Difference between nav via SYNC and the "Navigation" package? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Difference between nav via SYNC and the "Navigation" package?

I was under the impression that the car I bought (currently on its way from another dealer) had the navigation option installed. It doesn't. When I asked the salesman about it he said that all cars with SYNC have turn-by-turn navigation, searchable destinations and businesses, route planning and traffic monitoring, etc. The only thing you get for the $795 Navigation Package is the birds-eye aerial map.

$800 seems like a lot for just a map. I'm skeptical. It seems logical that either the SYNC navigation isn't as loaded as he's making it out to be, or the Navigation Package comes with more than just a pretty flying map. The Ford website says it comes with Sirius TravelLink (whatever that is), gas station pricing, weather forecasts, sports scores, movie listings and more. Are those all exclusive to the Voice Activated Navigation package, or are they part of SYNC?

Anyone have experience with the two side-by-side? What do they have in common? What's different? Is it worth $800 when I've got Google Maps and a 4G smartphone?

Finally, is it something that can be easily installed at the dealer before delivery, such as adding an SD card and unlocking the features?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
89SHO
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90961
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 89SHO Good Standing Member
You can learn more about the SYNC navigation features at http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/...?vehicle=focus. I think the nav option lets you choose specific via points or routing options and will automatically recalculate if you go off a planned route, as well as the additional information points that you mention. The SYNC turn-by-turn directions seem to be less flexible (no automatic recalculation and no manual routing choices unless you use Send to SYNC) and don't offer all of that extra info.

It's not clear to me if the basic SYNC supports Send to SYNC. At the link I provided above it indicates it does, but I thought I remembered seeing another place that it didn't. Perhaps somebody who has received their car already can tell us how it really works. I've only been reading in anticipation of my car somebody being delivered.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Kryssa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89138
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Kryssa Good Standing Member
For me, the biggest difference (other than the map) would be the immediate recalculating. I want to know right away if I took a wrong turn and what to do about it. I don't believe the SYNC Nav has this feature.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89SHO View Post
You can learn more about the SYNC navigation features at http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/...?vehicle=focus. I think the nav option lets you choose specific via points or routing options and will automatically recalculate if you go off a planned route, as well as the additional information points that you mention. The SYNC turn-by-turn directions seem to be less flexible (no automatic recalculation and no manual routing choices unless you use Send to SYNC) and don't offer all of that extra info.

It's not clear to me if the basic SYNC supports Send to SYNC. At the link I provided above it indicates it does, but I thought I remembered seeing another place that it didn't. Perhaps somebody who has received their car already can tell us how it really works. I've only been reading in anticipation of my car somebody being delivered.
Oddly enough the link provided indicates that SYNC with Voice Activated Navigation isn't available on the Focus even though it is.

I clicked back a page to the 'Packages' tab and found this:
http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/configurations/

There I can compare the systems side-by-side. From what I see, the Voice Activated Navigation (Lets just call it VAN) comes with significantly fewer features than the MFT. An "Integrated Navigation System" is listed as optional for MFT, maybe that's what's listed as the $795 VAN under the Focus build tool?

this is confusing....
Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
danproko123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91623
What I Drive: 2012,met red,sel,nav

FF Reputation: 1 danproko123 Good Standing Member
i just took delivery of sel with nav. its awsome sometimes but lacks certain features but if you drive alot and want nav help definately get the nav. zoom in zoom out etc all with voice commands. rerouting is awsome,poi's are nice when hungry or need gas.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
bkoester
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53453
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bkoester Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinS View Post
Oddly enough the link provided indicates that SYNC with Voice Activated Navigation isn't available on the Focus even though it is.

I clicked back a page to the 'Packages' tab and found this:
http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/configurations/

There I can compare the systems side-by-side. From what I see, the Voice Activated Navigation (Lets just call it VAN) comes with significantly fewer features than the MFT. An "Integrated Navigation System" is listed as optional for MFT, maybe that's what's listed as the $795 VAN under the Focus build tool?

this is confusing....
SYNC with VAN is not available on the Focus. This was a system that was developed before MFT which combined Sync with a screen for the map display.

What is available on the Focus is "Sync with Myford" or Myford touch. Navigation is an option that can be added for $800 to MFT. A free (for three years) feature of either option is "Sync Services". Sync services is able to dowload turn by turn directions to your car using your phone. Sync services does not have a map display.

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/...sync-services/
Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryssa View Post
For me, the biggest difference (other than the map) would be the immediate recalculating. I want to know right away if I took a wrong turn and what to do about it. I don't believe the SYNC Nav has this feature.
This is true.

The actual Navigation package is like having a big (huge) GPS in your car. The Sync Navigation is like having a really smart friend that you can call. If you miss a turn, instead of the GPS just giving you other options, you have to call back your really smart friend to find out what to do next.

Sync Navigation works fine, but it doesn't provide a map of any kind and it's completely inflexible. If you miss a turn or something changes, it'll ask if you want to re-calculate. If you say yes, it has to call back in and download the new directions...which takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds total (from starting the call to hanging up).
Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

OK, I think this is finally starting to make sense. What my salesman said was right; turn-by-turn nav is part of MFT, but if I want a map I have to spring for the Nav package. I guess it comes with the Sirius TravelLink too (which I'm sure is $200 a year or something ridiculous).

Does anyone know if Nav is something that can be added by the dealer after the car is built? I know it's all SD-card based, so maybe it's a matter of installing the card and activating the feature?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinS View Post
Does anyone know if Nav is something that can be added by the dealer after the car is built? I know it's all SD-card based, so maybe it's a matter of installing the card and activating the feature?
This is something that has been discussed/asked in other threads. I know I never saw a definitive answer in any of them (doesn't mean it is not there, I just may have not read it). Anyone know for sure?

I believe the Sirius travel services are 5.99 a month. This is just the travel, no radio.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
HammerStriker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86553
What I Drive: 2012 Ignot Silver Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HammerStriker Good Standing Member
The Nav option CAN NOT be dealer installed. It has a completely different wiring harness that includes the GPS antenna. My opinion... the SYNC T-B-T blows. The Nav has some learning curves as well, but the live traffic and re-routing options when there is an accident have saved me hours on my comute multiple times. Well worth the upgrade.

Bookmarks & Social Networks