DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 202 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #2011
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
I just bought a used 12 Focus SEL on 7/31/13.On my short testdrive didnt notice much.Now been driving more and notice a low speed shutter and grinding sound.Plus transmission seems to shift sloppy and lazy. I seen about the software update so contacted my dealer and was told that expired in June so Im out of luck. I have to bring it in and have them look over it. Is there a deadline on stuff like that?
you need to contact Crystal, see post 2001 in this thread, she is a Ford rep

Hi everyone!

If you need any assistance, remember that I'm here to do what I can to help. Send me your information in a PM so I can check out options; I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name to get started.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #2012
badhac
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117532
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 badhac Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
you need to contact Crystal, see post 2001 in this thread, she is a Ford rep

Hi everyone!

If you need any assistance, remember that I'm here to do what I can to help. Send me your information in a PM so I can check out options; I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name to get started.

Crystal

Thank you! Just sent her a message so hopefully this works and dont have another bad experience with Ford after the sale
Old 08-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #2013
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 9 Arco-Zakus Good Standing Member
Pioneers take the arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
I hate to think what it is going to cost me, but I am going to trade for the mk7 GTI when it comes out. The DCT just ruins this car. ...
Wouldn't it be a good idea to give VW a year or two to resolve whatever "new production issues" the new generation will have before buying one?

Since Ford had sold the Mk3 Focus outside the US starting in 2011 I thought that it should be OK by 2012 here, but still resisted the urge to buy one when it first came out. Going into the 3rd model year in the US (4th worldwide), they still have not proven that all the early design and quality problems with the new generation have been resolved. VW's history with introducing new generations has shown (I have first hand experience) that they are not immune to that kind of thing, either.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #2014
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post
Wouldn't it be a good idea to give VW a year or two to resolve whatever "new production issues" the new generation will have before buying one?
Yes, and I had thought about that, but I don't know how long I can deal with the focus' DCT and never ending rattles.

Technically, by the time the MK7 reaches the USA, it will have been sold in Europe for a full year already, though the Mexican production line will be new.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #2015
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco-Zakus View Post

Since Ford had sold the Mk3 Focus outside the US starting in 2011 I thought that it should be OK by 2012 here, but still resisted the urge to buy one when it first came out. Going into the 3rd model year in the US (4th worldwide), they still have not proven that all the early design and quality problems with the new generation have been resolved. VW's history with introducing new generations has shown (I have first hand experience) that they are not immune to that kind of thing, either.
this is a really good point, I traded in my focus because of all the symptoms that Ford says are "normal" and I will never again buy a new model in its first year of production.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #2016
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhac View Post
Thank you! Just sent her a message so hopefully this works and dont have another bad experience with Ford after the sale
Hi badhac,

I received your PM and responded; check out your inbox for my message. :)

Crystal

t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #2017
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 9 Arco-Zakus Good Standing Member
Some problems are in the design, some are in the process

Quote:
... by the time the MK7 reaches the USA, it will have been sold in Europe for a full year already, though the Mexican production line will be new. ...
Deja vu. That sounds just like the Mk3 Focus. If I recall correctly, some of the earliest problems it had with the DCT were the result of incorrect assembly -- in new production lines in Mexico -- for models sold in the US. The ones sold in Europe in the prior year had not had the same problem.

Quote:
... but I don't know how long I can deal with the focus' DCT and never ending rattles. ...
Have you considered buying some other used car? You could drive it for a few years while the new VW matures. You might end up with something less than your ideal, but those years will go by a lot quicker if you're not spending them hassling with warranty repairs on a new car. Whatever you might have to spend on fixing things with it might still cost you less than what you lose in depreciation for the first year or two with any new car.

It also has the advantage of hindsight for which brands/models are more reliable and meet your other requirements. With a thorough inspection, detecting problems should be easier with a car that has 20k to 30k miles on it than one that is brand new. Of course, there's the tradeoff that it's a real hassle finding a good sample and making a good deal. (I hate that part.)

My history of avoiding problems with the cars I've bought that way is no better than with the cars I've bought new. But also, no worse. All cars have problems. The best we can do is to avoid the worst of them and fix, or live with, the rest.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #2018
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi everyone!

Crystal
Morning Crystal, There are at least two people looking for transmission help at the ford focus facebook page, I contacted Eric but he said he was tied up.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #2019
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
Morning Crystal, There are at least two people looking for transmission help at the ford focus facebook page, I contacted Eric but he said he was tied up.
Hi mr_cassandra,

I just had a chat with Eric and he doesn't have any new PMs from customers seeking assistance with Focus transmission concerns. The best way for people to reach out to him is to PM him directly. Thanks for looking out!

Crystal

t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #2020
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi mr_cassandra,

I just had a chat with Eric and he doesn't have any new PMs from customers seeking assistance with Focus transmission concerns. The best way for people to reach out to him is to PM him directly. Thanks for looking out!

Crystal
Thanks Crystal, though people find their way to Fords focus facebook page, I don't think they know to contact Eric at ford without someone telling them.
So all that has happened so far is they have gone to the focus facebook page and posted that they have a problem, asking what to do. If Eric gives them his info, I'm sure they would PM him.
Eric used to post back to them how to contact him there.

Bookmarks & Social Networks