DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 187 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #1861
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Points 2,230, Level 28
Points: 2,230, Level: 28 Points: 2,230, Level: 28 Points: 2,230, Level: 28
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
calm down buddy, I double posted by mistake.
And I have not had any problems. So when you say 'every new 2013 owner has also seen to have compained"... is not true. I thought I had a defect, but the dealers said it's normal operation. The tech also said that 95% of complaints is because people don't know how the DCT works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #1862
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,579, Level 65
Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
calm down buddy, I double posted by mistake.
And I have not had any problems. So when you say 'every new 2013 owner has also seen to have compained"... is not true. I thought I had a defect, but the dealers said it's normal operation. The tech also said that 95% of complaints is because people don't know how the DCT works.
I am perfectly calm, however when you spout that 0% of the 2013s have reported issues and the 2012s have a large number of reported issues without facts just based on the personal opinion that your one car is fine, and that you haven't been reading a lot of complaints about the 2013s does not a valid statistical fact make.

The dealer says everything is normal operation just to get out of repairing a car however, so I can't also take their word at face value. The car should not shudder, buck or jerk under normal conditions from a stop or during a shift. Yes there will be some slight differences in feel and sound over a torque converter backed planetary automatic, but that's because its a computer shifted dual clutch manual transmission.

You also have to filter out the complaints about not liking the way its supposed to work, with those who already know how its supposed to work yet still have mechanical or electrical issues such as faulty input shaft seals leaking onto the clutch causing it to get coated in oil, or a glazed clutch disk through a myriad of driving conditions which can cause all sorts of real issues.

The dealers tend to lie right to your face about things however, heck they told me one thing in relation to an issue with my heated seats yet told ford something completely different just to get out of fixing them.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #1863
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Points 2,230, Level 28
Points: 2,230, Level: 28 Points: 2,230, Level: 28 Points: 2,230, Level: 28
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
sorry to offend you... apparently you get very easily offended. Also you paraphrased the heck out of what I said earlier. Anyways.... so, what do you recommend that I do, if you say the dealership techs lie so they don't have to repair? I'm sure you're aware of the "defect" I have and they said it was "normal operation." do you suggest I tell they dealer techs they are wrong? or just take it to a random shop then? tell me suss?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #1864
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,579, Level 65
Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65 Points: 9,579, Level: 65
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
sorry to offend you... apparently you get very easily offended. Also you paraphrased the heck out of what I said earlier. Anyways.... so, what do you recommend that I do, if you say the dealership techs lie so they don't have to repair? I'm sure you're aware of the "defect" I have and they said it was "normal operation." do you suggest I tell they dealer techs they are wrong? or just take it to a random shop then? tell me suss?
I am not offended. I would recommend you to drive the car, if it breaks under the warranty period then raise hell about it if you have to, but otherwise this conversation is not going anywhere.

There are some good dealerships who may be able to solve your problems, but they are relatively few and far between.

I've measured the temperature of the seat heater on the car, the dealer claimed to have read one temperature to my face and the service papers they printed up, trying to say that the cloth seats should have been 20-30F colder than the leather seats, but told Ford customer service that the car was reading the 20-30F higher so someone got lied to in order to prevent the car from being repaired. The same with the defective body work alignment from the plant causing the headlamp to rub on the hood. Both times I had a verifiable concern and they dismissed them out of hand. That time claiming the car had been hit when there was no evidence to support this claim. Ford says if the dealer says something then it must be true. The dealer says their hands are tied by Ford, etc....

But that's off topic, except for the tangential relationship to having been treated poorly for having spent the money on a new Ford.

If you don't have any concerns or doubts then drive it until the wheels fall off, otherwise try to stick to the topic of actual TSB updates or the thread will need to get cleaned up.

My DCT was built with the same hardware as the 2013s, I don't have any complaints so far, but I also have the earlier 12B37 programming as factory installed, so the car still shifts to 6th at 35 mph in auto or SST manual mode.

I can't tell you what your car's problems are as I've never even driven it.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #1865
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBMK3 View Post
Just clicked over 500 mi. in my new '13, cautiously watching for any signs of DCT trouble. A bit of shudder during the first few days of ownership, but that has mostly ceased. Unfortunately, what's developed now is that after a good bit of time in stop & go city traffic (say 1/2 hour or so), there's a soft grinding noise during low-gear shifts. No sign of it otherwise. Disconcerting. *Really* hoping this clears up over time/miles.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306863

That will help allay fears.

