DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #81
Starfury
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86844
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Starfury Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentonFocus View Post
reflash also cured the rpm surge when coming to a stop...

...i do not know what the affects on gas milage will be, but TSB was not supposed to lower milage.
With the RMP flares that I get on all of the hills I drive on, it can't help but better the fuel mileage. Those surges are eating-up fuel for no good reason. May not help a ton over the course of a tank, but it surely won't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #82
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Hmmm....so some of us weren't crazy when we were "whining" and "complaning" about the shift quality, shuttering, and grinding of the PowerShift transmission. We were told by Ford it was "normal" and by many FF members that were valiantly defending Ford that we just didn't understand how a dual clutch transmission works.

And I see that some of the Ford defenders were the very first to schedule an appointment to have their transmission software reflashed. Hmmmm.

I would like to note that without the "complainers" that kept on Ford day after day and had to wait 6+ months while being told it's "normal", they would of had less of a reason to rewrite the code and we would still be stuck with the crappy software.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #83
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
After several days of driving with the update, I can say I do feel a difference. While I still have some shudder at a stop, I can't say I've felt any at low speeds like I've tried to reproduce, and as stated before, the transmission is more willing to downshift when I give it some gas. Throttle response, thus, is much better than before, when I would also get the dead spots through corners and at stoplights.

Overall, much more capable feeling car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Hmmm....so some of us weren't crazy when we were "whining" and "complaning" about the shift quality, shuttering, and grinding of the PowerShift transmission. We were told by Ford it was "normal" and by many FF members that were valiantly defending Ford that we just didn't understand how a dual clutch transmission works.

And I see that some of the Ford defenders were the very first to schedule an appointment to have their transmission software reflashed. Hmmmm.

I would like to note that without the "complainers" that kept on Ford day after day and had to wait 6+ months while being told it's "normal", they would of had less of a reason to rewrite the code and we would still be stuck with the crappy software.
Noted and understood, but a lot of us also didn't complain about our transmissions before and got along just fine, and opted to get the update to see what was actually changed. In my case, I only ever really had shudder at stops and occasionally at low speeds, it wasn't anything I couldn't live with, but I will admit that the update has made the car more responsive to throttle input, without a doubt.

I see your point, without complainers Ford wouldn't fix the issue, but at the same time, threads upon threads upon threads of the same complaint on a forum isn't doing much to help that cause, just cluttering the boards, that's why I'm always urging new posters posting already established problems to post up in relevant threads.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 11-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #84
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
After several days of driving with the update, I can say I do feel a difference. While I still have some shudder at a stop, I can't say I've felt any at low speeds like I've tried to reproduce, and as stated before, the transmission is more willing to downshift when I give it some gas. Throttle response, thus, is much better than before, when I would also get the dead spots through corners and at stoplights.

Overall, much more capable feeling car now.
Thanks for the follow-up and honest feedback after some time with it feta. Also, thanks for taking some time and revisiting the topic instead of just saying "Got it done. Everything is great!".

Based on your, and others on this this thread, experience I'll definitely insist this gets done when I go in for first service.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #85
RedsGT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83174
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 RedsGT Good Standing Member
Got it done. Everything is great!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #86
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88103
What I Drive: 2014 ST3

FF Reputation: 3 underbird10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsGT View Post
Got it done. Everything is great!
Now that's funny right there..... I don't care who you are!!!!

My other rides -2006 Performance White Mustang GT Coupe, 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Mustang Coupe, 2013 Edge Limited
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #87
Creamsicle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91108
What I Drive: 2012 Ti hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Creamsicle Good Standing Member
I called my dealer to schedule the update (build date Aug 4th, I just barely missed it) and they told me they'd have to keep the car for a few hours / road test, etc. I griped a little about that, told them the symptoms matched perfectly whta the TSB was intended to address but they wouldn't budge.

So now I'm going to wait until 5k miles when it's time for the first free oil change and let them do both together. Will have to live with the slushbox performance until then. This won't hurt anything will it?

