DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 61 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #601
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why is my Ford dealer completely unaware of any Fiesta or Focus transmission updates? I am curious to know if it would be beneficial or not.

I have to say that I have not had any problems with my 2012 Focus, whether it be with the transmission or the MyFord Touch system. It has been AWESOME since day 1, last June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #602
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKC View Post
Why is my Ford dealer completely unaware of any Fiesta or Focus transmission updates? I am curious to know if it would be beneficial or not.

I have to say that I have not had any problems with my 2012 Focus, whether it be with the transmission or the MyFord Touch system. It has been AWESOME since day 1, last June.
Awesome. If it ain't broke, don't do anything to it (no updates)!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #603
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95110
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
"Hmm. I may check with my dealer to see if they know anything about this. "

It sounds like it was a pretty common problem at least in the early builds. That and the metallic clunks and other noises that in that bulletin posted earlier Ford said was normal. Thankfully I don't have any noticeable noises or clunks, just a herky-jerky acceleration from a standstill, like a poorly driven manual. What concerns me is it all of a sudden started happening after a week and 300 miles of smooth operation. I just hope it works itself out by the end of the "1,000 mile break in period."

"As far as the DCT....I would prefer a more conventional trany and I suspect if I had known about Focus Fanatics before I leased I probably would not have gotten the Focus."

That's what I'm talking about! The DCT which in most of the early car reviews was panned is probably driving a lot of prospective buyers away, or if they bought it, giving them a negative impression of Ford.
My '12 Titanium drove beautifully/perfectly/wonderfully the first week after I got it in Ft. Worth. I was thinking that this could be the best car I've ever had. At about 600 miles (which included a 250 mile highway trip to Houston), the transmission began to lurch & shudder a lot in 1st & 2nd gears, & made horrible metallic clanking sounds when shifting. I took it to the local dealer & they installed the TSB. After that it ran much better & the metallic noises seemed to disappear but it did not run great like it did brand new. I've since taken it back 2 more times because the shudder seemed to get worse (but not as bad as it did pre-TSB). The dealer then re-installed the TSB after the car was driven for a while & the transmisssion was warmed up real good (He had previously installed it when the car was cold). After that the car drove a little better but again, not near like when it was new. I now have a reference number with Ford for this problem & have talked to my assigned rep a number of times over the past month or more, but I'm not sure what more can be done. The dealer's service manager said he could replace the clutches but was doubtful it would help. I really love everything else about the car, but that low speed shudder is really disheartening. Friends & neighbors who have ridden in the car are impressed with the looks & quality but always ask what's wrong with the transmission & say I need to get it fixed right away. I told the service manager that I want to drive another 6-speed Focus at the dealership to compare transmission performance. The thing is that I don't mind the quirky 6-speed that feels kind of like a manual transmission, BUT the shuddering in 1st & 2nd gears has to go. I would have never bought the car if I had known the transmission would drive like this. I would have probably stepped up & gotten the Taurus or Fusion. One observation I've had is that the transmission operates more smoothly before the car warms up, & especially if the outside ambient temperature is cold. I remember that the temperature was at or below freezing the day I bought the car & for about a week after that. The weather was much warmer when I arrived in Houston, but I'm not sure how much that really impacted the transmission operability. It's just an observation.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #604
kam327
-----<M>-----

Black Bengal, thanks very much for posting that. It validates my experience and concerns. My situation is almost identical. But it's really just a shuddering when accelerating from a stop and increasing revs in 1st gear. By the time it gets to 2nd it's pretty much subsided. But yeah, car was smooth as butter till about 350 miles then started doing this, and only after driving for 15-20 minutes. I didn't notice any difference on the real cold mornings we had in FL recently.

I'm reallly bummed now that you have not been able to get it fixed with the dealer. Looks like a major flaw I'm going to have to live with for years now.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #605
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95110
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
Kam327,
There could be some hope here. The service manager did say that he could replace the clutches, so that might improve things. I haven’t done that yet. Ford may even come out with an improved clutch design, although I am not an expert on clutches nor how they work so maybe this is wishful thinking (maybe someone out there on Focus Fanatics with a good knowledge of clutch design can chime in). In addition, Ford may develop better software for a TSB that may fix this completely. One thing I would recommend to all you tranny victims (like me) out there is to call the Ford service toll free number & get your tranny issue “elevated” to a service supervisor. You will get an individual reference number & the service supervisor will call you periodically & will communicate with your dealer’s service manager each time you bring it in. My reference number is tied to both my tranny problem & to my MFT problem. The car would probably be a lot more acceptable if just one of those issues was fixed; however, having 2 major problems just increases my frustration exponentially.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #606
kam327
-----<M>-----

Yeah, I did have that hope until you said you have the same situation and several dealer trips have not fixed it yet. But if it doesn't fix itself in the next 500 miles or so and I do take it in, I'll follow your advice with the 800 number.

