DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 80 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #791
akelley3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90272
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Metallic SEL

FF Reputation: 1 akelley3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So here's my story. I bought the car back in September and have pretty much had the shuddering problem from day one. After numerous times talking with ford customer service reps and service managers, and just as many explanations and excuses, I finally was able to get the TSB 12-1-4 performed on my car. Afterwards the difference was night and day. I was so happy and finally fully content with my purchase. However, after a few hundred miles more it started acting up again. It usually starts out smooth, but after driving for a bit it really starts acting up again. Now I didn't notice it before but I hear the transmission making noise now when shifting at the low gears. It's making that "ice machine" sound. It could have been there all along and I just didn't notice it, but who knows. I've been working with the service center (which has been really good to me by the way, I've dealt with another one that wasn't as kind) to try to figure out what's happening. They weren't able to duplicate the problem (my only guess is that they didn't drive it long enough) and so they put a Vehicle Data Recording device on my car and I push a button to record what is happening with my vehicle whenever I feel it start acting up. So they took it off my car last Friday and are sending the results to Ford to see if anything shows up.

I guess my question is what should I do if the results come up empty? What is going on with my car? Sometimes I feel like I am going crazy and my only line to sanity is this forum.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #792
jxzavier
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93194
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jxzavier Good Standing Member
I just bought my focus on March 6... love the car. Everything has been fine and dandy. Today, when starting out in normal drive, or first gear sports mode, the car shakes starting out and I can feel it vibrate in the pedal and steering wheel I believe... This just started today. My car was built a couple of weeks before I purchased it. I don't remember the exact date.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #793
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
Let us see what comes out of this one! Do you (or anyone) know if Ford will send owner's letter about this issue? That is what I deduce from the above statement.
Recalls result in letters being sent to owners of affected vehicles. TSBs are documents that help technicians fix common problems that owners may have. Letters are not sent to owners for TSBs.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #794
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95110
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

Points 264, Level 5
Points: 264, Level: 5 Points: 264, Level: 5 Points: 264, Level: 5
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by akelley3 View Post
So here's my story. I bought the car back in September and have pretty much had the shuddering problem from day one. After numerous times talking with ford customer service reps and service managers, and just as many explanations and excuses, I finally was able to get the TSB 12-1-4 performed on my car. Afterwards the difference was night and day. I was so happy and finally fully content with my purchase. However, after a few hundred miles more it started acting up again. It usually starts out smooth, but after driving for a bit it really starts acting up again. Now I didn't notice it before but I hear the transmission making noise now when shifting at the low gears. It's making that "ice machine" sound. It could have been there all along and I just didn't notice it, but who knows. I've been working with the service center (which has been really good to me by the way, I've dealt with another one that wasn't as kind) to try to figure out what's happening. They weren't able to duplicate the problem (my only guess is that they didn't drive it long enough) and so they put a Vehicle Data Recording device on my car and I push a button to record what is happening with my vehicle whenever I feel it start acting up. So they took it off my car last Friday and are sending the results to Ford to see if anything shows up.

I guess my question is what should I do if the results come up empty? What is going on with my car? Sometimes I feel like I am going crazy and my only line to sanity is this forum.
akelley3, your story is identical to mine, except our purchase dates are different. Unfortunately, your car is driving the way it was designed, although some on the FF forum claim they have never had any DCT shuddering/ice maker noise issues. Either they are extremely blessed or their level of tolerance to the shuddering is very high.

Your absolute best option is to call Ford's toll free number & get the concern elevated to a regional service manager (not affiliated with any specific dealer) & get a reference number assigned to your issue. The regional service manager will call you & keep in touch with you throughout the process, as well as coordinate with your dealer's service dept. I was/am impressed with the attention I received from the manager assigned to my case. Keep your case going as long as you are not satisfied.

I have learned to kind of live with the DST, especially after I read about how it was designed. The DST is not really an automatic transmission like those to which we are accustomed. Please read my earlier post via the following link:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...26#post4012326
Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #795
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,565, Level 53
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by akelley3 View Post
However, after a few hundred miles more it started acting up again. It usually starts out smooth, but after driving for a bit it really starts acting up again.
This is my issue too. I believe that the clutches are overheating - only explanation for the shuddering starting only after driving for a while. I'm thinking about experimenting by taking off the bottom engine bay cover and see if getting more onto the tranny case helps keep it cooler and keeps the shuddering away.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #796
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Points 1,558, Level 22
Points: 1,558, Level: 22 Points: 1,558, Level: 22 Points: 1,558, Level: 22
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
My shuddering went away after 2,000 miles.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #797
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,565, Level 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
My shuddering went away after 2,000 miles.
That's great. However there have been others with many more miles that still have it.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #798
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,558, Level 22
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
That's great. However there have been others with many more miles that still have it.
I know ... Ford's response works for me .. but there are many others it has not worked for. I still have a pesky ... "clunk clunk" at low speed that I have not figured out. Happens when creeping up to a stop sign. I am not sure if that is the dual clutch or some suspension problem.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #799
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,565, Level 53
Level Up 8% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
I know ... Ford's response works for me .. but there are many others it has not worked for. I still have a pesky ... "clunk clunk" at low speed that I have not figured out. Happens when creeping up to a stop sign. I am not sure if that is the dual clutch or some suspension problem.
Have your local Ford mechanic ride alongside you on a bike to try to diagnose it. Ha, that would be quite a sight huh?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #800
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,558, Level 22
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
It reminds me on my Mustang vert. I could not find a squeak in the rear. The service manager had me drop the top while he hung his head over the side of the car while holding on to the roll bar. He tried running along the side of my car, but he got winded before he could diagnose the problem. The bike idea is a great idea! Yup ... we found the noise. it was an upper control arm in the passenger rear. But some times the sound seems to come from one place .. and when you find the pesky thing it can be some place totally different.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.