DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 81 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #801
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,801, Level 32
Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, my dealer has proclaimed my pronounced clutch shudder (launch shudder after a longish highway drive) as "normal". Right...just the way the engineers drew it up, I'm sure. 2,000 miles, so by any measure the break-in period should be over.

Translation could be "we know there's an issue but don't know how to fix it" or "we know here's an issue and know how to fix it but it's expensive and we'll wait to see how many complain about it" or "huh?". None a very satisfactory answer.

Maybe they'll come up with a solution eventually, or maybe the car will outgrow it. But hope does make a lousy strategy.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #802
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,932, Level 49
Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49 Points: 5,932, Level: 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Well, my dealer has proclaimed my pronounced clutch shudder (launch shudder after a longish highway drive) as "normal". Right...just the way the engineers drew it up, I'm sure. 2,000 miles, so by any measure the break-in period should be over.

Translation could be "we know there's an issue but don't know how to fix it" or "we know here's an issue and know how to fix it but it's expensive and we'll wait to see how many complain about it" or "huh?". None a very satisfactory answer.

Maybe they'll come up with a solution eventually, or maybe the car will outgrow it. But hope does make a lousy strategy.
Yeah that is complete BS. And I'm sure the DCT fanatics on here will say "hey that's just part of the fun of owning a superior transmission." What the h*ll ever.

You should try my idea of removing the lower engine bay cover to see if it helps dissipate clutch heat. I'm getting my Focus back from my wife on Wednesday and if the "hot shudder" is still there after some stop and go I'm going to remove that cover to see if it has any effect. Probably not but it's worth a shot.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #803
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 5,932, Level 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
It reminds me on my Mustang vert. I could not find a squeak in the rear. The service manager had me drop the top while he hung his head over the side of the car while holding on to the roll bar. He tried running along the side of my car, but he got winded before he could diagnose the problem. The bike idea is a great idea! Yup ... we found the noise. it was an upper control arm in the passenger rear. But some times the sound seems to come from one place .. and when you find the pesky thing it can be some place totally different.
Wow, now that was a mechanic dedicated to his trade. Not sure you'll find many of those anymore.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #804
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,517, Level 22
Points: 1,517, Level: 22 Points: 1,517, Level: 22 Points: 1,517, Level: 22
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Its a great dealership. Very small "in town" dealership. It was a Lincoln Mercury dealership but now just Lincoln. A large dealership chain just acquired them. I think that will be the beginning of the end for them. Ford frowns on small community dealerships and pushes for large highway dealerships. That is a shame.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #805
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Got my car back yesterday from the dealer. It was in for the Steering TSB and I asked while they had it if they could apply any DCT related updates. Turns out there was one. WOW. My car was built 12/11 and I needed the Steering TSB and DCT Update. Anywho. for me the car feels like a completely different car in both respects. Not only did they fix the steering issue but more specifically the DCT feels way different. No more shudder on take off and it seems to roll through the gears really well and even to the point of almost anticipating my next move when I need more power for slight maneuvers it seems ready to drop a gear and then get quickly back to 6th. It truly feels like I'm driving a stick without having to work a manual clutch and physically shift a gear box. I'm very glad I had this done!.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #806
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,801, Level 32
Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Got my car back yesterday from the dealer. It was in for the Steering TSB and I asked while they had it if they could apply any DCT related updates. Turns out there was one. WOW. My car was built 12/11 and I needed the Steering TSB and DCT Update. Anywho. for me the car feels like a completely different car in both respects. Not only did they fix the steering issue but more specifically the DCT feels way different. No more shudder on take off and it seems to roll through the gears really well and even to the point of almost anticipating my next move when I need more power for slight maneuvers it seems ready to drop a gear and then get quickly back to 6th. It truly feels like I'm driving a stick without having to work a manual clutch and physically shift a gear box. I'm very glad I had this done!.
Interesting. I have the same production date and had the update a month or so ago. The update made no noticeable difference to me.

On the other hand, the dealer looked at my DCT again yesterday and found nothing wrong, but performed a therapeutic "memory erase". Remarkably, the memory erase seems to have made a positive difference. I had no idea the car had been through such traumatic experiences in its young life, but there you go.

With these transmissions it seems there is no one right answer; rather it's a mysterious brew of production date, software, driving stlye, environment, hardware variations, moon phase, etc. I still have to rate the DCT as about the worst transmission I have owned but it at least it's starting to approach acceptable.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #807
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 5,932, Level 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Awesome, that's good to hear. Keep us updated.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #808
Red 2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85244
What I Drive: 2012 candy red SEL; 2005 Freestyle

FF Reputation: 1 Red 2012 Good Standing Member
What continues to astound me ... and I have issues with the DCT ... is that ford engineering was allowed to design a transmission that would allow such a wide range of reactions.
Ford was the industry leader of production line same, same components development ... and to say that it takes 1000 miles to fine tune a DCT is just dumb ...

when someone buys a around town car that may go a lot a real short trips and perhaps 50 miles a week ... it's telling us to live with a DCT that won't be "right" for 20 weeks!!!

But I am now feeling that the problems with the DCT seem also to be connected with engine performance curves. In my mind there seem to be flat spots where that engine just doesn't smoothy accelerate. I find myself relying more on S ... and if it wasn't for my wife's need for an automatic ... this would not have been my choice.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #809
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 5,932, Level 49
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2012 View Post
What continues to astound me ... and I have issues with the DCT ... is that ford engineering was allowed to design a transmission that would allow such a wide range of reactions.
Ford was the industry leader of production line same, same components development ... and to say that it takes 1000 miles to fine tune a DCT is just dumb ...

when someone buys a around town car that may go a lot a real short trips and perhaps 50 miles a week ... it's telling us to live with a DCT that won't be "right" for 20 weeks!!!

But I am now feeling that the problems with the DCT seem also to be connected with engine performance curves. In my mind there seem to be flat spots where that engine just doesn't smoothy accelerate. I find myself relying more on S ... and if it wasn't for my wife's need for an automatic ... this would not have been my choice.
Yeah, I also really question Ford's choice in going with the DCT in what is supposed to be a mass appeal car. It clearly is not for everyone. They would have been better off taking the Dodge Dart's route - offering the DCT only with a turbo in an enthusiast's package. Ford should've just dropped the Fusion's 6-speed in this car and made the DCT an option. Not sure if the Fusion's 6-speed would have been compatible (probably too big) and it would have cost Ford more money to offer 2 trannys, but they would have had a runaway best seller on their hands which may have made up the difference.

Of course some say on here that VW's rollout of the DSG was no less problematic, and perhaps even worse....
Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #810
Mucrammada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91537
What I Drive: 2013 Limited WRX Hatch, 2011 CTS

FF Reputation: 1 Mucrammada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If I have a stick should i still get the update?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.