DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 193 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #1921
cuozc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107955
What I Drive: 2012 red Focus se

FF Reputation: 1 cuozc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
wow... they replaced the whole trans? how many miles did you put on it before it had to be replaced and what was the problem with it? I have a 13' DCT and have had some issues. I'm taking it to the dealer because of grinding noises and the ride/drive has gotten continually less smooth at low speeds. it was smoothest when brand new and just after computer update.
It had 20k miles when the transmission was replaced.

I was experiencing shaking upshifting from 1-2 going uphill. The shaking was pretty bad at the time, but not very reproducible.

The dealer did not ask any question about it after hearing my description and just took care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #1922
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuozc View Post
[...]but not very reproducible.

The dealer did not ask any question about it after hearing my description and just took care of it.
I want your dealer.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #1923
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuozc View Post
Haven't come back for a while since my auto transmission replacement a couple of months ago.
Really hope all the owners find a nice dealer as I did. I simply took my car in and describe the problem, which was merely vibrating upshifting 1-2. The dealer replaced the whole transmission for me...
Hi cuozc,

I'm glad to hear your dealership took great care of you and that your ride is much more smooth now. If you'd like, I can document your service experience. Just send me a PM with your name, phone number, your dealership name and I'll get it entered into our system.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #1924
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
not to be off-topic (I considered making a new thread), but is anyone having transmission issues with their manual transmission MK3's?

If they can't fix the tranny on mine and if it turns out to be a lemon I might switch to manual tranny assuming it's not a POS.

I've grown fond of my MK3 Focus... for better or worse
Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #1925
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
not to be off-topic (I considered making a new thread), but is anyone having transmission issues with their manual transmission MK3's?

If they can't fix the tranny on mine and if it turns out to be a lemon I might switch to manual tranny assuming it's not a POS.

I've grown fond of my MK3 Focus... for better or worse
I had the 5-speed manual in my Fiesta. Great tranny with 35K trouble free miles on it. No compalints from the new owner's wife who loves it too. My ST has the 6-speed manual which I like even more than the 5-speed.

PS - my wife loves her 12 Ti w DCT.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #1926
morseman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113160
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 morseman Good Standing Member
fed up with chatter and shake too

i have had our focus for a year now and have had it to dealer twice already.once to correct the rollback problem and the other for a bad 1-2 shift.the dealer had the car for 3 days and told me that is the way the car is supposed to act and gave me a piece of paper outlining how great the 6 speed tranny was and that the symptoms were normal and it would get better with time.it is now a year old and it still drives horrible. i am very upset that the dealer didnt warn me that this was a flakey transmission. i sure would not have bought it. i have only 14000 miles on it and it has acted up since the day i bought it.what really upsets me is the car is now only worth 14000 and i paid over 22000 just a year ago.i wouldnt mind keeping the car, but dealer service on the transmission problem is non-existent! i hope there is a class action lawsuit very soon against ford for this pos. it sounds just like the problem with the freestyle cvt. no support and screw the buyer. what a disapointment!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #1927
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by morseman View Post
i have had our focus for a year now and have had it to dealer twice already.once to correct the rollback problem and the other for a bad 1-2 shift.the dealer had the car for 3 days and told me that is the way the car is supposed to act and gave me a piece of paper outlining how great the 6 speed tranny was and that the symptoms were normal and it would get better with time.it is now a year old and it still drives horrible. i am very upset that the dealer didnt warn me that this was a flakey transmission. i sure would not have bought it. i have only 14000 miles on it and it has acted up since the day i bought it.what really upsets me is the car is now only worth 14000 and i paid over 22000 just a year ago.i wouldnt mind keeping the car, but dealer service on the transmission problem is non-existent! i hope there is a class action lawsuit very soon against ford for this pos. it sounds just like the problem with the freestyle cvt. no support and screw the buyer. what a disapointment!
morseman, the ONLY thing which is normal in a DCT transmission is a "mild" shudder on low speed shifts.
unfortunately ford dealers have taken that letter and in many cases used it as a blanket explanation.
this is NOT a new transmission, it has been in vw-audi for many years and in recent years it has gone into many other car brands.
I owned a vw-gti with this transmission so I have experience that anything beyond a mild shudder on low speed shifts is NOT normal.
If you read over the posts here, you'll quikly see a wide range of problems that ford CAN and DOES fix, but ONLY if you study the subject and be persistent.
Why should you be persistent? because you'll lose a ton if you give up and sell it, and its an awesome car when the transmission is running the SAME as many, many other auto manufacturers selling the same transmission worldwide.
Please contact with your details so she can escalate your case, you can see her posts here on this thread. also you can find ford reps at the ford focus facebook page as well in the recent posts by section. (her contact info below), regards Steve

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #1928
mishka
Focus Addict

I don't know if shuddering at low speeds is "normal" or not.
My car was doing it a lot, voilently at take-offs and then they replaced my clutches/seals and got 2nd cpu reflash and it's much better since. Since the fix i've only had 3 shudders happen, and they were not at take-off. they were just after take-off usually going from 2-3 or 3-4. And once I had a shudder while driving like 40mph, it was really surprising and unexpected because I didn't even shift when it happened. You're telling me that's normal still? In my mind... I think Ford is still having issues with the tranny, but I have faith they will find a permanent fix eventually.
Also when I shift I hear this really high-pitches noise that almost sounds like a blow-out valve or something. I'm going to assume its normal for now... lol... i'm tired of having my car sit at my dealership.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #1929
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
I don't know if shuddering at low speeds is "normal" or not.
My car was doing it a lot, voilently at take-offs and then they replaced my clutches/seals and got 2nd cpu reflash and it's much better since. Since the fix i've only had 3 shudders happen, and they were not at take-off. they were just after take-off usually going from 2-3 or 3-4. And once I had a shudder while driving like 40mph, it was really surprising and unexpected because I didn't even shift when it happened. You're telling me that's normal still? In my mind... I think Ford is still having issues with the tranny, but I have faith they will find a permanent fix eventually.
Also when I shift I hear this really high-pitches noise that almost sounds like a blow-out valve or something. I'm going to assume its normal for now... lol... i'm tired of having my car sit at my dealership.
mishka, there are thousands of vw-audi owners worldwide, ask anyone with a vw gti , as a for instance.
this whole discussion is like the fog of war in that a simple subject has become like an act of congress.
briefly put, a DCT transmission (from ANY manufacturer) is like an automated standard transmission.
For that exact reason, it will shudder on a low speed shift, just as if YOU were shifting with a clutch YOURSELF.
NOTHING else is "normal", not bogging down on highway lane changes, not rolling back on hills, not clattering noises from under the hood, etc.

ask any vw-gti owner, you can find them in any supermarket parking lot anywhere

everyone reading this, please ask yourself one question: if these problems are "normal", how can repairs by Ford make them go away?

story over
Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #1930
mishka
Focus Addict

shuddering at 40mph couldn't possibly be normal. I didn't even shift. It was already in gear. I had it in automatic sport mode at the time. Foot on the gas pedal and suddenly violently shudders for no reason. All I know is sometimes this transmission seems has a mind of it's own. My honest opinion ( i know nothing about cars) is that the clutches/seals are still a problem. I mean they replaced the defective parts with the exact same brand new parts. So to me it looks like Ford is just replacing those parts over and over until they find a permanent fix. I did see people saying that Ford is claiming a no-fix at this time, however I don't know how accurate that is.

Bookmarks & Social Networks