2012 Roof Rack Install - THULE AeroBlades! - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #51
krudolph
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 98956
Location: san francisco, CA
What I Drive: 2007 Mazda 3

Posts: 1
FF Reputation: 1 krudolph Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mind the gap

Thanks for posting Wilson! I'm wondering what you think about using the Prologue sleds on the Aeroblades. I just bought the exact same setup as you have and am a bit miffed about the way the sleds mount to the front blades.

As I saw, and see in your photos, the sled sits up about an inch off of the top of the blade. This both looks a bit wonky and exposes the bolts in an odd way.

I've tried to contact Thule to make sure this is ok to drive with but have not heard anything back yet. What are your thoughts? I have experimented a bit and noticed that I can get the sled to mount flush if I love it back on the blade a bit and only use 1 screw to hold it in place. This 'looks' better but might not be as secure as the 2 bolt method advised in the instructions.

Anyhow, hope you can give me your opinion having used the setup.

Thanks!
Kyle
krudolph is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #52
spike8807
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Fan#: 74430
Location: H town, MI
What I Drive: 2013 performance Blue ST2

Posts: 54
FF Reputation: 1 spike8807 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
What size aero blades are u running im gonna try and squeeze 4 bikes on my st with 53 inch aero blades and 4 tire carriers.....hoping for the best
spike8807 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #53
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict
 
wilsonfocus86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Fan#: 23099
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

Posts: 1,156
FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudolph View Post
Thanks for posting Wilson! I'm wondering what you think about using the Prologue sleds on the Aeroblades. I just bought the exact same setup as you have and am a bit miffed about the way the sleds mount to the front blades.

As I saw, and see in your photos, the sled sits up about an inch off of the top of the blade. This both looks a bit wonky and exposes the bolts in an odd way.

I've tried to contact Thule to make sure this is ok to drive with but have not heard anything back yet. What are your thoughts? I have experimented a bit and noticed that I can get the sled to mount flush if I love it back on the blade a bit and only use 1 screw to hold it in place. This 'looks' better but might not be as secure as the 2 bolt method advised in the instructions.

Anyhow, hope you can give me your opinion having used the setup.

Thanks!
Kyle
I definitely wouldn't use just one screw to secure it on the blade. In all truth I have had no problems at all with the way they sit on the front blades. I have traveled from Florida to Michigan, then Michigan to Louisiana with my rack up. Not a problem at all, solid as a rock (as long you as install everything correct and tighten everything down)
__________________
"If in doubt.. Flat out." - Colin McRae
wilsonfocus86 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #54
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict
 
wilsonfocus86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Fan#: 23099
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

Posts: 1,156
FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8807 View Post
What size aero blades are u running im gonna try and squeeze 4 bikes on my st with 53 inch aero blades and 4 tire carriers.....hoping for the best
53, which is the recommended size for our cars. It should work, worst comes to worst just flip flop the sleds so you have one bike front, back, front, back, because of the handle bars (if that makes sense)!

I'd like to see a picture of your car with 4 bikes up top haha!
__________________
"If in doubt.. Flat out." - Colin McRae
wilsonfocus86 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #55
spike8807
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Fan#: 74430
Location: H town, MI
What I Drive: 2013 performance Blue ST2

Posts: 54
FF Reputation: 1 spike8807 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
as soon as i get the rack mounted and the bikes on ill post a pic. right now just waiting to get 3m put on my pillars to prevent scratches from rub
spike8807 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #56
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict
 
wilsonfocus86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Fan#: 23099
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

Posts: 1,156
FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8807 View Post
as soon as i get the rack mounted and the bikes on ill post a pic. right now just waiting to get 3m put on my pillars to prevent scratches from rub
That's a good "double protection" plan I guess whatever satisfies you! The fit kit and feet are all rubberized, and I think they are really good just how they sit. Not one hiccup, scratch etc, with all the miles I've put on my car with the rack on! I've been extremely happy how they have held up thus far
__________________
"If in doubt.. Flat out." - Colin McRae
wilsonfocus86 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #57
thisisbenji
Focus Enthusiast
 
thisisbenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102558
Location: Wadsworth, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Red SE

Posts: 183
Points 674, Level 13
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 thisisbenji Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think four bikes would fit well. I only have two on mine, but I mounted the bikes pretty wide and there's plenty of room in between. It seems to me that the aeroblades create more room over the standard setup.


Untitled by Benji Reynolds, on Flickr
thisisbenji is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #58
spike8807
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Fan#: 74430
Location: H town, MI
What I Drive: 2013 performance Blue ST2

Posts: 54
FF Reputation: 1 spike8807 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
hmmmm maybe ill just do the jams but not the pillar
spike8807 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #59
spike8807
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Fan#: 74430
Location: H town, MI
What I Drive: 2013 performance Blue ST2

Posts: 54
FF Reputation: 1 spike8807 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
That's a good "double protection" plan I guess whatever satisfies you! The fit kit and feet are all rubberized, and I think they are really good just how they sit. Not one hiccup, scratch etc, with all the miles I've put on my car with the rack on! I've been extremely happy how they have held up thus far
How many miles have u put with the rack on and how often do u remove it
spike8807 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #60
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict
 
wilsonfocus86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Fan#: 23099
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

Posts: 1,156
FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8807 View Post
How many miles have u put with the rack on and how often do u remove it
I would have to say since owning the rack, the number of miles is up to 3,000+. Along with all the small trips I take on the weekend to a trail, then Up North Michigan and back from Detroit, etc, there are the big trip numbers also when I moved back to Michigan from Florida > ~1,100 miles: Two bikes on rack. Then recently when I moved from Michigan to (stopped in Arkansas to spend a day with a friend) Louisiana > 1,400 miles: One bike, one Thule sidekick cargo box. I really only put it up when I want to go riding (or move haha), apart from that I take it off because although I have all the locks, I don't want to leave an expensive rack on (also cutting into wind resistance each day w or w/o bikes). I have it down to a science where my saying is, "10 minutes up, 5 minutes down". Just how I do it.
__________________
"If in doubt.. Flat out." - Colin McRae

Last edited by wilsonfocus86; 10-19-2012 at 03:20 PM.
wilsonfocus86 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.