Disappointed in the response by my dealer (Liberty Ford, Baltimore MD)
Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #88
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
I was so mad yesterday, my car seemed to revert back to it's old jerky sluggish ways... but I'm hoping that was just the last day of the re-learning process, because today it was silky smooth, better than it's ever been, and it felt great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamsicle View Post
I called my dealer to schedule the update (build date Aug 4th, I just barely missed it) and they told me they'd have to keep the car for a few hours / road test, etc. I griped a little about that, told them the symptoms matched perfectly whta the TSB was intended to address but they wouldn't budge.

So now I'm going to wait until 5k miles when it's time for the first free oil change and let them do both together. Will have to live with the slushbox performance until then. This won't hurt anything will it?

Disappointed in the response by my dealer (Liberty Ford, Baltimore MD)
I wouldn't wait if I can help it... just gives them another reason to say no, in case they try to give you the business about "waiting too long with a problem making it worse" or something stupid like that.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #89
sprcoop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91034
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Met, 201A, Sport, 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 sprcoop Good Standing Member
Got the update done Thursday while the car was in for a couple other things. The other things were keyless entry install, "buzz" in the dash on slightly rough roads and the intermittent nature of the A/C.

First the tranny update. Before it was done I never felt the "shudder" at any speed but did notice some gear hunting and sluggish take off but nothing too irritating. I did have the 70 degree startup in the temp so the update was gonna happen. The wife picked it up on Friday afternoon and I didn't get a chance to drive it until today. I liked it before but now I'm questioning the wisdom of ordering mine with a manual. SWEET!

Drive like a grandma (not from Pasedena) and you can't even tell it's shifting other than watch the tack oscillate 500rpm. A little more gas and it shifts closer to 3K. Seems a little high but I could get used to it very fast and it may change as the tranny relearns. I semi punched it getting out of traffic on a left turn and it was impressive. Still no "shudder" at any speed and I tried 3mph and even took my foot off the brake and let it creep a few times.

They said they fixed the "buzz" but only managed to cause 3 others. Either they cropped up after the wife picked it up (I kept asking if it was gone but got a "I haven't noticed" answer) or the guy that test drove it was deaf (or they didn't test drive it). Going back for that.

When the wife demonstrated the A/C for the service manager he admitted it was not right but by the time she got it back deemed it normal operation. Which it may be but still if it is "normal" to the designer is broken to anyone that wants A/C. Still not finished with that. A/C is kind of important in Tucson. When it doesn't work as well as a 10 year old Nissan Frontier or a 10 year old Corolla there's a problem.

Got the keyless entry installed though.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #90
FordFan1265
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86017
What I Drive: TBM '12 FoFo SE hatch w/ Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 2 FordFan1265 Good Standing Member
So I got my car back last night after the flash and I definitely see some differences. Some seemingly pretty good and some I'll have to learn to love I suppose. The higher shift points kinda make me wonder about gas mileage in the long run (but Ford claims it won't hurt mpg's so we'll see). The new shift points do seem more intuitive and smooth almost like a true automatic though (but it still proves it's not when you stop on an incline and it offers up that little roll-back like a manual). Since it's relearning my habits I have noticed a few stumbles/rough shifts when I've had to stray from the norm (but I predict these will go away). One concern I have, but don't want to assume is permanent yet because I'm only on day two of the re-learning process is that even though lower speed driving seems vastly improved, it seems to be less willing to respond at higher speeds. I found today when I was cruising along at 55-60 and needed to speed up to around 70 it took more pressure to do so than before the flash and it proceeded to downshift rather than smoothly climb to speed (this is less time consuming and more fun for play-time of course, but less friendly on gas). I bet the kinks will work therir way out and it'll be all good, otherwise Ford wouldn't have recommended it. I haven't played with sport or select-shift mode since the flash as I want to give it a few days to learn my habits again in drive before I play with it too much. Plus I'm at a quarter tank and trying to make it last until payday. Will post any other findings as the come.

Hatch Nation #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks