DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 32 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #311
TopKat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92298
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TopKat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So Fil12, just so I'm clear on what you did, you did NOT disconnect the battery before doing the drive cycle set up and it has been 3 weeks since the TSB? That's the best scenario yet. Please continue to keep us up to date with your findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #312
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
I guess im lucky.. i had the update done (build date 10 June) and it completely eliminated the shudder.... Even waiting at a light and letting the car creep i don't have any shudder.
Lucky? perhaps... seems others still have problems w/ this even after the update.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #313
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
I don't have the shudder problem anymore(never really did) but I did perform the update and I do notice that sometimes if I accelarate quickly the RPMs seem to "flare up" more than normal.

I think it's just my imagination but yeah I tend to notice it now more than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Get the update. Drive it for over a 1000mi. Then make your final judgement.

BTW, it is SUPPOSED to shift very rapidly if you're not dumping the pedal. That is how it saves gas. Mine does that too. If I push it a little, it will maintain the gear to well over 3000RPM before upshifting through all the gears. You need to maintain that acceleration demand though, if I back off, it will upshift sooner. You just need to learn how it functions and you will realize it's actually a pretty amazing tranny.

Eh, should have read the posts before mine sooner... thanks Smizak makes sense now.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #314
sprcoop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91034
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Met, 201A, Sport, 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 sprcoop Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil12SportSE View Post
1st of all, thanks Noahsfocus for posting the drive cycle.

I'm new to this forum and been lurking around to see what issues existed with the 2012 Focus. Had I have known what I know now, I would have chosen a build date later than Aug. 12. BTW, my build date is Aug. 8. Lucky me, the steering TSB does not apply to my car but it feels like it needs it. All they did was a wheel alignment but it is not 100%.

To make a long story short, I had the DCT TSB done to the car 3 weeks ago but it still felt weird or erratic. I still had the shudder from time to time at stop and go traffic. It still shifted below 2500 RPM if I don't really press on the gas. This happens when it feels like it. I am not a happy camper.

This morning I read about this drive cycle that needed to be done after the software update. Well I had just came back from doing this and a half an hour of testing. So far I don't feel the shudder from a stop and shifting is now from 2500 rpm and up. In the highway I didn't really see much of a difference so I can't really make any comments about this.
Tomorrow will be the real test since there is always traffic jams on our highways here in Montreal.

Fil
My wife's car was built on 8/8 also. The TSB made her DCT perfect but it was pretty nice to start with. I think it also had the steering issue for the first 200 miles but mild enough that we just thought it was tight and we weren't use to it. By the time we did a 5 hour trip (about 1000 miles on the car at the time) the steering was sublime. I hope yours straightens out (pun intended) as well.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #315
Fil12SportSE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92071
What I Drive: 2012 Ebony SE sport

FF Reputation: 1 Fil12SportSE Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKat View Post
So Fil12, just so I'm clear on what you did, you did NOT disconnect the battery before doing the drive cycle set up and it has been 3 weeks since the TSB? That's the best scenario yet. Please continue to keep us up to date with your findings.
Yup, I didn't have to disconnect the battery at all.

My observations today.

Shifter on D
stop and go traffic- no shudder and feels like a normal automatic. I used to have a shudder when my feet was not pressed firmly on the brakes. This really sucks since i thought the engine was going to stall.

1- normal acceleration from a stop- 1 to 2nd RPM can be from 2000 to 2500 rpm
2- medium acceleration from a stop- 1 to 2nd RPM can easy go from 3000 to 4000 rpm
3- almost WOT from a stop- RPM 1 to 2nd can be from 4000 and up

Shifter on S
On manual mode, no shudder from a stop is the only thing that I noticed so far. I will have to play with it on this mode a few more times. IMO, a seperate shiftgate like the 2010 Fusion V6 would have been better.
On auto mode- While cruising in slow traffic for the 1st time, it went to neutral when it should have gone from 3rd to 2nd. I had to push the shifter back to D to get it moving again but this just happened once so far. It's very disappointing since everything was going well so far. I will keep you up to date if it ever happens again.

I also emailed the drive cycle clipping to my dealer's service manager to see if they are even aware that they have to do this procedure.

Fil
2012 Focus- Ebony Sport SE HB with winter package Aug. 8, 2011 Build date
2010 Fusion- Tuxedo Black Sport AWD (sold Feb. 2012)
2013 Mustang GT/CS Black delivery on Apr. 18
Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #316
DanteCaspian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57473
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DanteCaspian Good Standing Member
This thread could use the help of a Ford CSR who can get in to design and engineering discussions. Or at least to say, "...we at Ford would like to apologize. Here are the steps on how you can be sure to maintain your 2012 Ford Focus..." and then proceed to outline a detailed, useful letter that is also being sent to every dealer and 2012 Ford Focus owner.
Would not that be ground breaking?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #317
Macsleuth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90432
What I Drive: 2012 Stirling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Macsleuth Good Standing Member
Just had my 1st service and they applied the update, it seemed to shift differently, I will know more tomorrow when i take it for a longer ride. My dealership is awesome! Barrie Ford.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #318
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteCaspian View Post
This thread could use the help of a Ford CSR who can get in to design and engineering discussions. Or at least to say, "...we at Ford would like to apologize. Here are the steps on how you can be sure to maintain your 2012 Ford Focus..." and then proceed to outline a detailed, useful letter that is also being sent to every dealer and 2012 Ford Focus owner.
Would not that be ground breaking?
The procedure mentioned is only to "retrain" the transmission after the software upgrade erases it's shift strategy. It is not used for maintenance. And it should be done by the technicians and the customers should not have to worry about the procedure.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #319
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
The procedure mentioned is only to "retrain" the transmission after the software upgrade erases it's shift strategy. It is not used for maintenance. And it should be done by the technicians and the customers should not have to worry about the procedure.
I suspect you are correct - but is this your supposition or a conclusion based on facts?

On the other hand - why would this be necessary after a reflash but not when a new car is delivered? Surely the reflash could include a base shift strategy like the car has when it leaves the factory. Why would Ford pay for an additional hour or so of warranty labor if it could be avoided by loading the "factory" programming?

Sure would be nice if Natasha or someone from Ford could confirm.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #320
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
I suspect you are correct - but is this your supposition or a conclusion based on facts?

On the other hand - why would this be necessary after a reflash but not when a new car is delivered? Surely the reflash could include a base shift strategy like the car has when it leaves the factory. Why would Ford pay for an additional hour or so of warranty labor if it could be avoided by loading the "factory" programming?

Sure would be nice if Natasha or someone from Ford could confirm.
There's a technical discussion forum for a reason... post there if you have any concerns.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=47

These forums are only truly for "General Discussion" and which is probably why majority of technical concerns posted here are "ignored" by Ford CSR.

Bookmarks & Social Networks