DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 27 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #261
cbsel
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92121
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 2 cbsel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
flingwing1969,

While the issues I've been having have gotten better they aren't gone. So I'm willing to give most of those a chance.

However, the length of time it takes for this car to respond from an emergency braking procedure to immediate acceleration is not something I've experienced before. The automatic transmissions I've driven in the past have always responded a lot quicker than this car does.

We should not let Ford tell us that a several second response time is normal. Should there be a short delay, of course. In fact I've had 1 dealership tell me it wasn't but there was nothing they could do about it and another tell me it was. So who am I to believe?

Other than the transmission response I do like this car. I think if Ford gets this transmission worked out that it would be a great little car to drive. It's just that response time of the transmission worries me a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #262
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
cbsel, how do you rode your car before the 1600 miles mark ? Because there is a very important thing to know : the way you drove your tranny through all the rpms in that period, it is the way it will respond to whatever action you'll take in the future. You put your TSB on your tranny = reset it, so drive it hard and play with it (all the spectrum of rpms before red-line) for at least 1000 miles. Forget about great mpg, if not you'll be stuck on the same situation as today. At least this is how I drove mine and I am glad with DCT now.

P.S. When I floored an automatic after a quick break, I always had a 2 seconds of a "what a f...k moment" when nothing happen, no throttle, nothing. Never had this moment with my DCT though. It may be because instead of trying to drive it like an automatic, I learnt to drive my DCT ? Maybe yes, maybe no. I hope you'll learn your car and enjoy it as I do !
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #263
jjeremyy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87605
What I Drive: 2014 ST

FF Reputation: 1 jjeremyy Good Standing Member
I was dropping my car off for an oil change today and also had them do the TSB on the transmission. I had to give the service adviser the the TSB number, but didn't have any problems getting them to perform the work. Wow, big difference. Being that I live in San Francisco and we have borderline crazy hills, my transmission has been outright confused at times and even stalled once starting out on a really steep grade. I only drove it home from the dealership which is about 7 miles, but the difference is pretty big. Shift points seem to be at a much higher RPM than before and the car doesn't jerk or shudder at all anymore.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #264
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
cbsel, how do you rode your car before the 1600 miles mark ? Because there is a very important thing to know : the way you drove your tranny through all the rpms in that period, it is the way it will respond to whatever action you'll take in the future. You put your TSB on your tranny = reset it, so drive it hard and play with it (all the spectrum of rpms before red-line) for at least 1000 miles. Forget about great mpg, if not you'll be stuck on the same situation as today. At least this is how I drove mine and I am glad with DCT now.

P.S. When I floored an automatic after a quick break, I always had a 2 seconds of a "what a f...k moment" when nothing happen, no throttle, nothing. Never had this moment with my DCT though. It may be because instead of trying to drive it like an automatic, I learnt to drive my DCT ? Maybe yes, maybe no. I hope you'll learn your car and enjoy it as I do !
I've owned mine for 3 days now. At times I drive it like I stole it. Other times I drive it sedately. So far the transmission is performing better than I had expected. Nice firm shifts!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #265
Craeshen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90525
What I Drive: 2012 candy blue Focus titanium

Points 124, Level 2
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Craeshen Good Standing Member
Well my car is going in for the TSB tomorrow and I will say the service advisor was rather reluctant to even schedule the appointment.

Of the conditions mentioned in the TSB the only one I can say I've had happen is the refusal too upshift. Tho the refusal too upshift happened when trying to accelerate too merge with traffic.

They are all also saying if they can't find anything wrong I will have to pay to have the TSB applied. Talk about irritating makes me wonder whether that particular SA was pms'ing.

It's kind of funny that they also couldn't find the TSB till I brought the specific TSB number back too them. It's a TSB too improve the cars drivability and they want me to pay for it, or at least that's the general feeling I was getting from this particular SA.

The whole if they can't find anything wrong with it........ do they drive this car every day. Yes some of the issue's in the TSB have come up but I'm auto savvy enough to salvage the situation. I dunno but just the way it was approached made me want to start yelling and saying certain choice words to the SA. I was pretty , and when I do get really mad I tend too turn into a raging . Tho, I realize tearing a strip off the SA might not have been good mostly due to the vibe I was getting off her of passive dismissal.

The real kicker is the next nearest dealer is 150km away so I'd have to go a hell of a long way for service. Honestly if I have a choice I'll just use one of the other 2 SA's in the future.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #266
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Question for those that already got the tsb applied, what does your invoice show?

Had mine done supposedly - this is what it says:
11e03 reprogram the PCM with revised two step procedure and perform adaptive learning.

Thanks

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #267
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 479, Level 9
Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
Question for those that already got the tsb applied, what does your invoice show?

Had mine done supposedly - this is what it says:
11e03 reprogram the PCM with revised two step procedure and perform adaptive learning.

Thanks

Posted via FF Mobile
That's the emission recall TSB ... not sure if this TSB does the same improvements that 11-10-02 covers for the drive-ability issues. This is a good post because a lot of people don't read the TSB or the reciept from the service dept and may assume the emission TSB 11E03 is the same as the 11-10-02.

Even though both TSB's are PCM (powertrain control module) updates I'm pretty sure they are for different issues. One question for Ford would be does 11E03 include latest update for TCM (transmission control module) since 11-10-02 TSB was designed mostly as a TCM update.

I am going in for my 11-10-02 update (car was built in May) this weekend; and to find out about the 11E03 emission recall since CA requires that by law, so I will report back what I find out about the difference between these two PCM update TSB's.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #268
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Ever since the update my car's transmission has been absolutely horrid. Under easy acceleration it revs the engine over 4,000 rpms before shifting, the transmission clunks and grinds fairly frequently under normal driving condition, has pretty rough kick downs when I go to over take someone and just feels poorly programmed. I am not exactly happy, the morose gearbox before at least worked kinda.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #269
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsel View Post
flingwing1969,

However, the length of time it takes for this car to respond from an emergency braking procedure to immediate acceleration is not something I've experienced before. The automatic transmissions I've driven in the past have always responded a lot quicker than this car does.
I'm not sure under what circumstances I would want to suddenly accelerate after performing emergency braking. After coming to an urgent stop, I want a few seconds to look around me and regain command of the situation before surging off again.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #270
Craeshen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90525
What I Drive: 2012 candy blue Focus titanium

Points 124, Level 2
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Craeshen Good Standing Member
The updated software has been really fantastic so far even tho the dealership was not happy about having to do that and me having to mention I have a warranty for exactly that reason. At least the tech was on my side there.

Anyway after I got it back I simulated a condition that had left the transmission confused before and had it refuse too upshift, hit the brakes hard as if in an emergency breaking situation then needing to get back on the gas suddenly.

Well when I hit the brakes I was at forty dropped to 20 hit the gas the cars program quickly figured out my intent (IE emergency avoidance.) and dumped the clutch all I can say whoa looked down and I was @ 100 km/h suffice it too say I backed off the throttle quickly but it now reacts more intuitively.

Also when you get the update the transmission goes through another period of adaptive learning.

One nice thing I have noticed now is the shift's between gears are always @ 2500 rpm now when going easy on the gas were as before they varied from 1800 too 2200 rpm which is too early.

(Yes this was on a hi way wasn't other traffic but yes I have had too do that before trust me I have days where I can't figure out how the some people got there license seeing as they lack the sense part oft it.)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.