I bought mine 11 months ago. After a couple months, mine developed 'the noise' and it only happens after the car's been warmed up and running a while. It infrequently shuddered when accelerating from a stop as well. 12B37 was applied in May and since then shuddering has been a non-issue since then as well (it used to shudder in first gear, going from stop to acceleration).

I also learn to drive it with more gusto - not flooring it, but adding more oomph - I try to get to 3000~3500RPM between shifts but will also let it shift at 2000 or 2500, depending on traffic. But, slow or fast, it's the smoothest transmission shifting I've ever felt from a car.

The transmission between gears has always been smooth, even if "the noise" is present between 1/2, 2/3, and maybe 3/4 if I'm really trying to hear things.

As long as it doesn't seize up, halt, break, jump out of the car to bludgeon me with its gear, or drip oil for me to slip and break my neck on, it's all fine. Manual transmissions are said to make noises during shifting as well. The DCT is an amalgamation of 2 manuals lumped together and ran by computer...

Most people who've had actual problems have had transmissions replaced or repaired as needed.

I honestly wouldn't worry, even if you feel any trepidation. I still do at times, but the DCT is a fairly new technology and other brands have not dissimilar issues.

I would worry if you feel shuddering or other problems, especially after gear 2 is reached... TooTall's response makes sense, but problems that happen to some don't happen to all, and just because one person has problems doesn't mean others will... and, even better, just because others don't have problems doesn't mean others won't have problems.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #1866
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
I've driven at least 10 2012 focus most rentals and this is my 2nd 2012. They all had the same behavior. After long drives the clutch noise (grinding noise) will show up. After long periods riding the clutch some shutter appers and will go away after the clutch cools down.
Even the 50000km rental Had exactly the same behaviour .
Its a great car way better than any cruze or dart. All the owners should enjoy all the pros instead of keep making a huge deal of the cons. I'm a very happy focus owner and all you guys should be as well because we have a great car.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #1867
MJBMK3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108942
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 201A

FF Reputation: 1 MJBMK3 Good Standing Member
Thanks, unfocused1. It's just trepidation on my part, waiting for the "other shoe to drop." In nearly all other respects, the DCT has performed well. I knew going in that the eco-minded transmission would behave in a much more "fly-by-wire" fashion than a conventional auto. I just do now what I did when I rented an automatic Fiat 500 a couple of years ago: flip it to "Sport" when it feels too boggy and gutless for my driving mood.

Now if someone would just hack into the steering wheel controls for the cruise control and Sync voice-activation so we can enjoy proper paddle-shifters...
Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #1868
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,149, Level 34
Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34 Points: 3,149, Level: 34
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
In my car (2013 DCT) one of the shifts is much slower...
mishka,

I want to offer my help by setting up a call from your regional customer service manager. So I can do this, please send me a PM with your full name, VIN, best daytime phone number, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superd View Post
Mine has the same behaviour.
I see in your profile you live north of the border, Superd. I recommend calling Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673 and speaking to one of the agents so they can assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
...FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE please advise ASAP>>>> THANKS...
mjb457,

