2012 Roof Rack Install - THULE AeroBlades! - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #41
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Some updated photos!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #42
stownsend
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94537
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 stownsend Good Standing Member
What is the spread width between the bars? Looking for a rack to fit two kayaks would have to go with 60 inch bars to keep the yak flat and hull up.

Already have yakima bars from my jeep so trying to decide between Yakima and Thule.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #43
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Yeah these bars are just the 53" ones. The spread from center of the front foot to the center of the rear foot distance is 27" on the hatch, (and sedan is 24 1/2"). Those numbers come right from the installation manual. Hope that's what you mean and helps!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #44
Crypticracer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95672
What I Drive: 12' Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Crypticracer Good Standing Member
Sorry for the noob question Im a truck guy, so this car stuff is new to me. This rack that you have, could it be used with a a cargo box? Or is that a whole different system? I would think that you can buy what ever system you want as long as the bases are the same
Thanks and sorry for being a noob with racks
72' 440ci Dodge Dart - Street/Strip
69' Ford F250 4x4 - Camping/Hunting Rig
Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #45
Nelson12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95451
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport MT SGM

FF Reputation: 2 Nelson12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stownsend View Post
What is the spread width between the bars? Looking for a rack to fit two kayaks would have to go with 60 inch bars to keep the yak flat and hull up.

Already have yakima bars from my jeep so trying to decide between Yakima and Thule.
What types of kayaks do you have? You might not want 60" bars due to the overhang being a hazard to people getting in and out. My fiance used to hit her head frequently on the 50" bars on my old Jetta, especially getting out of the back seat. The Thules you see in this thread are 53" and I think that is a tad too long, however I called Thule for the measurements and they said the next size down would be too short for the tower locations. I'm pretty sure two kayak carriers will fit side by side on 53" bars. For reference here is a video for the type that carries the kayaks flat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpv3DtKJE14

I'm sure you could flip the yak over to carry the hull up however unless it's going to rain it should be fine cockpit up.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #46
stownsend
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94537
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 stownsend Good Standing Member
I have 2 Ocean Kayak Tridents sit on tops that are 27" wide that we fish tournaments with. I could use one J cradle and lay one flat. I just like em both flat.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #47
TPW2011
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94885
What I Drive: 95 Saab 900 SE, 95 Volvo 850 GLT

FF Reputation: 1 TPW2011 Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=wilsonfocus86;4032823]The reason I wouldn't do that with a sunroof is that when you want it open, you're going to hear all the buffering of the wind coming off those blades...I've tried it before at speed, and it can get pretty violent if the wind is really whipping lol. I've got it down to a science where I can put the blades up in 10 mins, and take them off in 5! To each his own though :)

Wilson - first, I love the way you car looks! The wheels, the color and the rack just work so well.

I was wonder if you could explain what you mean when you say you can take the blades off. I'm guessing the blades are the cross bars, yes? Do you remove those and then leave the posts (feet?) up, or do you take the whole thing down - feet and cross bars? I'm having a hard time visualizing how it looks with the rack "down," do you have a picture of what it looks like?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #48
Nelson12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95451
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport MT SGM

FF Reputation: 2 Nelson12 Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=TPW2011;4099047]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
The reason I wouldn't do that with a sunroof is that when you want it open, you're going to hear all the buffering of the wind coming off those blades...I've tried it before at speed, and it can get pretty violent if the wind is really whipping lol. I've got it down to a science where I can put the blades up in 10 mins, and take them off in 5! To each his own though :)

Wilson - first, I love the way you car looks! The wheels, the color and the rack just work so well.

I was wonder if you could explain what you mean when you say you can take the blades off. I'm guessing the blades are the cross bars, yes? Do you remove those and then leave the posts (feet?) up, or do you take the whole thing down - feet and cross bars? I'm having a hard time visualizing how it looks with the rack "down," do you have a picture of what it looks like?

Thanks!
The posts have a clamp mechanism, where that piece you see going under the door frame is how the posts tighten down. To remove the rack you simply loosen all four posts (they call them feet) and remove the entire thing. The blades stay attached to the feet, and any attachments stay attached to the blades. The bike trays help preserve the distance the feet need to mount apart from each other, so it should go on the exact same way without too much trouble or measuring.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #49
TPW2011
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94885
What I Drive: 95 Saab 900 SE, 95 Volvo 850 GLT

FF Reputation: 1 TPW2011 Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=Nelson12;4100080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPW2011 View Post

The posts have a clamp mechanism, where that piece you see going under the door frame is how the posts tighten down. To remove the rack you simply loosen all four posts (they call them feet) and remove the entire thing. The blades stay attached to the feet, and any attachments stay attached to the blades. The bike trays help preserve the distance the feet need to mount apart from each other, so it should go on the exact same way without too much trouble or measuring.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I only asked because the other day I saw a 3-Series with a rack on it, but the cross bars had been detached, so the roof had these four plastic feet sticking up in the air -- sorta like four prehensile dorsal fins. It looked terrible.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #50
cmmike1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63736
What I Drive: 2008 Silver Coupe SES

Points 1,055, Level 17
Points: 1,055, Level: 17 Points: 1,055, Level: 17 Points: 1,055, Level: 17
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cmmike1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
have you looked into any fairings?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.