DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 40 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #391
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just performed the drive cycle reset and its a noticeable difference! Of course I'll wait a week or so to see how it adapts but I'm very happy right now. At least at the onset there's no hunting or thinking about what gear it wants to be in when you give it some gas (rolling about 40 mph).

As I purchased mine on July 29, 2011 (May 2011 build) I knew something was wrong from the start. When I test drove this car I also tested the same car but blue (the metalic blue color). At that time I commented to the salesman what was different between the two as I could definitely feel the change in performance, the blue one seemed to have a lot more pep. As mine had 50+ miles on it when I test drove it, I can only assume one of two things (or both); that the drive cycle was never performed correctly at the start or it was the test driver of choice at the dealership.

I'm now going to wait to see how this does with this change to see if I need the update at all.

Thanks for the post Noah, I'll report on this again later this weekend.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #392
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
^^^ Hey Joe ... Glad you see some improvement but I definitely suggest getting your TSB update. It will be like a whole new car! I also waited to see if I really wanted to do the update and wanted to read on feedback from people who had there's updated.

My DCT was working fine before the update except shift points were all wrong and never could get higher RPM's without really putting on the gas. Now it drives like it should or how I would drive if it was a manual.

Since they just updated to a newer TSB 11-10-02A then this would be a great time to have yours done. Then perform the drive cycle and really see some great improvements in your driving experience!

Noah
Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #393
eat2sleep
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93795
What I Drive: 2012 Ink Blue Focus Hatch Sport

FF Reputation: 1 eat2sleep Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
I suspect your Focus may be closer to the European than the North American version. If that's the case, I think your DCT may also be different than ours, having a wet as opposed to dry clutch and hydraulic vs. electric-powered gear changes. If that's true, the TSB we go on and on about here would have no relevance to you.

On the plus side, the Europe DCT seems to be the better component, with greater torque capacity (for diesels I guess) and fewer complaints.

If you're really curious, take a look at the Getrag website. They have photos of their transmissions - the North American Focus version is the fwd/transverse mounted one with the dry clutches and lowest torque capacity. It has some distinctive features you can see looking in the engine compartment so it should be possible to determine if this is the model you have.
Ok...I'll check that..Thanks man, cheers~
Old 01-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #394
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
^^^ Hey Joe ... Glad you see some improvement but I definitely suggest getting your TSB update. It will be like a whole new car! I also waited to see if I really wanted to do the update and wanted to read on feedback from people who had there's updated.

My DCT was working fine before the update except shift points were all wrong and never could get higher RPM's without really putting on the gas. Now it drives like it should or how I would drive if it was a manual.

Since they just updated to a newer TSB 11-10-02A then this would be a great time to have yours done. Then perform the drive cycle and really see some great improvements in your driving experience!

Noah
Noah, are you saying that I should also perform the drive cycle after my dealer does the update? I know they have to do te drive cycle as per the TSB but what you're saying makes sense too.

I just got back in after a 50 mile run and it really runs great. No lag after upshift, doesn't hunt when I accelerate (kick down).

What's the change with this latest one (02A)?

Joe
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #395
bobakman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89045
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bobakman Good Standing Member
My 2012 Focus had a build date of 07/2011 so I went to the dealer and asked that the TSB update be applied. Two hours later I had my car back and the Invoice says that the PCM/TCM were reprogrammed and Per TSB though the TSB number was not specifically referenced on the invoice.
Other than taking the dealers word how does one independently verify that the update was actually applied? Currently I don't really notice any differences while driving.
I did read the module CVN cal data using an Actron CP9185 (See actual data below) but the codes are still the same and may not have anything to do with changes made VIA the update.

CAL ID # 1 MOD $00
HFCH3G4.H32
CAL ID # 2 MOD $01
TQZK7T6.H32
CVN # 1 MOD $00
58 CE EC 4C
CVN # 2 MOD $01
EA AB F6 D9

Just wondering?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #396
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobakman View Post
My 2012 Focus had a build date of 07/2011 so I went to the dealer and asked that the TSB update be applied. Two hours later I had my car back and the Invoice says that the PCM/TCM were reprogrammed and Per TSB though the TSB number was not specifically referenced on the invoice.
Other than taking the dealers word how does one independently verify that the update was actually applied? Currently I don't really notice any differences while driving.
I did read the module CVN cal data using an Actron CP9185 (See actual data below) but the codes are still the same and may not have anything to do with changes made VIA the update.

CAL ID # 1 MOD $00
HFCH3G4.H32
CAL ID # 2 MOD $01
TQZK7T6.H32
CVN # 1 MOD $00
58 CE EC 4C
CVN # 2 MOD $01
EA AB F6 D9

Just wondering?
Dunno. Ask the dealer? Was your mileage in and out different?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #397
bobakman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89045
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bobakman Good Standing Member
I did not note the mileage. I may indeed go back to the dealer If I do not see any improved drive-ability changes after a few weeks. The problem with my Focus was the intermittent jerky/hard shifts and occasional sluggish acceleration since these were intermittent it may take a bit more time to verify that the TSB reprogramming worked.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #398
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I did not note the mileage. I may indeed go back to the dealer If I do not see any improved drive-ability changes after a few weeks. The problem with my Focus was the intermittent jerky/hard shifts and occasional sluggish acceleration since these were intermittent it may take a bit more time to verify that the TSB reprogramming worked.
My receipt noted the specific TSB number plus mileage in and out.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #399
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Have you read this thread?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #400
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
Noah, are you saying that I should also perform the drive cycle after my dealer does the update? I know they have to do te drive cycle as per the TSB but what you're saying makes sense too.

I just got back in after a 50 mile run and it really runs great. No lag after upshift, doesn't hunt when I accelerate (kick down).

What's the change with this latest one (02A)?

Joe
Hey again Joe,

Good to hear u got your update and you noticed the improvements. Shouldn't be necassary to perform the drive cycle as long as your sure they did it. Doesn't hurt tho to perform the drive cycle more than once just in case if your not sure they did it or did all the steps correctly. More than likely they did a good job like most dealers do.

Good question about what the difference is with the latest (-02a) update. That was my next question too. I got my update on Dec10 so I think I just missed the latest version. If amyone can get ahold of the latest TSB 11-10-02A then please let us know and post it here. Wonder if this latest version would help everyone with a pre Dec build date and would it be noticable for those who have TSB 11-10-02 already installed. Would be nice to know the improvements so we can decide if it will be good update to get.

Thanks and happy driving!
Noah

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->