You know, I've bought several Fords in the first model year of a redesign or major refresh and have managed to dodge a bullet up to now. Maybe my luck has finally run out......
Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #607
Red 2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85244
What I Drive: 2012 candy red SEL; 2005 Freestyle

FF Reputation: 1 Red 2012 Good Standing Member
So after a couple hundred miles on the "12-4" updates:
1. milage is 23.4 instead of 24.6 in town ... ok maybe I have to kick in the gas a bit more to compensate for ... 2
2. now has a Lugging zone at 35-40 miles an hour ... and is annoying to keep up with traffic
3. driving down driveway to turn into street ... now has developed a 1-2 second no action hesitation, which is really a problem when thinking Ihave enough time to go ...
4. now have to keep brake on whenever car is in gear or it creaps ... [actually i like that]

I continue to be more astounded each day that Ford could be dumb enough to rely on a reactive software to run this transmission. I have the feeling it is using my driving to a transmission problem ... as the way I would be driving as if the transmission was good to start with ... my overall impression is that instead of getting better with use ... it is getting worse.

So the dealer says "we need 1000 miles" to see how the transmission has reset. That has to be the biggest crock of BS any car maker has ever put out. i drive a 100 miles a week ... I got to wait 10 weeks so they can determine if the transmission has computed in?????
Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #608
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2012 View Post
So after a couple hundred miles on the "12-4" updates:
1. milage is 23.4 instead of 24.6 in town ... ok maybe I have to kick in the gas a bit more to compensate for ... 2
2. now has a Lugging zone at 35-40 miles an hour ... and is annoying to keep up with traffic
3. driving down driveway to turn into street ... now has developed a 1-2 second no action hesitation, which is really a problem when thinking Ihave enough time to go ...
4. now have to keep brake on whenever car is in gear or it creaps ... [actually i like that]

I continue to be more astounded each day that Ford could be dumb enough to rely on a reactive software to run this transmission. I have the feeling it is using my driving to a transmission problem ... as the way I would be driving as if the transmission was good to start with ... my overall impression is that instead of getting better with use ... it is getting worse.

So the dealer says "we need 1000 miles" to see how the transmission has reset. That has to be the biggest crock of BS any car maker has ever put out. i drive a 100 miles a week ... I got to wait 10 weeks so they can determine if the transmission has computed in?????
"4. now have to keep brake on whenever car is in gear or it creaps ... "

It didn't do that before? Mine does that too, like a regular auto. But in another thread someone suggested that may be helping to overheat my clutches resulting in the shudder I get when accelerating from a stop after driving for 15-20 minutes (i.e. once the clutches get good and hot). Going to try not creeping like that (going straight from brake to a hard accel) to see if it stops the shudders.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #609
Red 2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85244
What I Drive: 2012 candy red SEL; 2005 Freestyle

FF Reputation: 1 Red 2012 Good Standing Member
prior to update [April build] you could shift into gear on level ground and the only way you could tell you were in gear was to apply gas.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #610
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Has anyone heard of, or experienced a shudder when 4th gear (and 4th gear only) engages? I have the DCT. Shudder lasts a second or so on a slight incline, and a big hill makes it shudder for quite some time, until I get PO'd and manually shift-down to 3rd, or up to 5th. RPM range can be anywhere from 2K to 3K, when 4th does this.

These same inclines, 5th gear pulls fine, and of course 3rd does. Gears 1,2,3,5, and 6 seem fine, at most any rpm.

I don't get the shudder on 2nd, or 6th gear, which use the same clutch.

I've had the Oct. 2011 tranny update, and very hesitant about taking the vehicle in for evaluation, until others have this same issue, with a clear resolution. I have 3K on the ODO. Have lots of hilly terrain around here, so the tranny clutches should be quite broken-in.

I've been driving around the problem with select-shift, but don't prefer to do that.

I'm flummoxed! Don't know why the DCT keeps pickin' a fight with 4th gear?

HELP!

Bookmarks & Social Networks