DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 84 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #831
chum567
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86507
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 chum567 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
5/2011 Build

Got the update today in the mail.....when I saw the blue shiny package i knew exactly what it was....installing right now and will test everything throughout the weekend and will report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #832
Silver 2012 Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93854
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Silver 2012 Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum567 View Post
5/2011 Build

Got the update today in the mail.....when I saw the blue shiny package i knew exactly what it was....installing right now and will test everything throughout the weekend and will report back.
They sent you a transmission update in the mail?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #833
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Take it back to the dealer they will put a new version of software in the computer and it will be all better on your way home .Make yourself a happy focus owner and get it done.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #834
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 2012 Focus View Post
MFT, they posted in the wrong thread.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #835
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 2012 Focus View Post
I think he meant to post in the MFT thread.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #836
pra2veen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86954
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch (Kona Blue)

FF Reputation: 1 pra2veen Good Standing Member
My transmission acted weird at two different occasions. I took a right turn at a light and tried to accelerate away, when the car would rev but wouldn't move. It felt like I was revving in Neutral (I was in D). I tried shifting the car to S and back but that didn't help. Same thing with Neutral. Luckily I could pull to the side and turn off the engine and turn it back on and it started working fine again. It kinda freaked me out and would've been bad if there was another car coming behind me. This happened only twice and the service guy couldn't replicate it, obviously.
Anyway, I got my first service done (at 9100mi) and, although I didn't ask them to, they applied the TSB 12-1-4.
The car feels no different to me and I'm happy the service guys at least did something to fix the issue :)
I will update if I face the issue again.

edit: I also got the TSB 11-10-1, to fix the issue where the remote lock doesn't work for a few seconds after turning off the car. This delay was almost 10 seconds at times.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #837
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pra2veen View Post
My transmission acted weird at two different occasions. I took a right turn at a light and tried to accelerate away, when the car would rev but wouldn't move. It felt like I was revving in Neutral (I was in D). I tried shifting the car to S and back but that didn't help. Same thing with Neutral. Luckily I could pull to the side and turn off the engine and turn it back on and it started working fine again. It kinda freaked me out and would've been bad if there was another car coming behind me. This happened only twice and the service guy couldn't replicate it, obviously.
The same exact thing happened to me 2 weeks ago while I test drove a brand new 2012 Focus (SE sedan). I was taking a left turn into a side road and the PowerShift transmission decided to stop shifting without any warning. Out of frustration I tried to floor it and the revs simply bounced off the limiter like I was in neutral. It wasn't until I took my foot off completely and pushed on the gas pedal again when it finally decided to shift and let me accelerate.

I glanced over at the salesman while all of this was happening and he just shrugged at me with a stupid look on his face. Luckily I cleared the intersection before this fun moment started, because both of us would've been pancaked by an incoming 18-wheeler. TSB or not I don't have much confidence in PowerShift after my brief test drive. It's a shame because aside from that it really was fun to drive. I mostly liked the fact that there was absolutely no noticeable throttle delay—which is definitely a rarity with cars these days.

The other thing that bugged me were the terrible Ford dealerships in my area. I've checked out FOUR separate dealerships in person and every single one of them had idiotic salesmen. They either had a very poor "don't give a shit" attitude with me or they simply didn't know a damn thing about their own cars. One of them stubbornly insisted a Fiesta sedan was a Focus. Another one at another dealership brought me over to a Fusion! Seriously??!

For the record I love what Ford is doing with their new lineup. It's not hard to see that they've come a long way. It just sucks that the actual dealership network sours the experience badly. On top of that I don't think a car's transmission should take a dump during a potential customer's first test drive. I guess I'll have to wait and see how the 2013 model turns out. So far it looks like I'm favoring the Golf TDI more. :-/
Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #838
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
The same exact thing happened to me 2 weeks ago while I test drove a brand new 2012 Focus (SE sedan). I was taking a left turn into a side road and the PowerShift transmission decided to stop shifting without any warning. Out of frustration I tried to floor it and the revs simply bounced off the limiter like I was in neutral. It wasn't until I took my foot off completely and pushed on the gas pedal again when it finally decided to shift and let me accelerate.

I mostly liked the fact that there was absolutely no noticeable throttle delay—which is definitely a rarity with cars these days.
It's kind of amazing the wide variety of experiences people are having with this car. You experienced a tranny meltdown but no throttle delay. I've never had any significant tranny hesitation, but the thottle delay is generally much worse for me than on any conventional auto car I've driven. A bunch of folks on another thread a few weeks ago agreed.

Is there really such a wide range of behavior with these DCTs or is it all about the driver's frame of reference and experience?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #839
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
I was so mad yesterday, my car seemed to revert back to it's old jerky sluggish ways... but I'm hoping that was just the last day of the re-learning process, because today it was silky smooth, better than it's ever been, and it felt great!

I wouldn't wait if I can help it... just gives them another reason to say no, in case they try to give you the business about "waiting too long with a problem making it worse" or something stupid like that.
I dont agree with the relearning of the transmission . Once the software is updated it is going to follow that program and nothing else. I had mine done and it is shifting right that is because it is following the new program on the software update.Your clutch may have to resaet itself and make a new wear pattern.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #840
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
It's kind of amazing the wide variety of experiences people are having with this car. You experienced a tranny meltdown but no throttle delay. I've never had any significant tranny hesitation, but the thottle delay is generally much worse for me than on any conventional auto car I've driven. A bunch of folks on another thread a few weeks ago agreed.

Is there really such a wide range of behavior with these DCTs or is it all about the driver's frame of reference and experience?
Did you have the latest TSB done to your Focus? Do you think the delay is maybe a failsafe feature that guarantees a proper gear change? For the record I was definitely driving in "D" mode at the time. I guess I should've specified that.

I can tell you right off the bat that I've never felt such a responsive car in quite a while until I got into the 2012 Focus SE. That was definitely the biggest highlight for me. By comparison, earlier that day I was playing around with the 2012 GTI and Golf TDI (both use a wet dual clutch system known as "DSG"). The VW's dual clutch system is smooth as butter and never gave me any issues. However the GTI felt like it had the same annoying throttle delay as my Rabbit. The Golf TDI felt way more fun and responsive... but that's because it had 236 lbs-ft of torque.

Gotta love diesels for that I guess. I'm still a little bitter that Ford decided not to bring the Focus TDCi over to America. I can assure you any throttle delay you feel can easily be overcome by having a proper engine with tremendous amounts of torque to play with. And a good chip/tune will bring you back up to the 160 hp range, if horsepower is a huge concern...

Bookmarks & Social Networks