Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #131
rrrick777
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96238
What I Drive: 2012 race red focus

FF Reputation: 1 rrrick777 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrick777 View Post
55 to 70+... Going to print out some of this thread and go back to the dealer....wish me luck.
'update' Took car to dealer and two mechanics drove the car as I was in the back seat. They heard the noise.... They checked their computers and said they were going to change the front left bearing. I returned that evening to pick up the car which they actually fixed. "yea" The mechanic said that after he changed the bearing it still made the noise. He stuffed the whole front end with rags to attempt to figure it out to no avail. He said he put a new front left tire from another car and the problem was solved. I have not had any problems since...."knock on wood". He said the tire must of been flat spotted due to sitting for a long time before it was sold......?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #132
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
Drive it for a few hundred miles and see if it comes back. Mine did, sounds just like it did before. My service dealer and the field service engineer deny it, problem won't be acknowledged anymore.

Lemon law arbitration hearing is set for June 14th. Got all of my ducks in a row for it. I sincerely hope you had a bad tire, that way you don't spend 24 days in the shop with a car that the manufacturer no longer wants to fix for you under the bumper to bumper warranty.... Only advice I can give you is to keep your paperwork up to date just in case Ford sends you up shit's creek. Your documentation will be your only paddle.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #133
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
Drive it for a few hundred miles and see if it comes back. Mine did, sounds just like it did before. My service dealer and the field service engineer deny it, problem won't be acknowledged anymore.

Lemon law arbitration hearing is set for June 14th. Got all of my ducks in a row for it. I sincerely hope you had a bad tire, that way you don't spend 24 days in the shop with a car that the manufacturer no longer wants to fix for you under the bumper to bumper warranty.... Only advice I can give you is to keep your paperwork up to date just in case Ford sends you up shit's creek. Your documentation will be your only paddle.
I had the same problem, Front bearlings were replaced with the new part numbers, not from the same bearing batchs supplied to the factory. My noise has not come back. It was not tires or anything else but bad bearings.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #134
5jschiavones
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96821
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 5jschiavones Good Standing Member
Thumbs down

I am also pursuing the lemon law now. I am done. 9 times for the same reason. They keep telling me it is wind but they have done wheel bearing and struts and shocks but it is just wind. They have no clue. I should ask them if they tried changing the tires.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #135
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5jschiavones View Post
I am also pursuing the lemon law now. I am done. 9 times for the same reason. They keep telling me it is wind but they have done wheel bearing and struts and shocks but it is just wind. They have no clue. I should ask them if they tried changing the tires.
Good luck with your arbitration. I experienced the same frustration in dealing with FORD on my wife's Focus. So much so, that I bought a 2012 Prius for my car and have not had 1 (one) problem arise with it. The quality is there, way above FORDS. Says a lot doesn't it?

I bought a FORD because they did not take any government loans, now I understand why. They cheapened their vehicles.

No more FORDS for us!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #136
MrsHeather
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100193
What I Drive: 2000 Redish Orange ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 MrsHeather Good Standing Member
Help! My focus is too noisy!!!

It Sounds like this is a common issue in the focus model. I just googled humming noise while driving and the whole page was full of links to different websites all with "ford focus" being the car.
Have they ever pinpointed the cause of this problem? I bought my car used from ford dealership in 2005 and within a couple months had one tire practically fall off. In the 7 years since i have had to replace the rear suspension, the clutch, transmission, rear window pulley, ignition system (which i was told is a common problem in focus models), several batteries (I swear my car eats them) and more... Way too much stuff in my opinion. I used to think Ford made a good car and my whole family drives Fords but now I'm not sure if i'll buy another one. I just had all my tires replaced and have noticed that now whenever I drive around 60mph the noise becomes almost unbearably loud in the cab. Have checked tire pressure and its not the problem. Without having to pay an exorbant amount is there a fix?
Thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #137
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Hi MrsHeather,

In my opinion, get an inspection done on your car by a trusted mechanic. I just finished my arbitration hearing for my 2012 Focus, and I should know the arbitrator's decision within 3 business days on whether or not Ford needs to award me a new vehicle. Since Ford would no longer acknowledge the problem present with my car, I spent $50 at a local mechanic just to have them see if they could make a diagnosis. We'll see if its the best $50 I've ever spent or not come next week.

