Focus is very fun to drive || better than Honda Prelude?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2004, 12:52 AM   #1
autocrossman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9968
What I Drive: 04 zx5 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 autocrossman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus is very fun to drive || better than Honda Prelude??

The upgrade to the Eiback Pro suspension definately makes the ride more enjoyable. I would highly recommend this setup. It's not too bumpy and it handles 200% better than stock. I have driven many cars for dealerships and this car is rated 9.5 out of 10 on the scale of 1 being the worst and 10 being the best ride. For most people, this is the suspension setup to have. I know that the 1.5" drop is perfect drop for this car. If you are looking for a really bumpy setup, but even less body roll, I would recomment the 2.25" drop, with 18" wheels/tires.

Duratec 2.3L engine is the engine to have in this car. I had a Nissan Maxima and it had the same pull as my car now, except that the Maxima had 200hp and a 3.0L V6.

Marcy Motorsport cold air intake really makes the biggest difference in sound and performance in this car. I love the throttle plate noise after 3,000 RPMs.. It sounds like a little tiny turbo spooling up. I can hear it inside the car and sometime on the highway. Definately turns heads..

I see a lot of potential for this new engine and I think it would go as far as being the competitor to the already famous Honda Prelude VTEC H22A engine (200hp). I was going to buy a Prelude a while ago but the problem was that the car weighs almost 3000 lbs. My Focus is so light that any modification to the horsepower tweak, this car flies.

I definately think that this car should come standard with LSD. Perhaps the Focus community can give a hint to Ford to come out with a RS in US. I personaly like the idea of modifying, but when you look at the car insurance point of view, you start to think what would happen if someone were to hit you. All the investment would go down the drain. This is why I'm scared to put a turbo on my car. I don't know of any insurance company that would cover that damage. Anyways, my main reason for posting this thread is to pay a tribute to this great car and hopefully most of you will agree with me. Peace.

Last edited by autocrossman; 10-10-2004 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #2
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I agree... It's funny how you mentioned the H22 Prelude Engine.
I watched as my friend put one in a Honda civic hatchback yesterday.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:01 AM   #3
autocrossman
Focus Enthusiast

h22a is a good engine, but Honda could have made a lot of money by having that engine in a Civic SI. $20,000 would probably be the cost for one of those, but it would break into 13s at the track STOCK.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
P0WeRbyDuratec
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2109
What I Drive: 2012 WRX Limited

FF Reputation: 1 P0WeRbyDuratec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
the bigger mistake is not bringing the CTR to the states.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
autocrossman
Focus Enthusiast

what is a CTR?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:48 AM   #6
Kamui
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10647
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red ZX3 5SP Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Kamui Good Standing Member
Civic Type R I believe CTR means
Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 PM   #7
autocrossman
Focus Enthusiast

honda civic type R is a nice car, but I don't lake that it's not a coupe.. civic hatchback is ugly looking, but that's my opinion.

One thing that I do wonder is the difference between the Mazda 3 engine because that car has the same duratec engine.. with more horsepower. ooo.. It's going to be a new thread topic...
Old 10-12-2004, 06:23 AM   #8
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by autocrossman
...One thing that I do wonder is the difference between the Mazda 3 engine because that car has the same duratec engine.. with more horsepower. ooo.. It's going to be a new thread topic...
My understanding is that the one major difference in the Mazda 3 is variable valve timing. Probably some detail differences in the intake and exhaust but I'm just guessing there. The 2.3 makes 160HP @ 6500 and 150 ft-lb @ 4500 in the Mazda.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 10-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #9
brads03zx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10313
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 brads03zx3 Good Standing Member
The new FF magazine has an entire article about it. The new Focus ST vs Mazda 3. They basically said in almost every test, they picked the 3. Much more fun to drive and they said "begs to be driven" instead of just a mode of transportation. The numbers, as far as accel and power, are almost identical. The 3 has more tire and suspension from the factory and a nicer interior. The article mentions that even though the mazda motor has slightly higher numbers, it probably has to do with differences in rating procedures...but maybe also because of variable intake timing. Sorry for the long post. Take care.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:21 AM   #10
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by brads03zx3
The new FF magazine has an entire article about it. The new Focus ST vs Mazda 3. They basically said in almost every test, they picked the 3. Much more fun to drive and they said "begs to be driven" instead of just a mode of transportation. The numbers, as far as accel and power, are almost identical. The 3 has more tire and suspension from the factory and a nicer interior. The article mentions that even though the mazda motor has slightly higher numbers, it probably has to do with differences in rating procedures...but maybe also because of variable intake timing. Sorry for the long post. Take care.
Hey Brad:

So FF mag (what's that, Fast Focus?) picked the 3, huh? Interesting. Just wondering, do they comment on the price difference? I thought the ST was like $16K realistically and the 3 was closer to $20K.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->