DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 31 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #301
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have another question. If I do the steps, on the first step, do I do it 10 times, or do I do it initally and then 10 more times?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #302
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 493, Level 9
Points: 493, Level: 9 Points: 493, Level: 9 Points: 493, Level: 9
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
While we will never be sure, I wonder if the 10 Reverse/Drive shifts at the beginning of this process somehow opens the system to accept new instructions? It is a sequence that wouldn't be duplicated in normal driving and it's hard to figure what value it would have in programming shift behavior.

Maybe instead of reconnecting the battery, following this protocol would be helpful even for cars that have been driven considerable distances since new or reflash. One could also position the car near a highway to perform the whole process seamlessly.

Noahsfocus, thanks again for posting.
Your right we will never know for sure because they usually don't give up this kind of information...

My assumption is that this is the final step of the adaptive learning reset procedure as described in the TSB (step2):

1.Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
2.Perform Transmission Adaptive Learning. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 307-01 General Procedures.

So the Drive Cycle is done right after they do the PCM (power train control module) update. Performing the Transmission Adaptive Learning (step2) is necessary because the update wipes out or "resets" the memory in the computer (TCM, transmission control module). Therefore I believe this has to be the first step of the transmission learning process and needs to be performed right after the reset so the shift points are correctly learned and then the rest of the adaptive learning process can occur correctly during normal driving in the next few days.

Probably a reset is necessary for this Drive Cycle to be effective.

Not to say it couldn't hurt to do it anytime later but I believe it was meant to be done immediately after the update (or re-flash/reset). Probably the procedure itself doesn't "open up the system" or reset the adaptive learning.

Just to note if your actually following the instructions to do this that each time it says to "repeat" (10 times for example) that you would actually be doing it 11 times because the first time was already done on the previous step:

steps 1-5 will be done 11 times

steps 7-8 will be done 6 times

step 11 will be done 3 times

I will try to find the post someone made about "resetting the adaptive learning process manually by removing the battery for 10min" and make a direct quote from the original poster so more research can be done to see if this is true or not. I believe he said he used to do this to a mustang on a regular basis to help with sporty shifting or something. Anyway I will update here later if I do find it but if anyone knows already or wants to do more research or actually try the battery procedure then let us know what you find out.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #303
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 493, Level 9
Points: 493, Level: 9 Points: 493, Level: 9 Points: 493, Level: 9
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
After I do step 5, do I have to place the vehicle back in park, or can I go back to drive for 15 seconds?
No ...

at no time in this procedure do you go back to "park" ... probably wouldn't hurt anything if you had too but doesn't say shift back to park.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #304
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Thank you Noahsfocus for explaining it to us!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #305
Red 2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85244
What I Drive: 2012 candy red SEL; 2005 Freestyle

FF Reputation: 1 Red 2012 Good Standing Member
I really, really can't see how Ford ... can do something so dumb as what is being explained here to teach a transmission how to shift. What the hell is the computer supposed to be doing ... tuning everyone's car to a one driver customized product? Whatever happened to having a car do the same thing, the same way?

And we have to do this teaching cycle after we change the battery every 3 years ... or every time the battery gets disconnected for 15 min ... for some other reason ...

My car was built in April, and yes the trans has a few quirks, but now I am getting scared to update this ....
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #306
Fil12SportSE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92071
What I Drive: 2012 Ebony SE sport

FF Reputation: 1 Fil12SportSE Good Standing Member
1st of all, thanks Noahsfocus for posting the drive cycle.

I'm new to this forum and been lurking around to see what issues existed with the 2012 Focus. Had I have known what I know now, I would have chosen a build date later than Aug. 12. BTW, my build date is Aug. 8. Lucky me, the steering TSB does not apply to my car but it feels like it needs it. All they did was a wheel alignment but it is not 100%.

