DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 20 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #191
allenlcovert
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91894
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 allenlcovert Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The DCT Powershift transmission has been a disaster for me since it was new. I have had all the shakes, groans, banging and shudders I can stand.
In Oct the car was in the shop for two weeks due to a leaking transmission seal. Dealer replaced both clutches and other parts and reprogrammed the control modules. Now the tranny has been seemingly invaded by an invisible shifting devil that delights in shifting on its own into neutral at the worst possible moments! After having this happen four times I have taken it back to dealer for safety reasons - imagine shifting into neutral when turning left in front of a semi! Told dealer don't want the car back until they figure it out. I expect this will take weeks. If dealer can't fix then its off to the lemon law and NHTSA (hey Ford - how much money did Toyota lose on ignored safety concerns?) route.

It is a shame as this is a great car marred by hasty development.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #192
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenlcovert View Post
The DCT Powershift transmission has been a disaster for me since it was new. I have had all the shakes, groans, banging and shudders I can stand.
In Oct the car was in the shop for two weeks due to a leaking transmission seal. Dealer replaced both clutches and other parts and reprogrammed the control modules. Now the tranny has been seemingly invaded by an invisible shifting devil that delights in shifting on its own into neutral at the worst possible moments! After having this happen four times I have taken it back to dealer for safety reasons - imagine shifting into neutral when turning left in front of a semi! Told dealer don't want the car back until they figure it out. I expect this will take weeks. If dealer can't fix then its off to the lemon law and NHTSA (hey Ford - how much money did Toyota lose on ignored safety concerns?) route.

It is a shame as this is a great car marred by hasty development.
Allen, I certainly can understand your concerns and would be as upset as you are given the same circumstances. While that's said, I don't think I'm ready to throw the baby out with the bath water yet. The majority of us are seeing a programming issue and not a build problem, which you have. I like this transaxle a lot, when it functions as one would/should expect. The problems as listed here are really two-fold, programming (as I stated) and Ford/dealer. One aspect of Ford understands the issue and seems to be working hard to resolve the problem while the other doesn't appear to be communicating across and then down to the dealers about this process.

I hope you get resolution to your problem but so far it looks like a one off issue. I do enjoy this car a lot and as you stated it is new to the market and there would be some bugs to work through (and my wife would be happy to tell you that as well as she continues to tell me followed with and "I told you so").

Joe
Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #193
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucof2012 View Post
I hope the scanned image of my invoice shows up. TSB 11-10-06

What the heck is that?

Now, as I wait for my dealer to update his IDS so he can re-flash my car do I give him this new TSB or stick with the previous?

Having even less hair now, Joe

Last edited by jbird1955; 11-18-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #194
qksilvr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87304
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 qksilvr Good Standing Member
Could just be a typo from the tech that wrote up the ticket.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #195
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by qksilvr View Post
Could just be a typo from the tech that wrote up the ticket.
That is what I am thinking might have happened. I know he said he re-contacted the dealer to make sure it was correct and they confirmed that it was indeed 11-10-06 but maybe they just said that as they did not want to check into it.

Montana
Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #196
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
That is what I am thinking might have happened. I know he said he re-contacted the dealer to make sure it was correct and they confirmed that it was indeed 11-10-06 but maybe they just said that as they did not want to check into it.

Montana
Ah, so this would be the job order or work ticket for the tech?

(Phew?)
Old 11-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #197
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
Ah, so this would be the job order or work ticket for the tech?

(Phew?)
That is what the tech writes up and what they did to remedy the problem.

Montana
Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #198
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
i had mine done two days ago,,17 Nov, and i got 11-10-02
was told that was the latest avail.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #199
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

I'm kind of surprised that no one has officially killed the idea that there is an *-06 update out there and that *-02 is the latest.

Is there an actual Furd person on here to deny/confirm?

Old 11-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #200
JasonM
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87568
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 JasonM Good Standing Member
Thumbs up

Got mine done today, and tech said 11-10-02 was the latest. I also got the "it has to relearn everything so it might shift harder for a few days" speech. I don't know about shifting harder, but I can say that the update changed the whole personality of the car.
  1. The dreaded momentary loss of power on takeoff from a stop is completely gone. This was my biggest problem with the engine/transmission by far. It almost got me hit twice. Now I have the opposite problem. It puts so much power to the front wheels that they bounce and grab (sticky tires on Titanium handling package, so they don't really do the "spinning" thing...). That means that I need to learn how to manage the power on takeoff to get the most that I can without that happening. This is my first front-wheel-drive car in forever, so my past experience with fast cars and bikes (on and off track) isn't exactly helping as much as I'd like. I can work on driver skill, though. I'm just happy to finally have some power to learn to manage.
  2. The shudder is still there, but harder to make happen. I finally got to the point that I could make it happen fairly reliably in traffic going very slightly downhill by slowly releasing the brakes and staying off the throttle. It wasn't nearly as bad as it was previously, though, and that's the only situation I can reproduce it in so far. I'm not sure I would have noticed it if I hadn't been trying to make it happen on purpose.
  3. The shifting doesn't seem harsher than it was before the update like the TSB and the tech said it would be. It's actually smoother than it was before, and if it does get even smoother than this like it's supposed to, I'm going to be overjoyed. I hope I don't lose the newfound power, though. :)
  4. It felt much stronger today other than in takeoff mentioned above, most probably due to not short-shifting all the time, but I haven't really done a lot of testing that included passing other cars and such. I also have even tried out sport mode since I got it back. I hope that happens later this weekend if the forecasted snow/freezing rain stuff will stay away.
Overall, this and the MFT 2.11 update have totally changed my opinion of the car. I've had to have several other things fixed, from things as big as having the headliner replaced to fix a rattle to having the weatherstrips on the doors trimmed where they were touching, but those two fixes really have taken me from wishing I'd never bought it to really liking it except for a couple very small things. It finally feels like a lightweight small car with 160hp and a DCT, instead of a lightweight small car with <100hp and a cheap transmission.

After this, the upcoming major update to the MFT software just might make me able to truthfully say I love the car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->