DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 252 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #2511
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 166, Level 3
Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3 Points: 166, Level: 3
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Picked up my car from the dealer today. They replaced the clutch and all of the motor mounts. One of them for the second time.
Went and got some lunch, back to work and then home. The odometer was 13085 when I picked it up. Now I am all the way up to 13101 and it is acting like a normal car.
Clutch is not jerking on take off (yet) and no more magic fingers bed vibration from the engine.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #2512
Etch.
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116485
What I Drive: Not a Focus anymore. Good riddance!

Points 921, Level 16
Points: 921, Level: 16 Points: 921, Level: 16 Points: 921, Level: 16
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 0 Etch. Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Picked up my car from the dealer today. They replaced the clutch and all of the motor mounts. One of them for the second time.
Went and got some lunch, back to work and then home. The odometer was 13085 when I picked it up. Now I am all the way up to 13101 and it is acting like a normal car.
Clutch is not jerking on take off (yet) and no more magic fingers bed vibration from the engine.
You gotta wait a couple hundred miles. That's usually when the same ole behavior comes back.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #2513
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 712, Level 14
Points: 712, Level: 14 Points: 712, Level: 14 Points: 712, Level: 14
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
The Jetta is vastly improved for '14. 1.8L Turbo and multilink rear suspension. Should be a contender again. Waiting for the comparo test with the '14 Mazda3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch. View Post
... Prob will just get another smaller car, ideally the VW Golf 7 when they come out, if not, prob a mazda 3....
No matter how "improved" any of those models are compared to their predecessors, would you really want to be among the early owners who get to discover their shortcomings? I'd give any one of them at least two years to mature before I'd buy one. The last model year of a generation seems to be the best bet for getting a solid car, not the first. There seems to be a lot more problems with the Focus DCTs in 2012s than 2013s. (Too soon to tell about 2014s.)
Old 11-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #2514
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Points 166, Level 3
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I expect it's just a matter of miles.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #2515
Armenian22
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117282
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

Points 1,851, Level 25
Points: 1,851, Level: 25 Points: 1,851, Level: 25 Points: 1,851, Level: 25
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Armenian22 Good Standing Member
Anyone have any success with the most recent tsb? My focus exhibits a slight shudder only when engaging 1st gear from a stand still... and it doesnt even happen everytime. Only about 30% of the time. Wondering if the newest tsb update cured anyones issues? Couldnt find much via search function! Worth updating or something like this? (I have a branded title so no warranty)

Sent from my SM-N900T using FF Mobile
Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #2516
RFrench6646
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101073
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Sonic Blue, Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 RFrench6646 Good Standing Member
I haven't posted in a while here, but have checked in from time to time, to see what news is available. My '12 SEL now has 37k miles on it, and for the first time since I got it, I am having some of the DCT issues. Mine usually stays on the interstate, at 70mph. So I rarely hit stop & go traffic. But recently I went off the beaten path, and drove through some city areas, and after she got good and warmed up, I felt it at a stop light. It shuddered on takeoff between 1st & 2nd. So at the next light I turned the radio off, and lowered the window, took off normally, and it shuddered again between 1st & 2nd. But I didn't hear any rattling. At the next light, I put the tranny in manual shift, and when I took off it shifted just fine. No shudder, or lurch. I repeated this at every stop and start and came up with this conclusion:

1) I only am getting a shudder between 1st & 2nd in auto, and only after the car has been through a few starts & stops. Never when it's first started up and relatively cold.

2) In manual mode no trouble at all.

3)I don't hear any rattle, nor is it lurching, or surging. It only seems as though it is trying to go into 2nd, but gets "confused?" and shudders.

What I've seen in most of the posts in here, this problem I am getting is most likely the seal leak issue, and there is probably some fluid getting on the clutch. Hopefully some of y'all can point me in the right direction. I really love this car, and I thankfully bought the extended warranty.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #2517
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrench6646 View Post
I haven't posted in a while here, but have checked in from time to time, to see what news is available. My '12 SEL now has 37k miles on it, and for the first time since I got it, I am having some of the DCT issues. Mine usually stays on the interstate, at 70mph. So I rarely hit stop & go traffic. But recently I went off the beaten path, and drove through some city areas, and after she got good and warmed up, I felt it at a stop light. It shuddered on takeoff between 1st & 2nd. So at the next light I turned the radio off, and lowered the window, took off normally, and it shuddered again between 1st & 2nd. But I didn't hear any rattling. At the next light, I put the tranny in manual shift, and when I took off it shifted just fine. No shudder, or lurch. I repeated this at every stop and start and came up with this conclusion:

1) I only am getting a shudder between 1st & 2nd in auto, and only after the car has been through a few starts & stops. Never when it's first started up and relatively cold.

2) In manual mode no trouble at all.

3)I don't hear any rattle, nor is it lurching, or surging. It only seems as though it is trying to go into 2nd, but gets "confused?" and shudders.

What I've seen in most of the posts in here, this problem I am getting is most likely the seal leak issue, and there is probably some fluid getting on the clutch. Hopefully some of y'all can point me in the right direction. I really love this car, and I thankfully bought the extended warranty.
It sure could be a seal leak that is causing your symptoms. The easiest route, of course, is to take it to your dealer and let them have a look. It seems that dealers are better able to diagnose DCT problems a than they have been and are more willing to replace clutches and the like if there's a problem. Of course, your dealer could have a lousy service department in which case all bets are off.

If you want to take a quick look yourself, drive the front wheel up on suitable ramps and remove the engine undercover (this is removed for oil changes and is not a big deal) with a Torx screwdriver. Then take a look at the place where the transmission and engine join on the driver's side of the car. Seal leaks frequently result in drips of oil appearing here. If you have drips, you probably have a seal leak and that is probably causing your problem. If you don't have drips you could still have a seal leak but it's just being contained within the bellhousing.

An occasional slight shudder at launch or with gear changes is probably within the realm of normal behavior. But if they are frequent, consistent or profound they're not normal and should be investigated. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #2518
Tra1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99323
What I Drive: 2012, Tuxedo Black, Focus Titianum

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Tra1969 Good Standing Member
Add my Ti to the list. Clutch pack is on back order and will be replaced when it comes in. And a FYI: Dealer already knew off, the top of their heads, that the Fiesta clutch packs were on back order, and was pretty sure the Focus would be too(and they were). So how bad is the problem HMMMMM?
Moonroof, Sony MFT, siriusxm
Old 11-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #2519
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Points 166, Level 3
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch. View Post
You gotta wait a couple hundred miles. That's usually when the same ole behavior comes back.
It's back, made almost 500 miles.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #2520
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 325, Level 6
Points: 325, Level: 6 Points: 325, Level: 6 Points: 325, Level: 6
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
It's back, made almost 500 miles.
Many folks here had it come back also

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.