DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 64 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #631
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterDan View Post
That's correct, S auto doesn't use 6th gear. However, I'm pretty sure putting it in S mode will cause it to downshift in other gears, too--say from 4th to 3rd. I'll have to verify that one later.
I'm pretty sure it depends on the loads the car is experiencing. I've shifted from D to S without the transmission down-shifting before. If the car is just about to shift into 4th gear in D, and you pop it into S, it'll just stay in 3rd a little longer.

Sometimes I'll pop it into S and it doesn't down-shift right away, so I'll press the (-) button as soon as it's about to auto-downshift and I'll end up double-downshifting. Next thing you know I'm at like 4500 rpm...

The good news is that the new transmission programming actually allows for double-downshifting (same-side shifts in the transmission)! Before it had to cycle through all 3 gears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #632
beto.2621
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95473
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 beto.2621 Good Standing Member
Just got the update last week and now I'm loving the car even more. The update from Ford was dated 12-2011.

The update had following improvements: Less stuttering when creeping forward or reverse, better launches, smoother shifting in 1 through 3 gears, quicker downshifts when I step on the gas, better choice by the trans of what gear to use at low speeds like in a parking lot.

Highly recommend trying to get the update from the dealers if you don't have the latest revision.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #633
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by beto.2621 View Post
Just got the update last week and now I'm loving the car even more. The update from Ford was dated 12-2011.

The update had following improvements: Less stuttering when creeping forward or reverse, better launches, smoother shifting in 1 through 3 gears, quicker downshifts when I step on the gas, better choice by the trans of what gear to use at low speeds like in a parking lot.

Highly recommend trying to get the update from the dealers if you don't have the latest revision.
The latest update is with TSB 12-1-4, as in January 2012.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #634
hoffmanr09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89468
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 hoffmanr09 Good Standing Member
Does anyone have the full tsb for the latest update? I have the 11-10-1 reprogram and ford told me they dont have any other new versions of the transmission update. Can someone help me so I can go to the dealership with some knowledge?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #635
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmanr09 View Post
Does anyone have the full tsb for the latest update? I have the 11-10-1 reprogram and ford told me they dont have any other new versions of the transmission update. Can someone help me so I can go to the dealership with some knowledge?
I'd also like to know if some of you have had multiple updates. I had the 11-10-1 one applied and it helped a lot, but still has some of the lingering shuddering and hesitation when accelerating from a start. It's tough to tell in this 50+ page thread whether some have had more than one update and whether they think each one showed additional improvement.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #636
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
I'd also like to know if some of you have had multiple updates. I had the 11-10-1 one applied and it helped a lot, but still has some of the lingering shuddering and hesitation when accelerating from a start. It's tough to tell in this 50+ page thread whether some have had more than one update and whether they think each one showed additional improvement.

Thanks!
I think there are two subsequent software updates: one from December and one from January. If you have a good dealer, they should be willing to apply these if you can describe any relevant symptoms. Mine came with the December update, but the January one didn't make much of a difference.

After this, if you still have the shudder at launch, it may mean your clutches are still "green". Some have found that 5 or 6 full throttle launches in succession hasten the break-in process and can eliminate the problem. If the problem is only at launch, there's no need to accelerate to a high speed, just enough to put the first gear clutch under a bit of stress. Most of us tend to be gentle with our cars when new; while this may (?) be an OK long-term strategy, it looks like it can contribute to the shudder problem.

A bit of launch hesitation may just be the nature of the beast. I'm hoping a future software flash makes this a bit better.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #637
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Some have found that 5 or 6 full throttle launches in succession hasten the break-in process and can eliminate the problem.
I'm one of the "some." Just to reinforce that it does seem to work.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #638
ChibanaChosin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95407
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 ChibanaChosin Good Standing Member
There was an update to PowerShift programming before December. December was the second one. I had one done to my first 2012 Focus (totaled a couple weeks ago) before December. I was going to have the December one done. The dealer said it was more involved than the first one, requiring several hours and a tech driving the car after the update to properly train it or something like that. I waited (a short time) while they did the first update. That first update made a BIG difference in responsiveness in the PowerShift programming. It was very frustrating to drive in D mode prior to that update. With this new Focus (purchased 2/15/12), I made sure they checked that it had all the current updates, so it should have everything available as of that date. It's even better than my first 2012 Focus Titanium. After that first update, I noticed much more clutch chatter and/or stuttering. This new one still has a hint of stuttering during slow starts, but it's much better, and it's noticeably better at making smart shifts and is more responsive in shifting. I need to see if the manual mode is truly manual now. I doubt it. I haven't used it much, yet.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #639
hoffmanr09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89468
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 hoffmanr09 Good Standing Member
What is the exact update i need if I have the 11-10-1 update already and im expierencing slow throttle response and shuddering. The first update helped but did not solve the problem. I would like to know the exact name of the new updated version with the tsb number so I can take it to the dealer??
Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #640
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmanr09 View Post
What is the exact update i need if I have the 11-10-1 update already and im expierencing slow throttle response and shuddering. The first update helped but did not solve the problem. I would like to know the exact name of the new updated version with the tsb number so I can take it to the dealer??
It's TSB 12-1-4.

Bookmarks & Social Networks