Moisture inside windshield - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
hedgehog26
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95729
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic SE B

FF Reputation: 1 hedgehog26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Moisture inside windshield

A few days ago, I had to drive for 2 hours around 3 am in the morning. It was about 54 degrees and when I stopped for a bite and left my car for about an hour, I came back and about half of the windshield had mist/fog on it. So I went on my way and used the defogger. In a few seconds, fog/mist was gone except for the bottom middle section of the windshield. I cranked up the defogger but it didn't do anything. I stopped and looked at it and noticed that the mist was inside the windshield and there were even a few drops of water trickling/settling towards the bottom. I don't know what could've caused this. I did not have any windows open. No open liquid containers inside the car. No liquid spills. Any ideas? Leaky weather seals? I did take a picture of it which I will post when I get home.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Had the car been through a rain or car wash recently?

If there were no other sources of moisture inside the vehicle, I would suspect that your A/C evaporator/heater core chamber isn't draining properly. However, I think if that were the case you would have experienced some "musty" odors from your vents prior to now.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
meattooth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97031
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
the only time i've seen that was my 09 f150 and it was water from the third brake light seal leaking. Couldn't see it on the headliner it ran on top of the liner and down the front winsheild. couldn't even tell the headliner was wet until you pushed on it and it gushed water. I've also seen ppl that have spilt water in their car and not gotten it completly dry it will do that but only in the extreme heat not in 54 degree weather. Check your floorboads for water especially the rears.
Sonic Crew #012 E-123 Omega
Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If I have my defrost on too cold of a setting, it will cause the same condensation and ultimately cause that lower piece of glass to be so cold that it forces condensation on the outside (NC humidity).

Try it on 74.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
JayDeZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97919
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 JayDeZ Good Standing Member
My wife's Fusion does this if she leaves the defog on when parking it after a rain storm or a car wash. Its from moisture in the blower airbox. The easiest way to prevent it is to turn off the climate control so the flap for the defog closes before parking it.
- MFT
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
hedgehog26
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95729
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic SE B

FF Reputation: 1 hedgehog26 Good Standing Member
No water spills ever. I live in San Diego so lower extreme cold weather does not exist here. JayDez's explanation makes sense because I did leave the defogger on when I parked it for an hour. I did notice too that my a/c does not get cold enough even in max a/c setting (my 2001 Hyundai Elantra is even colder even in the lowest fan setting). And when I have the vent set to just the top, I can still feel some air from the floor vents. In an 80+ degree weather, I had to have it in the #2 fan setting to at least get comfortably cool. I have to crank it up to 3 for my preference.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
Get some desipacks from a hardware store (the little packets that come in new shoes and such) they absorb moisture. My last car had a problem with moisture in the cabin, it sucked especially in the winter because the inside of my windshield would have ice on it. Keep them on the dash when your parked and should absorb all that wetness. Also turn your climate control off before turning the vehicle off helps.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
To help eliminate interior condensation in cold clims...
If you park outdoors and end up with too much moisture in Winter.
When you drive for any distance, and the inside of the car is warmed up, before leaving the car. HOLD THE DOOR OPEN.. let all the hot air escape. it will take the excess moisture with it.

What happens is the car is cold, you excrete moisture through breath etc.. the car warms up and all that moisture stay inside car because the air is warm and dry.
So then you exit, leaving all the moist warm air behind.
Car gets cold, moisture condenses.. repeat a few dozen times and you got permanet foggy windows every time.
Like i wrote, just hold the door(s) open for a few moments. let ALL the hot air out. And no more foggy windows.
This is not a miracle, so if your car is fog hell, just doing it once is NOT gonna fix the issue. You have to do it every time in cold weather.(the seats pick up a bit of moisture too, but it is mainly the air itself which is the problem.)
Lucky me i have indoor underground parking.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
My focus does this my ranger did this. If it has colder air coming out of the vent even if the vent isn't on, than the air outside air it will build up at bottom of window I run the defrost on heat to match the outside air it will go away. Sometimes you can just be driving along on a back conrty road with a clear window then you hit a warm patch of air and the window will completely fog over in seconds .
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
minitaz1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98652
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 minitaz1 Good Standing Member
water droplets inside vehicle

This seems to happen each time we have rain and cold weather at the same time. After being driven and parked, after approx. 4 hours of rain and a 20 degree temperature drop. All the windows are covered with water on the inside of the vehicle. Is this someone else has experienced with their 2012 focus.

Bookmarks & Social Networks