DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 257 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #2561
chumlee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119399
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Sel

FF Reputation: 1 chumlee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Clutch was replaced and car behaves much better now. Have fingers crossed for long term. Want to stress what FarmerFlyGirl said about making sure that trans is fully warmed up before attempting to demonstrate problem to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #2562
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonreyna View Post
Car was at 2 different dealers last month and they all say the same ... "its the characteristics of this vehicle". What you think?
Hi jonreyna,

If you decide to head into the dealer once more let me know and I'll look into available options.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #2563
mysticspook
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 130713
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 mysticspook Good Standing Member
Tranny updates

Im getting ready to take my focus into the dealership in hopes that they can fix my issues, I was wondering though, has anyone had a intermittent issue with no ignition, like you turn the key on everything turns on fine, and when you go to crank everything shuts off until you stop cranking? this has now happened 2 times in a day, and I just messed with putting it into neutral and tried again. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Im hoping this nice new car doesn't turn into a lemon.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #2564
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticspook View Post
Im getting ready to take my focus into the dealership in hopes that they can fix my issues, I was wondering though, has anyone had a intermittent issue with no ignition, like you turn the key on everything turns on fine, and when you go to crank everything shuts off until you stop cranking? this has now happened 2 times in a day, and I just messed with putting it into neutral and tried again. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Im hoping this nice new car doesn't turn into a lemon.
Hey mysticspook,

Welcome to the forum. I'm Todd, your official Ford rep. When's your appointment? I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager, who is in the best place to assist; please send me a private message with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #2565
focuscmh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 133825
What I Drive: Focus hatch

FF Reputation: 2 focuscmh Good Standing Member
Had latest TSB, shift points way off

I took my 2012 SEL 6-spd. auto in because of occasional shudder when accelerating.

They road tested it, and, of course, couldn't replicate the issue.

Next, they reprogrammed the PCM and TCM and performed the clutch adaptive relearn. Road tested again and it shuddered at low RPM.

Checked for leaks and found one in the bell housing, so they took it in, took clutch apart, cleaned the clutch assembly and fixed the seal. Re-did clutch relearn, road tested again, said it was fine.

Picked up car and now it's a different car, and not in a good way. The shift points are way different (shifts too soon from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd), won't downshift when using the manual button from 4th to 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd unless going real slow, and oddly there is increased engine noise, as if a performance filter or exhaust was installed. The front end feels shaky when accelerating from a stop, as if the traction control was confused or wheels are grabbing, then slipping.

In any case, this sucks. I bought the car because it was pretty quick. I drive in sport mode and often use the manual switch button to keep the revs higher, but now it just upshifts (or won't let me downshift) and bogs down like a CVT transmission.

Will the clutch computer adapt or change to my driving style or is this what I can expect long-term?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #2566
rsilvers
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101466
What I Drive: White 2012 SE Sport, Auto, 203A.

FF Reputation: 1 rsilvers Good Standing Member
I had reported earlier than my 2013 was fine and my 2012 was not perfect. My father was the main driver and was unhappy with it. I took it in for the programming update. They could not find any leaks. I drove it home, and it seemed as good as my 2013. I was concerned that my father would not agree. He took it home, and called me and said that it is fixed now. This was more than a week ago, and he has not complained once - so as long as it lasts, he seems satisfied.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #2567
rsilvers
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by focuscmh View Post
I drive in sport mode and often use the manual switch button to keep the revs higher, but now it just upshifts (or won't let me downshift) and bogs down like a CVT transmission.

Will the clutch computer adapt or change to my driving style or is this what I can expect long-term?
When I manually shift it, it never overrides my decision, even if I am aggressive and shifting late for the quickest acceleration.

You are either doing something wrong, or there is a problem. No, it won't adapt in manual mode. If the revs get so high (close to redline) to where the car feels that you are making a poor decision by staying there (and it would be correct), it will upshift.

The only time it won't let you downshift is if it calculates that if it did, then it would be close to redline. You should not be asking it to downshift at this time without taking your foot off the accelerator and applying brake to lower the speed of the car, and it (correctly) knows this, and is ignoring you for good reason.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #2568
focuscmh
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 133825
What I Drive: Focus hatch

FF Reputation: 2 focuscmh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
When I manually shift it, it never overrides my decision, even if I am aggressive and shifting late for the quickest acceleration.

You are either doing something wrong, or there is a problem. No, it won't adapt in manual mode. If the revs get so high (close to redline) to where the car feels that you are making a poor decision by staying there (and it would be correct), it will upshift.

The only time it won't let you downshift is if it calculates that if it did, then it would be close to redline. You should not be asking it to downshift at this time without taking your foot off the accelerator and applying brake to lower the speed of the car, and it (correctly) knows this, and is ignoring you for good reason.
Thanks rsilver but I'm confused. You write that it never overrides your manual shift, even when you are aggressive but you go on to say that it will auto shift when close to redline. These seem like the same situations.

In any case, my problems are nowhere near redline.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #2569
rsilvers
Focus Enthusiast

Your could be defective then, assuming you in the right mode. I would have to drive it to know.

I just tested mine. When I was at 5000 rpm, it would not let me downshift, as expected, as that would have made it redline.

When I was in first gear and purposely did not manually upshift, it over-rode me and shifted at the redline.

And also, it won't let you upshift if that would cause the engine to be below around 1000 rpm and cause a stall.

I am used to driving a manual transmission, including on a racetrack, and I am satisfied that my manual mode gives me a full range of rpm.

If that is not what is happening, then someone should check it.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #2570
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post

^ this I agree with.
the Injected tune helped me with this because I think the shift points are higher and also in manual mode it won't upshift automatically anymore.
I have on occasion slipped with the buttons before and double clicked when I meant to click once... that could be whats happening to you sometimes also.
solution = moar power! lol
that and learning to drive this transmission. I've had this car 13 months and 20k miles only now feel like I'm really getting the hang of this transmission. Now when i'm in manual mode, I also let off the gas a bit before shifting just like in a manual - I can get it to shift a bit faster this way but its a bit tricky because the shift time feels different in each gear . also by letting off of the gas before you shift, it lowers the rpm/speed so the car can shift properly, like he said. again I have the Injected tune and they've done a great job . my car drives and performs 200% better than from factory

Bookmarks & Social Networks