I see you spoke with Marilyn. Please don’t hesitate to let me know via PM if you want a follow-up call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall View Post
...The dealer diagnosed it as a leaking seal, saying that fluid was getting on the clutch(es). The dealer has ordered the necessary parts and will notify me when they're ready to repair the DCT.
I’m confident your dealer will take care of this for you, TooTall.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #1869
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
This is a long post but worth your time to read - if you search these forums you will find hundreds of posts with variations of it. Be aware that "normal" is a mild shudder on low speed shifting because this is an automatic MANUAL, but that’s ALL. Shudders, noises and bog downs that attract your passenger’s attention are NOT normal. I owned a VW GTI and it did NOT do this. Go to any major auto show and you can now find this transmission being used worldwide in cars ranging from the mundane to the wildly exotic. If you go read the posts at the ford focus face book page, you will see people over there as well who are extremely unhappy with the dealer telling them "this is normal".
This problem takes various forms, roughly summarized below taken from customers who got repairs and explanations from the dealer:
There are various TSB’s (Technical Service Bulletins)that the dealers have, dealing with dct transmission problems. You can find them on these forums.
Mild shudder at low speed shifts, normal on all dual clutch transmissions in all makes, mild enough that your passengers do NOT notice. NORMAL
Grinding/rattling noise from under hood when shifting at higher speeds-NOT NORMAL, possible cause-leaking oil seal contaminating-throw out bearing and/or missing sleeve for the bearing. Also known to be involved-clutch and actuators. Also known to be involved-seals, bad seals allow oil contamination of clutch and throw out bearing.
Rough shifting, speed sensors caked with leaking oil and metal
If there is a slick fluid leaking between the engine and bell housing, you've got a problem!
In a technical service bulletin dated Sept. 13, the automaker informed dealers that some 2012 Focuses “may exhibit various automatic transmission and engine driveability concerns.”
There is a TSB (11-12-13) published on December 23, 2011 that states some cars might have transmission fluid leaking where the bell housing meets the engine. If you have this, get it fixed.
Bogging down, almost stalling at higher speeds in traffic, this is dangerous and no discussion of normal is possible.
In addition, you will find posts here by people where Ford has pulled out the transmission, replaced seals, throw out bearings and clutches and the problem is GONE.
I live in New England and when the cold weather came in, the problems were GONE.
Anything beyond a mild shudder at low speed shifting is not normal and this can be crosschecked with other brand owners of this same type transmission.
If it were normal, how can repairs and/or cold weather make it go away?
It is up to all focus owners experiencing these problems to be pro-active and get their issues escalated. If you need to print everything you can find here and bring it to the dealer. He may not even know the scope of the problem.
When this transmission is running properly, this is THE sportiest car for the money that I am aware of.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #1870
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

Points 127, Level 2
Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2 Points: 127, Level: 2
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
This is a long post but worth your time to read - if you search these forums you will find hundreds of posts with variations of it. Be aware that "normal" is a mild shudder on low speed shifting because this is an automatic MANUAL, but that’s ALL. Shudders, noises and bog downs that attract your passenger’s attention are NOT normal. I owned a VW GTI and it did NOT do this. Go to any major auto show and you can now find this transmission being used worldwide in cars ranging from the mundane to the wildly exotic. If you go read the posts at the ford focus face book page, you will see people over there as well who are extremely unhappy with the dealer telling them "this is normal".
This problem takes various forms, roughly summarized below taken from customers who got repairs and explanations from the dealer:
There are various TSB’s (Technical Service Bulletins)that the dealers have, dealing with dct transmission problems. You can find them on these forums.
Mild shudder at low speed shifts, normal on all dual clutch transmissions in all makes, mild enough that your passengers do NOT notice. NORMAL
Grinding/rattling noise from under hood when shifting at higher speeds-NOT NORMAL, possible cause-leaking oil seal contaminating-throw out bearing and/or missing sleeve for the bearing. Also known to be involved-clutch and actuators. Also known to be involved-seals, bad seals allow oil contamination of clutch and throw out bearing.
Rough shifting, speed sensors caked with leaking oil and metal
If there is a slick fluid leaking between the engine and bell housing, you've got a problem!
In a technical service bulletin dated Sept. 13, the automaker informed dealers that some 2012 Focuses “may exhibit various automatic transmission and engine driveability concerns.”
There is a TSB (11-12-13) published on December 23, 2011 that states some cars might have transmission fluid leaking where the bell housing meets the engine. If you have this, get it fixed.
Bogging down, almost stalling at higher speeds in traffic, this is dangerous and no discussion of normal is possible.
In addition, you will find posts here by people where Ford has pulled out the transmission, replaced seals, throw out bearings and clutches and the problem is GONE.
I live in New England and when the cold weather came in, the problems were GONE.
Anything beyond a mild shudder at low speed shifting is not normal and this can be crosschecked with other brand owners of this same type transmission.
If it were normal, how can repairs and/or cold weather make it go away?
It is up to all focus owners experiencing these problems to be pro-active and get their issues escalated. If you need to print everything you can find here and bring it to the dealer. He may not even know the scope of the problem.
When this transmission is running properly, this is THE sportiest car for the money that I am aware of.
+1 - Agree 100%

Grinding is NOT normal in any context and is the sound of your transmission parts wearing out prematurely. I had clutches replaced on my 12 Ti and have had a smooth running car for the last 5k (touch wood). We are entitled to have this issue fixed under warranty. Hopefully Ford will be fair and cover this issue beyond the regular warranty.

Other than this problem I love this car and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.