who typically get milder winters are now seeing larger and more frequent dumpings of snow (and we up a bit more north are seeing less).

You can stick your head in the sand (or should I say snow?) and pretend it's not happening or wise up and equip your ride appropriately with the more important equipment instead of HID kits and spoilers (nothing wrong with those but try to have a sense of prioritization).
Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #176
Royal Tee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10037
What I Drive: Black Loaded Titanium & 2k1 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Royal Tee Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaCar View Post
With 18" 5-spoke rims and Michelin Summer-Use tires, I felt that I had no choice but to order steel rims. Put fullsize 16" spare (standard with 18" Rims/Performance Pkg). on counter at local Ford Dealer and told them to match identical rim and 4 TPMS's. After all, why have 3 different rim sizes? Brother in law is tire dealer and put Michelin X-Ice Xi2 which had $70.00 rebate, here in Canada.
Trouble is: lowest snowfall in recent memory but rain traction is excellent!
I have the 18's also and I'm Very interested in this.
Was looking @ the X-Ice also. I understand you got a di$count but What was the price for the matching rims & TPMS?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #177
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tee View Post
I have the 18's also and I'm Very interested in this.
Was looking @ the X-Ice also. I understand you got a di$count but What was the price for the matching rims & TPMS?
I was debating between the X-Ice Xi2 and Nokian Hakkapeliitta Rs (which is what I eventually went with). I’m pretty sure I could’ve saved myself some money and went with the X-Ice Xi2, but they had a lot of mixed reviews… and I was scared. As for the Nokians, they’re holding up really well.

Any other reviews for the Xi2?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #178
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
I bit the bullet and ordered 4 Kumho Escta 4X's from tire rack. They had a $50 MIR and $484 shipped to an installer. The best local quote I got was $620. I don't see snow that often, though I'm in central Indiana now, but I'd rather pay the $500 now and have okay snow performance and good wet performance than pay the $500 later on an insurance deductible. Several times the stock tires have scared me in the rain, and the snow is just terrible.
Honestly, if you have to drive, and there is a chance of snow, the $500 is cheap money. I like your logic sir. :)
Old 01-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #179
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFocalPoint View Post
Complaining about using wide all-seasons in snow and cold when everything out there shows that you should be using winter tires when it gets around 40F and below really doesn't do much as compared to actually GETTING winter tires.
The problem is where I live, this time of year is really all-season. It was in the 20's with snow last week, then this weekend was in the high 50's with heavy rain and thunderstorms, and now the past 2 days is snow. I'm not looking for winter tire performance in an all-season, I'm just looking for performance that matches or exceeds the typical all-season tire, which I don't have now.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #180
Darrenmv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91758
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE sport

FF Reputation: 1 Darrenmv Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFocalPoint View Post
The stock Contis are all-seasons and drove fine for me in the rain/warm weather but I agree they suck in the cold/winter but I never expected them to excel in it.

Btw, one of the disadvantages of Climate Change is that you folks down south who typically get milder winters are now seeing larger and more frequent dumpings of snow (and we up a bit more north are seeing less).

You can stick your head in the sand (or should I say snow?) and pretend it's not happening or wise up and equip your ride appropriately with the more important equipment instead of HID kits and spoilers (nothing wrong with those but try to have a sense of prioritization).
my focus came with winters on rims included for free when i bought mine. And it came from Vancouver (BC). go figure. I'm in Calgary now, thankful that I had them put on before i drove it back here. I'll have a nice brand new set of rims and all seasons to put on in spring. Oddly enough, Seattle has recently received way more snow than we see in Calgary. weird.

Bookmarks & Social Networks