To make a long story short, I had the DCT TSB done to the car 3 weeks ago but it still felt weird or erratic. I still had the shudder from time to time at stop and go traffic. It still shifted below 2500 RPM if I don't really press on the gas. This happens when it feels like it. I am not a happy camper.

This morning I read about this drive cycle that needed to be done after the software update. Well I had just came back from doing this and a half an hour of testing. So far I don't feel the shudder from a stop and shifting is now from 2500 rpm and up. In the highway I didn't really see much of a difference so I can't really make any comments about this.
Tomorrow will be the real test since there is always traffic jams on our highways here in Montreal.

Fil
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #307
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2012 View Post
I really, really can't see how Ford ... can do something so dumb as what is being explained here to teach a transmission how to shift. What the hell is the computer supposed to be doing ... tuning everyone's car to a one driver customized product? Whatever happened to having a car do the same thing, the same way?

And we have to do this teaching cycle after we change the battery every 3 years ... or every time the battery gets disconnected for 15 min ... for some other reason ...

My car was built in April, and yes the trans has a few quirks, but now I am getting scared to update this ....
It's not "dumb" it is basically going through all the gears a bit at a time so the computer can learn where to shift.

I have not heard or read anywhere that we'd have to do a drive cycle if the battery is removed. The computer has its own backup battery (usually li-ion) to maintain memory so it's not going to be forget everything by removing the battery.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #308
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
The one thing I don't understand about mine is that at slow accelerations, by the time I hit 35 mph or 40 mph, in many cases, but not all, the car is already in 5th or 6th gear already. And I can sometimes feel it "rapidly" upshifting before I even hit 30 mph.

My old Focus (which obviously didn't have a DC system, but was the 4-speed Auto PowerShift tranny) was a bit better at shifting. It didn't get nearly as good as gas mileage as the 2012, but at least it was able to shift at semi appropriate times.

But then again, I haven't had the update done on my 2012 yet, so maybe this is one thing they will address. But overall, other than that, and the occassional lurch forward when I take my foot off the brake, the car's gotten much better (it use to be very hesitant for the first 2,000 miles or so--and sometimes I thought it was going to stall when accelerating from a dead stop).
Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #309
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 FFE Frosted Glass

Points 890, Level 15
Points: 890, Level: 15 Points: 890, Level: 15 Points: 890, Level: 15
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnCA View Post
It's not "dumb" it is basically going through all the gears a bit at a time so the computer can learn where to shift.
As has been made clear this is a standard trans w/ computer controlled shifts.

It needs to learn the transmission and shift protocols. Imagine if you were shifting it, you would need to learn the trans. too. So we intuitively learn how and when to shift it. If you get in a different car and tried to shift the same way it would not function right until you adapted to it's peculiarities. If the computer came preprogramed for all trans, very few would work properly, so an adaptive software program is needed.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #310
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
The one thing I don't understand about mine is that at slow accelerations, by the time I hit 35 mph or 40 mph, in many cases, but not all, the car is already in 5th or 6th gear already. And I can sometimes feel it "rapidly" upshifting before I even hit 30 mph.

My old Focus (which obviously didn't have a DC system, but was the 4-speed Auto PowerShift tranny) was a bit better at shifting. It didn't get nearly as good as gas mileage as the 2012, but at least it was able to shift at semi appropriate times.

But then again, I haven't had the update done on my 2012 yet, so maybe this is one thing they will address. But overall, other than that, and the occassional lurch forward when I take my foot off the brake, the car's gotten much better (it use to be very hesitant for the first 2,000 miles or so--and sometimes I thought it was going to stall when accelerating from a dead stop).
Get the update. Drive it for over a 1000mi. Then make your final judgement.

BTW, it is SUPPOSED to shift very rapidly if you're not dumping the pedal. That is how it saves gas. Mine does that too. If I push it a little, it will maintain the gear to well over 3000RPM before upshifting through all the gears. You need to maintain that acceleration demand though, if I back off, it will upshift sooner. You just need to learn how it functions and you will realize it's actually a pretty amazing tranny.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.