DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 221 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #2201
mk3WA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113174
What I Drive: 2014 5m Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mk3WA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Posted via FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #2202
mk3WA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113174
What I Drive: 2014 5m Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mk3WA Good Standing Member
It was leaking yes.

The most disturbing part and the part I keep coming back to is my car has spent a good 80% or so of its life on interstates. I hope the cars newfound smoothness sticks around. I babied the car and it still went wrong.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #2203
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3WA View Post
It was leaking yes.

The most disturbing part and the part I keep coming back to is my car has spent a good 80% or so of its life on interstates. I hope the cars newfound smoothness sticks around. I babied the car and it still went wrong.

Posted via FF Mobile
I have seen many posts which say you should "not" baby the car, and one person who favors WOT a few times every so often to help the clutches.

I say this is all crazy. You should be able to buy a new car and drive it without special arrangements.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #2204
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
I say this is all crazy. You should be able to buy a new car and drive it without special arrangements.
Agreed, a bunch of superstitious nonsense . . . "Oh, my transmission was fine because I swung a dead chicken over my head three times in a clockwise circle each time before driving the car . . . your tranny sucks because you didn't."

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #2205
aptech77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44296
What I Drive: 2012 POS!! Loaded SEL HB Ford Fucus

FF Reputation: 1 aptech77 Good Standing Member
Lol.....make me think,....bartender joe boo needs a refill.

Cerrano's looking for some extra power for tonight. He's looking to sacrifice a live chicken. Hey Jake, man, we can't have people puking in the locker room before the game!

We should've got the live chicken....lol
Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #2206
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
High fritter factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
I have seen many posts which say you should "not" baby the car, and one person who favors WOT a few times every so often to help the clutches.

If the new car you buy has tried and true technology, like a Toyota Corolla, you can. With tradeoffs, of course. Early adopters of most new technology have to fiddle with things more to get them to work right, and usually even pay more for the privelege.

Ford is breaking new ground with this dry DCT. It always takes a while to get new stuff like this worked out. Nissan is now known as having some of the best results with CVTs, but it was not that way for them when they first started selling them. I hope it eventually goes as well for Ford with the DCT. (And that the CVT in my wife's Nissan has a long and reliable life.)
Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #2207
slbenz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107708
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 slbenz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
If the new car you buy has tried and true technology, like a Toyota Corolla, you can. With tradeoffs, of course. Early adopters of most new technology have to fiddle with things more to get them to work right, and usually even pay more for the privelege.

Ford is breaking new ground with this dry DCT. It always takes a while to get new stuff like this worked out. Nissan is now known as having some of the best results with CVTs, but it was not that way for them when they first started selling them. I hope it eventually goes as well for Ford with the DCT. (And that the CVT in my wife's Nissan has a long and reliable life.)
Amen to that. Also, I am in Fremont as well. After the DCT replacement from Fremont Ford, last month, I (knock on wood) haven't had a problem as of yet.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #2208
Et cetera
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117795
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 2L TDCi 163PS (MPS6 DCT)

FF Reputation: 1 Et cetera Good Standing Member
I, for one, do feel that my focus is smoother if I give it firm "instructions" - i.e., if I want it to accelerate I'd step on the pedal firmer; if I don't want it to downshift as often, I tap the brake to let the transmission know (even though I really don't need to brake) -- if I don't do these and allow the car to coast slowly, then it just keeps up, down shift like an idiot.

But I don't believe this practice will even come close to solving all the DCT problems reported out there.

I cringe when I see my local forum members advising new focus owners to break in the clutches (train? tame? the cars) by red-lining the engine. The thing is, there are quite a few local forum members believing in this practice religiously.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #2209
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbenz View Post
Amen to that. Also, I am in Fremont as well. After the DCT replacement from Fremont Ford, last month, I (knock on wood) haven't had a problem as of yet.
Were you satisfied with the work their service department did on your car?

If I buy a new 2014 some time in the next year I'm hoping that it will never need to see the inside of any dealer service dept. There's not much choice, though, if it needs anything major like you had done. I need to start doing some homework so I'll be prepared if the need arises.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #2210
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et cetera View Post
I, for one, do feel that my focus is smoother if I give it firm "instructions" - i.e., if I want it to accelerate I'd step on the pedal firmer; if I don't want it to downshift as often, I tap the brake to let the transmission know (even though I really don't need to brake) -- if I don't do these and allow the car to coast slowly, then it just keeps up, down shift like an idiot.

But I don't believe this practice will even come close to solving all the DCT problems reported out there.

I cringe when I see my local forum members advising new focus owners to break in the clutches (train? tame? the cars) by red-lining the engine. The thing is, there are quite a few local forum members believing in this practice religiously.
can you imagine the expression on their family/co-workers/friends faces when they explain how WOT starts every so often is perfectly normal and acceptable to keep your transmission running properly ?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->