DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 96 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #951
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hello everyone,

There are some threads that are growing by leaps and bound; this be one of them! So I'm going to post in general and answer questions as well as concerns as best as I can.

If you are a U.S resident, I will be more than happy to escalate your concern to the Customer Service Manger in your area. Please PM me with the VIN, current mileage, your personal contact info, and dealer name/location.

For our Canadian owners, please contact Ford of Canada's Customer Relationship Center at 1.800.565.3673. The representative will document and provide you the best assistance for your concern.

If you have already sent me the necessary info, I'm diligently working my way through your cases and thank you in advance for your patience.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #952
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
There is supposed to be a recall coming out on the windshield wiper issue.
You ar right, they did say recall, and my dealership was aware of it, and said mine had the issue. Loose wiper blade and the motor housing was cracked.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #953
DBrim
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97130
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 DBrim Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrim View Post
I'll try driving harder but there are times where I need to be a bit gentler (traffic). I definitely notice the stutter more if I am going with less gas. I'll try giving it more when I can and see if it fixes it when I can't.
Did that on my 13 mile commute home. This car is a ton of fun when you can leadfoot it. When I arrived at the apartment complex, I tried slowly creeping forward and the shifts between first and second were smoother than before.

I'm probably going on a ~400 mile highway trip tomorrow, but when I'm accelerating from a stop I'll keep it up with the more gas. It isn't great on gas mileage, but it feels way better.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #954
jernel
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97410
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SFE

FF Reputation: 1 jernel Good Standing Member
I just bought a used 2012 Focus SFE. Built in April-2011. It had the shuddering issues when coasting in drive from a dead stop. Local dealer did the computer upgrade (TSB dated 4/1/12). The problem is now fixed. It drives wonderful now. You have to understand that it is a totally different transmission than what we are use to. Theres no torque converter. Its electronically controlled to smooth out the shifts. Its really a pleasure to drive now. Youy cant expect it to act like the regular trannies. Also all the newer ones (built in Nov-11 and later) have an upgrade. thank you Ford engineers for fixing the annoyance. Some of this is known and is old news, but if anyone else is having this problem, this should help you. Get the fix. And after they do it drive normal, the car memorizes your habits for a bit and adjusts the trans accordingly. If you mess up and drive too rough, disconnect the negative battery terminal and that will reset the computer. Never tried it though, but was told it will work. You can teach the trans how you drive again.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #955
jernel
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97410
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SFE

FF Reputation: 1 jernel Good Standing Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
I'm kind of surprised that no one has officially killed the idea that there is an *-06 update out there and that *-02 is the latest.

Is there an actual Furd person on here to deny/confirm?

I just bought a used 2012 Focus SFE. Built in April-2011. It had the shuddering issues when coasting in drive from a dead stop. Local dealer did the computer upgrade (TSB dated 4/1/12). The problem is now fixed. It drives wonderful now. You have to understand that it is a totally different transmission than what we are use to. Theres no torque converter. Its electronically controlled to smooth out the shifts. Its really a pleasure to drive now. Youy cant expect it to act like the regular trannies. Also all the newer ones (built in Nov-11 and later) have an upgrade. Thank you Ford engineers for fixing the annoyance. Some of this is known and is old news, but if anyone else is having this problem, this should help you. Get the fix. And after they do it drive normal, the car memorizes your habits for a bit and adjusts the trans accordingly. If you mess up and drive too rough, disconnect the negative battery terminal and that will reset the computer. Never tried it though, but was told it will work. You can teach the trans how you drive again.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #956
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Just some links for people to explore -- the more people who report incidents means a greater chance of proving this is a design flaw.

http://www.mycarstats.com/reports/fo...omplaints.aspx
(look at the numbers with the highest values - I can only vouch for the transmission issue, but I do recall the steering issue being addressed in 2011... the other issues are more likely due to one-off problems than a design flaw. )

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2012/...n/problem.aspx

As of this time of posting there are 19 complaints.

It might help to sign up and file a complaint - when doing so that site links to NHTSA:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

There are lemon laws at the State level as well. But tell your story on these sites. Many people are.

What bugs me is that this same design is sold in Europe - if they are not having the same transmission problems but US drivers are, what's the difference and the fix can probably be found within.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #957
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jernel View Post
I just bought a used 2012 Focus SFE. Built in April-2011. It had the shuddering issues when coasting in drive from a dead stop. Local dealer did the computer upgrade (TSB dated 4/1/12). The problem is now fixed. It drives wonderful now. You have to understand that it is a totally different transmission than what we are use to. Theres no torque converter. Its electronically controlled to smooth out the shifts. Its really a pleasure to drive now. Youy cant expect it to act like the regular trannies. Also all the newer ones (built in Nov-11 and later) have an upgrade. thank you Ford engineers for fixing the annoyance. Some of this is known and is old news, but if anyone else is having this problem, this should help you. Get the fix. And after they do it drive normal, the car memorizes your habits for a bit and adjusts the trans accordingly. If you mess up and drive too rough, disconnect the negative battery terminal and that will reset the computer. Never tried it though, but was told it will work. You can teach the trans how you drive again.
Assuming the dealer applies the fix. Mine was built in December 2011, but the 12-1-4 (Jan 4 2012, please correct me if I'm wrong on that?) was not applied to mine. (I asked and was told Ford doesn't hand out fixes to be blindly applied to all cars... to make that story short...)

I think I might try the battery disconnect trick and see what happens. Can't make things any worse than what's happening now, which is sufficiently random. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #958
BarryL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91128
What I Drive: 2012, Oxford White S model sedan

FF Reputation: 1 BarryL Good Standing Member
Both of mine are pretty smooth, but they are both driven vigorously. I can still make them do the shudder if I want to, at low speeds from a start, by going too easy on the gas.

I think the low speed shudder is like having manual trans, but not being able to slip the clutch while adding a few more rpm at that low speed like we would would normally. The computer won't let us rev a little, then let the clutch out. Those who haven't ever driven a manual probably won't get what I'm saying.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #959
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by jernel View Post
[

Yes it is diffrent but its not what ford had in mind. You can be sure that in the future ford is going to refine it. 2013 wont be like this at all so when people say it great i just dont no why when the improved and better of is kind is to be put in the 2013 model. For will have to make it work the way it was meant to be on the drafting table. What we have now is nothing more than a prototype.GLTY
Old 04-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #960
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
I perused the complaint links and couldn't believe what I read from MO, about left foot braking.

This clueless driver had the audacity to post potentially fatal consequences because of his dangerous braking habits! In essence, blaming Ford for whatever happens due to his ignorance.

Unbelievable!

MY WIFE DOES THIS! She will not listen to reason, so I drive her car when we are both in it, and she does not drive my car, period.

The more I read, the more I shook my head. While there are very real and legitimate complaints, many of them appear to be rambling-on about their issues, real or imagined.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->