DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 233 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #2321
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You can hear the grind at 3 seconds, and maybe again at 12 seconds.

The video may not be of much value. When I was dealing with my CSM, I asked if I could send him a link to my video, in which you can hear the grinding in my car. He said sure. After two weeks, he called and said he wasn't allowed to go to YouTube at work, so he didn't see the video. I asked if he had Windows Media Player, and he said he did. So I sent him my video, a simple WMV file. Another two weeks went by and he called to tell me he couldn't open it. He also said the grinding in my car was "normal". I asked how he knew it was 'normal" if he didn't watch my video. He had no answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #2322
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 632, Level 12
Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonreyna View Post
Any one want to see my video on my 2012 focus after the 4th tranny failure.
TSB 13-4-5 done in April 2013.

FORD dealer Te....Ford in Fairfax Va. told me to take a hike back in June.

http://youtu.be/zC1LgVcc0m0
The problems you list in the description for that video are not apparent by watching the video. I think you'll need a better recording of the sounds to prove that there really is something wrong with it.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #2323
thetaorunner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119150
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus

FF Reputation: 1 thetaorunner Good Standing Member
Weighing in here (I was in another DCT thread)

Another DCT thread. This one appears to go back a few years to the original 2012 Focus. You would think this problem would have been fixed by the 2014 model year, but it's not.

I have a 2014 FF Ti with Nav/sunroof/Ti Handling pkg that I bought on 9/6/2013. I noticed shifting issues as I drove it home, at low speeds, sort of a shudder from 1-2. That is when I should have taken it back and told them I changed my mind, but at that time I did not know there were hundreds (thousands?) of affected FF 2012-2014 with the DCT.

My pre-purchase research included reading the professional reviews on about six different websites (Edmunds, KBB, Etc.) but I really thought they had the DCT figured out...like dozens of early posters to this thread who got a reflash of the TCM, found the car was more drivable but the fix does not seem durable.

I took mine in at 1500 miles due to drive-ability concerns, shift issues, shudders and the ubiquitous grinding noise at low speeds. They applied the most recent TSB, flashed the software, inspected the clutch (it was clean) and replaced the clutch seals. The car shifted and drove much better for 500 miles and now has essentially reverted to all of the previous problems with grind at all low speed shifts (more when warmed up) and the trailer hitching effect (not fixable I think) as well as poor shifting for speed/conditions (bogs down when merging and doesn't downshift when it should).

Disgusted, it spent 5 of its first 24 days in service in the shop. I took it back again after the problems resurfaced and they said the noise is normal and there isn't much else to do. They did suggest turning the radio up or whistling...

I can't get out of the lease without paying the difference between what I owe, and the wholesale price (e.g. $23800 - $19000 or about $4800.)

I guess I could take it back again for:

1) rough idle (since new)
2) strut noises from the front end
3) DCT issues as noted above

I wrote an email to investor relations, and have sent a PM to the Ford Service rep here and am awaiting a reply. It seems it will be going back in again.

Having driven Toyota for the prior two decades, I know no product is perfect, but I think this is a bit much for my foray back to domestic autos. I guess I missed the JD Power plummet of Ford from 5th to 23rd in 2011 and the 2/5 star ratings for the 2013 FF in quality, performance, and design. Shame on me.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #2324
aptech77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44296
What I Drive: 2012 POS!! Loaded SEL HB Ford Fucus

FF Reputation: 1 aptech77 Good Standing Member
^ Exactly my story.... :(
Old 10-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #2325
mk3WA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113174
What I Drive: 2014 5m Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mk3WA Good Standing Member
The clutch replace/flash fix improved the car, but not enough to inspire any faith in longevity. My four Ford streak comes to end, traded the car on a '13 Ram 1500 4x4.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #2326
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3WA View Post
The clutch replace/flash fix improved the car, but not enough to inspire any faith in longevity. My four Ford streak comes to end, traded the car on a '13 Ram 1500 4x4.
Good luck with it, I gave up as well, when I saw people getting fixes and then the problems returned.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #2327
mk3WA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113174
What I Drive: 2014 5m Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mk3WA Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
Good luck with it, I gave up as well, when I saw people getting fixes and then the problems returned.

Heartbreaking, the mk3 was my third Focus and I love them. But this transmission issue is just unacceptable.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #2328
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3WA View Post
Heartbreaking, the mk3 was my third Focus and I love them. But this transmission issue is just unacceptable.
Trust me I know. I am a lifelong car freak and did a lot of research before buying. The focus (when running right) is THE quickest, sportiest and economical car for the money. Like many others I saw the DCT problems but figured they could deal with it.
My bad
Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #2329
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 8,203, Level 61
Points: 8,203, Level: 61 Points: 8,203, Level: 61 Points: 8,203, Level: 61
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
You can hear the grind at 3 seconds, and maybe again at 12 seconds.

The video may not be of much value. When I was dealing with my CSM, I asked if I could send him a link to my video, in which you can hear the grinding in my car. He said sure. After two weeks, he called and said he wasn't allowed to go to YouTube at work, so he didn't see the video. I asked if he had Windows Media Player, and he said he did. So I sent him my video, a simple WMV file. Another two weeks went by and he called to tell me he couldn't open it. He also said the grinding in my car was "normal". I asked how he knew it was 'normal" if he didn't watch my video. He had no answer.
This CSM probably has the most awards from Ford for lowest vehicle warranty expense rate in the USA.

Warranty Accruals per Vehicle ratings is one of those bad/good systems. In one sense it can make an automaker appear to be building
better vehicles. The other side , the bad side can make an automaker appear to the (frustrated vehicle owner) that the trouble-shooting CSM's are
professionals at telling you the frustrated customer to go fack yourself.
http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20130711.html
Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #2330
2013FocusTitanium
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114498
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium White Platinum

FF Reputation: 2 2013FocusTitanium Good Standing Member
I just received a call from my Regional Cust. Service person saying my grinding was "normal". This is just unacceptable. Could the Ford person monitoring this thread please contact me with next steps - there is no way a 5-month-old vehicle should be making this noise; the vehicle is clearly damaging itself and this is our opportunity to stop and further damage.

Bookmarks & Social Networks