DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 196 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #1951
06zx5guy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110644
What I Drive: 2006 sonic blue zx5

FF Reputation: 1 06zx5guy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My wife is about to take her 12 focus in today for her oil change and a leaky tire. I had her mention the roll back issue and chatter that I have gotten while driving it. The guy on the phone is already giving her the "no torque converter, acts like a manual" speech. They are "supposed" to take it for a drive. I'll report back if they actually do anything to it. My confidence is not high as of now. Car is almost a year old, just shy of 5k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #1952
06zx5guy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110644
What I Drive: 2006 sonic blue zx5

FF Reputation: 1 06zx5guy Good Standing Member
They did the free oil change, put the spare on because apparently the nail I saw near the outer tread meant the tire needed to be replaced. Had to order one. Never drove it to see if any of the problems I noticed would pop up. Did offer to rotate the tires for $30 though. Can't say I'm surprised. At least it's a lease, if anything major happens I'm not too worried I guess. Only have like 13 months left on the lease.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #1953
A2Focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90690
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 A2Focus Good Standing Member
My daughter has her Focus back, and says it drives just fine now. I'll get a chance to check it out in a couple weeks when we head over to her college for a visit.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #1954
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
the dealer called and said my car is ready.
yesterday they called and said they have to "call Ford engineers" for what to do next.
today my dealer called and said that the tech drove my car, and reported it to Ford, and that Ford said it's the "driving characteristics of that transmission" and they will give me a document detailing the characteristics of the transmission.
They say there is nothing wrong, mechanically, with the car. He told me my car has the most recent computer update and that the strategies are only reset if there is an update, so he said there will be no difference when I get the car back.

question: does my car have to have an engine light on in order to exibit a DTC? i told my tech about the DTC's I saw online and they said they would have seen it on my car if it applied to my car.

Well i'm glad to know that theres nothing wrong, or so they say, with the transmission. I guess it is just difficult to master?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #1955
2013FocusTitanium
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114498
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium White Platinum

FF Reputation: 2 2013FocusTitanium Good Standing Member
Here is one of the latest TSBs: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-04-05.pdf

And here is another: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-04-06.pdf

Finally a third, about clicking: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-04-18.pdf

Clearly Ford is trying to resolve these problems with reprogramming before any clutch parts are damaged. I think the key is to bring the vehicle into the dealer at the first sign of trouble and to not accept any brush off.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #1956
jonreyna
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109646
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jonreyna Good Standing Member
Purchased a used 2012 focus titanium with 21k miles on the 1st of this year from a non ford dealer, 500 miles later had a transmission failure, Ford dealer told me this one was not the first for this car, anyway ford dealer replaced the clutch pack, then 500+ miles later the tranny started to acting up little by little was getting worst, 1500 miles later dealer had again to replaced the clutch pack, now 600 miles later I can feel the clutch pack starting to make some noise, hesitation, mis shifts, vibration, day by day its getting worst, think I need a brand new transmission. so 3 tranny failures as far as I know.. maybe more than 3 getting close to the 4th.
well any way here is a copy of the TSB they did on my car from April.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #1957
Nick81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115146
What I Drive: 2012 Focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Nick81 Good Standing Member
I have similar experience with my DCT tranny. I've been already 4 times in Ford dealer regading the DCT tranny. The tranny progressively getting worse- more vibrations, slips, and terrible grinding noise. All dealers gave me the same useless sheet from Ford stating "normal driving characteristics of that transmission". I don't know why they don't want to do their job and fix this tranny. It's obvious that this behavior is NOT normal. Ford has to take example of Nissan that offered 10years and 100K miles on their CVT transmissions because they had multiple complains from their customers. And so far there are over 5000 official complains regarding Focus DCT tranny. I don't know what they are waiting for - someone to get killed in accident caused by DCT failure or what ? I already contacted BBB and I'll sue Ford for lemon car. I'll never buy Ford product again, period. Plus two of my friends already bought car from different manufacturer after I told them what piece of crap is the new Focus. I have a good feeling that this year sells of focuses will be significantly affected because of all these issues with DCT tranny. But this is what Ford deserves because they don't stand behind their crappy products. Nice done Ford .
Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #1958
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
My transmission was extra grindy yesterday!

Several times, while turning, it shifted into second - CRUNCH! Whole car shook. #NBD
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #1959
mishka
Focus Addict

I think i'm really mastering the dct now. I use manual mode most of the time. and I figured out how to keep the car from shaking/lunging. You just have to throttle more often. For example if you are in heavy stop/go traffic only touch the throttle as gently as you possibly can. if you give it more than that you will lunge at a low speed. you really do have to drive this tranmission like a manual to avoid lunging (trying to stall). You have to use the shifting to brake yourself a lot to avoid taking your foot on/off the gas.
like I said, if you are cruising in a low speed - 1st or 2nd gear - in stop/go traffic, when you go to put your foot back on the gas, try to touch the throttle as little as possible, but still giving it some throttle.
I hope that makes sense.
I've been working on my technique for weeks after I figured this out and finally mastered it. You need a REALLY gentle touch.

does anyone disagree with this?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #1960
mishka
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick81 View Post
I have similar experience with my DCT tranny. I've been already 4 times in Ford dealer regading the DCT tranny. The tranny progressively getting worse- more vibrations, slips, and terrible grinding noise. All dealers gave me the same useless sheet from Ford stating "normal driving characteristics of that transmission". I don't know why they don't want to do their job and fix this tranny. It's obvious that this behavior is NOT normal. Ford has to take example of Nissan that offered 10years and 100K miles on their CVT transmissions because they had multiple complains from their customers. And so far there are over 5000 official complains regarding Focus DCT tranny. I don't know what they are waiting for - someone to get killed in accident caused by DCT failure or what ? I already contacted BBB and I'll sue Ford for lemon car. I'll never buy Ford product again, period. Plus two of my friends already bought car from different manufacturer after I told them what piece of crap is the new Focus. I have a good feeling that this year sells of focuses will be significantly affected because of all these issues with DCT tranny. But this is what Ford deserves because they don't stand behind their crappy products. Nice done Ford .
sounds like you just need your clutchs/seals replaced. I had the same issue and my car is perfectly fine now. also sounds like you need to take the car to a different dealership because they are all different. some will say your car is fine, others will say it needs work. The truth is it just needs some work and you are over reacting. I understand your frustration, however, because I had similar thoughts when I found out my brand new car needed to have defective parts replaced. The fact of the matter is that even $100,000 cars brand new from the factory still have common mechanical defects that need attention - because they are mass produced vehicles. Cars are machines, but there is no perfect machine out there yet, and so there will always be defects.
I hope you reconsider your plan and try to get things fixed before you sue Ford for a lemon vehicle. It's probably not a lemon and just needs that simple fix. In any case you would have until the end of the warranty to file suit. So there is no point in not trying to get it fixed. Plus the repairs will obviously be covered by warranty too. Ford is one of the original car companies... so don't give up faith so easily.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->