DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 57 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #561
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The front compartment of the Focus is pretty roomy, so it's sure worth trying. On the other hand, don't expect to have anyone much older than 12 comfortably occupy the seat behind you - rear seat room is a bit tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #562
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Been driving mine for 10 days now. Built Dec 2nd. Had the latest update applied before taking delivery. Drove smooth up until 3 days ago. Now when the car's warmed up it stutters a little when taking off from a complete stop. Doesn't do it for the first maybe 10-15 mins after starting her up. Any ideas?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #563
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Been driving mine for 10 days now. Built Dec 2nd. Had the latest update applied before taking delivery. Drove smooth up until 3 days ago. Now when the car's warmed up it stutters a little when taking off from a complete stop. Doesn't do it for the first maybe 10-15 mins after starting her up. Any ideas?
I got the lastest TSB update done a week ago and I am very impressed with the update. In fact, I find that I rev her up more and do more spirited driving now. It is very responsive and it feels more like a 160 HP car, than a 105 HP Toyota Corolla of the mid '90s. It does not make a perfect transmission, but it is a lot better than the original programming and looking back, I am happy I took the time and got the update.

However, I do still have a little bit of that issue and also when it shifts gears, it grinds, although when I keep steady pressure, or even let up on the acceleration, it does not grind as much (or not at all). Like you mentioned in the post, I have a bit of residual shuttering (but I think that may go away over time, as it adapts). It has only been about 200 miles since I got the update and I will let the transmission adopt to the programming. I think since the dealer I got it done was located far from the highway, they were not able to do the test completely. It was done at a parking lot for about three miles (perhaps Pines Blvd, as well).

But nothing is perfect and I still keep up hope!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #564
kam327
-----<M>-----

Yeah, I only have less than 400 miles on the car so I'll wait till at least 1,000 before considering taking it in. Let it keep trying to "learn"...
Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #565
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
You are definetly in the "break in" process according to the manual. Enjoy your car and good luck with it and post updates!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #566
rrodda
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91025
What I Drive: 2012 silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 rrodda Good Standing Member
I had the update yesterday, right away I noticed how it shifted much more smoothly. I keep the avg. mileage readout showing and it now updates constantly whereas before it seemed slow to do so.
It does seem to rev up higher before shifting, likewise it is much quicker to accelerate.
I was told the PCM? was updated, the brain that controls the car. I took in a copy of the drive cycle when I picked it up and was told the tech had done it. It did have 6 miles put on it while at the dealer.
Luckily a service person knew exactly what update I needed so there was no problem getting it done.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #567
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95110
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
[/QUOTE]as well as the extra cargo space of a hatch...[/QUOTE]

The sedan actually has more cargo room than the hatchback. The cargo area is narrower in the HB. Also, the cargo space in the HB is reduced a lot when the hatch is closed.

You should have no issue with headroom as long as you DO NOT get the moorroof.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #568
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Here is a bulletin that my Ford service dept. manager gave me. You may have seen this but it is pretty interesting:

