DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 204 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #2031
Focus in Paradise
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117678
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver S

FF Reputation: 1 Focus in Paradise Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Aloha to All...

I've had many of the same transmission problems mentioned here with our Focus. I've had it serviced by the dealer several times with little improvement. Finally, the car went into what some have called a "limp" mode. We got some lights, the car shifted roughly and would not go above 30 MPH. I "limped" the car to the dealership on 29 June. The car is still there, and the claim is that there is a worldwide shortage of the part: "Outer Input Shaft Seal AE8Z-7048-A". The dealership will give us no expected fix date although one person has quietly pulled us aside and claimed that it could be many months. Has anybody heard of this parts shortage, and when it might be remedied? Meanwhile, we continue paying on our 2012 Ford Focus "paper weight" while it continues collecting dust at the dealership service department in beautiful Honolulu, Hawaii!

Last edited by Focus in Paradise; 08-10-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #2032
OhFFS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114209
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 OhFFS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus in Paradise View Post
...there is a worldwide shortage of the part: "Outer Input Shaft Seal AE8Z-7048-A". The dealership will give us no expected fix date although one person has quietly pulled us aside and claimed that it could be many months. Has anybody heard of this parts shortage, and when it might be remedied? ...
That's one of the parts that is replaced in TSB 13-04-05. This is the TSB that addressed the leaking seals. Oil was getting to the clutches and causing them to slip.

Oddly enough, this part in "worldwide shortage" can easily be found on eBay right now. Is it possible the dealer was complaining about a shortage of BV6Z-7B546-C? That's the clutch assembly, and there have been many reports of a shortage of clutch assemblies.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #2033
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,942, Level 33
Points: 2,942, Level: 33 Points: 2,942, Level: 33 Points: 2,942, Level: 33
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
If you don't get help from the dealer, please see Ford CS rep Crystal here at this website and she will help you get your case escalated. There is also another Ford CS rep at ford's focus facebook page, he can be found as "eric at ford" at facebook, and like Crystal, he will help you get your case escalated. I do not know why some dealers give focus owners the runaround but I DO know the CS reps are concerned about helping you.
I dunno. The best the CS representatives can do is have someone higher up the chain contact your dealer. The likely outcome is the dealer still won't fix your car and will now be irritated because you went "over their heads". If the dealer says something's not broken it'll be really hard to find someone to contradict them.

A better approach may be to find a different dealer. Or, after exhausting efforts with your dealer let them know you're going to start emailing your good friend Mr. Mullaly at Ford. At this stage, the important thing is getting your complaint out of the service area completely, as its goal seems to be limiting warranty expenses, not customer satisfaction.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #2034
Focus in Paradise
Focus Rookie

OhFFS...Thank you for the response.

"Oddly enough, this part in "worldwide shortage" can easily be found on eBay right now."

I went on Ebay and noted what companies were offering part AE8Z-7048-A (Input Shaft Seal - Outer). I then called to assure that they actually had the part before I ordered it. Unfortunately, they will sell you the part, but they don't have the part! They are in the same situation as the Ford dealerships across the country. The good news is that while the dealerships hold their cards pretty tight to the chest, an Ebay seller read the notes associated with the part to me, and gave me the inside scoop. Apparently, the AE8Z-7048-A part has been discontinued and will be replaced with AE8Z-7048-B. This part is not yet manufactured. You can't even get a hit on it with an internet search!

Man...This is not looking good! I wish Ford would show some integrity and do something about it beyond the silent treatment. I'm sure the first lots of the new seal will go to the factory for new cars too. To all who are considering buying a Focus with a DSP6 Auto transmission, you might want to check the manufacturing date and make sure that you get the new seal in your transmission versus the old one! The old seal equals trouble!

Again, thanks for the response, OhFFS. You got me the answer to what's going on, even though I didn't get the part!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #2035
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Points 2,288, Level 28
Points: 2,288, Level: 28 Points: 2,288, Level: 28 Points: 2,288, Level: 28
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
mine is a 2013 built in october 2012. I had to get my seals/clutches replace in February 2013. It's been fine since then. But I will say as I rev higher and shift I hear a tiny bit of high pitched grinding and it's harsher shifting then when they first put in the replacement parts in February, But im getting great gas mileage so i'm not too worried. I figure i'll wait until Ford figures this out. I'm sure they will eventually. Until then if it starts to get bad again, i'll just take it back and have them replace it again lol.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #2036
OhFFS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114209
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 OhFFS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus in Paradise View Post
I went on Ebay and noted what companies were offering part AE8Z-7048-A (Input Shaft Seal - Outer). I then called to assure that they actually had the part before I ordered it. Unfortunately, they will sell you the part, but they don't have the part!
Well that's pretty shady of them. Thanks for checking! Interesting that there's a new revision. I wonder how many it will take before Ford gets it right.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #2037
Focus in Paradise
Focus Rookie

Dunno...At least I know that at some point in the DISTANT future when my car is fixed and returned, it will have the new seal and not the old one!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #2038
Minneapolis
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116983
What I Drive: 2012 black sel hb 2002 metallic zts

FF Reputation: 1 Minneapolis Good Standing Member
mr_cassandra and Crystal. TSB 13-4-5 was performed yesterday. Upon getting the car back (on day 1) the difference is night and day. The low speed shudder and click/grind is basically gone. Trying to figure out now what the performance differences will be (if any? Launch? Mileage? etc) from the TSB. But so far so good. New Brighton Ford (MN) is where the car got serviced - staff was very informative - and the transmission tech almost knew what I was going to say about the car when I walked through the door. Hopefully this fix isn't just a patch job - hoping day 1825 is as good as day 1 of this fix...
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #2039
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 325, Level 6
Points: 325, Level: 6 Points: 325, Level: 6 Points: 325, Level: 6
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolis View Post
mr_cassandra and Crystal. TSB 13-4-5 was performed yesterday. Upon getting the car back (on day 1) the difference is night and day. The low speed shudder and click/grind is basically gone. Trying to figure out now what the performance differences will be (if any? Launch? Mileage? etc) from the TSB. But so far so good. New Brighton Ford (MN) is where the car got serviced - staff was very informative - and the transmission tech almost knew what I was going to say about the car when I walked through the door. Hopefully this fix isn't just a patch job - hoping day 1825 is as good as day 1 of this fix...
Minneapolis, best wishes on your focus, when the transmission is working properly, its is one of the quickest & sportiest high MPG cars I have ever seen.

I'm just going to repeat for everyone else's sake to please keep in mind, remembering the dealers memo wherein they tell owners these symptoms are normal:

If those symptoms were "normal" how could this TSB make them go away ?

Last edited by mr_cassandra; 08-13-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #2040
badhac
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117532
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL Sedan

Points 32, Level 1
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 badhac Good Standing Member
My issue has been fixed as well. Dealer replace my clutches and then did tsb 13-4-5. Huge diff between how it drove and how it drives now, getting used to how quickly the car responds to throttle input now

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.