Anyway, we're fairly sure the alignment is off on my car, but we can't know for sure. And by we, I mean myself and the independent mechanic. Ford 100% refuses to service the car for this problem, even though the car is only 6 months into its 36 month 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The "toe" value (or the amount the wheel is turned sideways as opposed to traveling straight down the road) for the rear tire is 0.38 degrees. The rear left tire's toe value is 0.03 degrees. The rear right tire is 10 x more crooked than the rear left tire, likely causing it to ride sideways down the highway, wearing out the tire abnormally, causing the vibration that I have present on two new sets of rear tires. The mechanic told me the rear tires are in the early stages of "cupping", where little scoops of tire are wearing out and will be missing given more wear and tear. He speculated that my tires in the rear will be shot with visible cupping in the next 10,000 miles. However, the mechanic doesn't have any alignment specification standards for my car as it is a 2012. We can't be 100% sure if the alignment does not match the designed values. I mean, an independent mechanic doesn't need to buy 2012 specifications for vehicles as they should be getting their service by the dealer under warranty....

I'll let you all know what happens. For those dealing with new vehicles and if you need any help with Lemon Law stuff, please don't hesitate to contact me. I can't discuss exactly what happens at today's hearing but I'll be happy to point you in the right direction
Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #138
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

I haven't posted for a long time but for good reason. I've been keeping a very low profile. After losing the manufacturer-sponsored BBB Autoline arbitration hearing (which is a damned joke if you ask me), I hired an attorney. Having legal representation certainly wasn't cheap, but it was the best decision I've ever made regarding my Focus. LONG story short, the vibration was magically heard again at the pre-hearing inspection, Ford settled with me, and as of today the car is gone.

Good riddance. I just sent Ford's CEO a letter over this whole debacle. I'm back in the market for a car, and how in the world could I ever think to buy a Ford ever again? Ford has lost a diehard loyal fan for life.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #139
philh
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89520
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 philh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
The FSE has been looking at the car all day. He has ordered a new power steering gearbox that will be installed on the car tomorrow to address the one time that the power steering failed on me. They will take care of that passenger side windshield wiper recall while its in. Still no word back yet about the vibration on the car.

While I'm here, I might as well post all of the new parts put on the car to date. I never got an invoice from my previous visit, so I asked for one yesterday. This one is the most informative by far...

CONCERN: Customer states humming noise at 50-60 mph/ Install SOP Wheel Bearings ship by FSE (name redacted by me). Wheel bearings, intermediate shaft bearing, tires installed LF and RF wheel bearings sent by Ford. Noise is still present at this time. Installed RF halfshaft and bearing assembly torqued bearing strap nuts at 18 ft lb. Torqued lower control arm pinch bolts to 61 ft lb. And torqued halfshaft nuts to 59 ft lb plus 90 degrees. Concern is still present. Replaced rear tires faith known good tires OK at this time

Part Number, Description, Quantity
FMC CV6Z 1215 A, Bearing ASY- Wheel, 2
FMC BV6Z 3B436 B, Shaft - Front Axle, 1
FMC YS4Z 3N324 AA, Retainer - Bearing, 1
FMC W715491 S442, Bolt, 4
SPO W520415 S442, Nut - Locking, 4
SPO W520415 S442, Nut, 4
SPO CV6Z 3B477 A, Retainer, 2
FMC YS4Z 3N324 AA, Retainer - Bearing, 1

CONCERN: Customer states power steering went out/ light came on/ customer restored and car steering was OK. Ran self test found code U3000:49 cleared code road tested OK at this time
Before you got rid of the car, did Ford ever locate the source of the problem causing the humming noise? Any solution?

Mine does the same thing and the dealer has no evidence that this is happening with other vehicles and what the solution might be.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #140
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

No, the service dealer and the Ford Field Service Engineer (along with all of the minds up at the Michigan Focus Group) couldn't find the cause. They ended up buying my car back when I hired legal representation for my hearing before the Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board.

All of the above parts that they installed, along with the new tires and 4 wheel computer alignment paid for out of my pocket when Ford started ignoring the problem did nothing to alleviate the issue.

If your service dealer wants to contact the one I was visiting, my service dealer was Ford of Clermont (352) 394-6161. Service Manager is Claude Nabel. I'm sure they'll remember my car seeing how I had to bring it back 7 times. Don't know if they will help much though considering they buttoned up and claimed my car was conformed to warranty when push came to shove.

EDIT: Just realized those were the parts for a single visit. Here's a quick summary of fixes they attempted for just the vibration issue I had:

Ford's attempts:
Rotated tires
Checked tire balance
Replaced 2 rear tires
Replaced front wheel bearings (TWICE)
Replaced the front right axle shaft
Replaced front right intermediate bearings

My attempts:
4 wheel computerized alignment
4 all new Yokohama tires

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.