To:
All Ford And Lincoln Dealers
Subject:
EFC00562DC PowerShift 6-speed Automatic Transmission on Fiesta and Focus
Background
Last year Ford launched an all new transmission, PowerShift, an advanced six-speed automatic transmission based on manual transmission technology with class-leading fuel efficiency. This communication will help explain the benefits, technology, and common characteristics of this new transmission found on the Fiesta and Focus in order to improve the customer expectations and experiences.
Powershift is the Best of Both Worlds
Power Shift offers convenience, comfort and accessibility to a broader range of drivers like a conventional automatic, while delivering the mechanical efficiency – both fuel economy and responsive performance – of a manual transmission. PowerShift optimizes fuel efficiency with up to 40MPG and driving dynamic "Fun to Drive" performance.
Similar dual-clutch technologies are time tested and found in premium vehicles. Over the next five years, Ford will expand PowerShift technology to 1.5Million vehicles made.
Conventional Transmission Technology
• Traditional automatic transmissions have internal clutches – invisible to the driver – to enable gear changes. Working in combination with a torque converter spinning in a pool of automatic transmission fluid, a traditional automatic relies on hydraulic pressure generated by a power-sapping pump to deliver power to the wheels.
• A manual transmission has long been a fuel-efficient choice for drivers aiming to squeeze every last mile from each gallon of gasoline. This economical driving required that a motorist possess the manual dexterity to coordinate engine speed, gear selection and clutch engagement, all while steering, stopping and accelerating.
PowerShift is an advanced automatic transmission technology
PowerShift maintains a pair of internal clutches, but eliminates everything else. The PowerShift is really like two 3-speed manual transmissions put together, with the freedom of operating a clutch as the components are controlled electronically. Since most of the components are derived from a manual transmission, the PowerShift transmission will drive, sound, or feel like a manual transmission only the driver does not have to shift gears.
Customer Benefits:
• Customers will notice the traditional fun pep off the line and dynamic driving characteristics traditionally found only on a manual transmission vehicle.
• PowerShift combines the fuel efficiency of a manual transmission to achieve unsurpassed fuel-economy of up to 40MPG!
• PowerShift dry clutch saves weight, improves efficiency, increases smoothness and requires no regular maintenance (the entire unit is sealed with low-friction gear lubricant for the 150,000-mile projected life).
• Customers will receive the fuel efficiency of up to 40MPG along with familiar characteristics found on a traditional automatic-like controlled vehicle speed, as in low-speed parking maneuvers or backing out of a driveway, creeping forward in stop and go traffic or coasting down hills
• Drivers will experience no rollback when stopped on a hill – again replicating the predictable behavior of a traditional automatic. This allows the driver to smoothly and seamlessly launch the Fiesta on an incline regardless of degree.
PowerShift Training Resources:
• Quick Tip - e-mail blast sent to all Sales Consultants and Sales Managers https://web.esourcebook.dealerconnec...010/index.html
• PowerShift Fast Fact - Posted on eSourcebook: https://web.esourcebook.dealerconnec...powershift.pdf
• Look for more training to come shortly – Powershift training Video
Service Personnel Support
Since PowerShift Transmission is a new technology, customers might not be familiar with the normal driving characteristics of this transmission. The following communication will help assist with any customer concerns.
Common Characteristics of the new Dual-Clutch Power Shift 6 Speed Transmission
Common Sounds a driver may notice are:
• A customer may describe the sound as double clicking metal sounds that may be heard for each gear engagement or disengagement. This is sound of gears shifting and synchronizers (similar to a manual transmission). These noises can likely be heard while driving on very smooth surfaces during a 1-2 up shift or a 3-2-1 coast down. The sounds occur with every gear engagement, but generally cannot be heard over the background engine, road and wind noises at higher speeds. Most noticeable if the windows are down and the radio is off. These shifting sounds are part of normal operation.
• A slight gear whine while slowing or coasting, where the transmission is back-driven by the wheels may cause this noise, which is normal.
• Transmission cycling to the start position after the engine is turned off.
Some customers may experience a reverse trailer hitching feel (or a slight bumping feel) and/or a grinding noise at about 2 MPH. This reverse noise is caused by a bearing spinning in the transmission and does not affect the durability of the transmission. The trailer hitching feel may occur in lower forward gears as well – particularly if the customer is off and on the gas quickly. It may be more noticeably in a parking lot or when a customer is doing multiple on/off gas pedal maneuvers. This trailer hitching/engagement feel is a result of the dry clutches and is characteristic of manual transmissions. Conversely, automatic transmissions have a torque converter. The torque converter is a fluid coupling device which smoothes out these positive engagements feels.
Diagnosis tips to be used during service visit
When evaluating a customer experience regarding this transmission first compare to a like vehicle. If the sound is similar to a like transmission, make sure both the transmissions are at the same operating temperature. The sounds will change as the transmission oil gets hotter and thinner.
If the vehicle has a dead battery, or loses electrical power due to the removal of a power or ground, the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) will shift the transmission through all the gears to relearn the gear positions. This will make a series of mechanical noises, for 10-30 seconds. This is normal after a TCU power loss. The vehicle will not engage or move while this is happening.
As the vehicle is powered down, the TCU will cycle the clutches to the open position, so that it is ready for a safe re-start of the engine. This is part of normal operation.
Some PowerShift transmissions will exhibit gear whine in reverse. The level of whine has been reduced recently but still can be detected to some level. This is characteristic of many manual transmissions, and is not a defect or a situation in which a repair should be made.
"Green Clutches"
• Fiesta Vehicles build after Jan 12, 2011 may have clutches that are green which are not broken in.
• Green clutches can lead to a rattle noise that sounds like a catalytic convertor shield rattle. This noise is commonly heard after light pedal 1-2, 2-3 or 3-4 up-shifts. This rattle noise will improve greatly as the clutch completes the break-in.
• The Focus vehicles may experience a take-off shudder/launch judder (shaky vs. smooth), caused by this same green clutch. Customers may also notice that the first few cold shifts will have more feel. They will notice progressively better launch and smoother shifting within the first few hundred miles of mixed driving as the clutch breaks-in.
Note: The break-in process may take longer for highway driving, where the clutch is not shifting. The transmission controller will automatically learn and make adaptations during shifting events, so it is important to evaluate after allowing sufficient driving time for adaptations to occur.
This green clutch feel may reappear if the clutch touch points are reset and/or the clutch is removed and/or replaced. The condition may last longer for a clutch replacement than a reset. A reset may take up to 100 miles to get the new touch points learned to the point of not making any of the out of adjustment noise. A clutch replacement may take up to 1000 miles to reach break-in dependant on the customer style of driving.
Questions
Please contact your Sales or Service Zone Manager with questions.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #569
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Any ideas?
My '12 does the exact same thing.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #570
kam327
-----<M>-----

If fuel economy benefits was the primary reason Ford chose to use this transmission (according to the bulletin Black Bengal posted yesterday), how does the Corolla with a conventional 4-speed auto trounce the Focus in combined fuel economy????? Consumer Reports reported 32mpg in their overall testing vs the Focus' 28mpg. And the Elantra with its conventional 6-speed did slightly better with 29mpg? Popular Mech showed the Elantra trounced the Focus in a 70-mph highway test.

(Even though the Corolla is rated 2mpg less by EPA, the user average on fueleconomy.gov is greater than the Focus', reinforcing Consumer Reports' results.)

Where's the 10-15% efficiency increase with this new technology and all of its low-speed idiosyncracies, that is single-handedly driving many folks away from the Focus and Ford in general???

Yes, those competitors have slightly less horsepower and acceleration but so what? Does that really matter in a compact car that most folks will purchase for fuel economy?

Yes the Focus' strengths are steering and handling, which I greatly appreciate and am willing to live with the transmission for those reasons, but the general public doesn't seem to really care about handling. They want efficiency and reliability, two Focus weaknesses.

In my brief experience with the car there is only one benefit to this transmission - very smooth high-speed shifting and power delivery. I'm having a hard time justifying that benefit given the low-speed drawbacks we have to put up with.

I am glad I'm getting 32mpg on my commute, but would I be getting the same if they just carried over the '11 Focus' powertrain? And having a normal automatic transmission experience?

Just askin' the questions......

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->