DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 163 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #1621
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Picked my car up today after service for a number of issues, transmission leakage included. They said they found the seal leak and fixed/replaced it (and that in fact I was one of 5 they had done this week, another one of which was sitting in the service bay waiting to be processed. I'm sure that was supposed to make me feel better). When I pulled out of the dealership, I noticed that backing up generated a lot of shuddering and bucking. I remember people talking about this, but can't find it at the moment. Does anyone know what this is about? Is it due to them unhooking the battery/resetting the PCM or some such and it just needed to break in again? I have had more than enough of service work for a while so I have no desire to bring it back in to be looked at.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #1622
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
When I pulled out of the dealership, I noticed that backing up generated a lot of shuddering and bucking. I remember people talking about this, but can't find it at the moment. Does anyone know what this is about? Is it due to them unhooking the battery/resetting the PCM or some such and it just needed to break in again? I have had more than enough of service work for a while so I have no desire to bring it back in to be looked at.
I recall this on another thread as well. Most likely it is because the adaptive learning has been reset combined with the fact that the new clutch needs to be re-seated. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #1623
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Yep. Mine was a little odd at first with the new clutch replacement and that almost stalling feeling when backing, also the first time I drove it the shifts were a little abrupt. It worked itself out pretty quickly and seems really good now.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #1624
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Picked my car up today after service for a number of issues, transmission leakage included. They said they found the seal leak and fixed/replaced it (and that in fact I was one of 5 they had done this week, another one of which was sitting in the service bay waiting to be processed. I'm sure that was supposed to make me feel better). When I pulled out of the dealership, I noticed that backing up generated a lot of shuddering and bucking. I remember people talking about this, but can't find it at the moment. Does anyone know what this is about? Is it due to them unhooking the battery/resetting the PCM or some such and it just needed to break in again? I have had more than enough of service work for a while so I have no desire to bring it back in to be looked at.
I think Ford has named this the "trailer hitch effect" and of course it's "normal".
I am at about 3200 miles and it has done it since new. Hasn't gotten any better or worse.

Last edited by jdetzel; 10-03-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #1625
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I can't say the clutch not being covered is something that really surprises me, it just irritates me.
I would not expect that a worn out clutch (normal wear and tear) would be covered under warranty.

However, we know that there is a TSB regarding leaking seals which may result in clutch contamination.

I would expect that leaking seals (and *any* damage caused by the leaking seals) would be covered under warranty.

Perhaps someone can make this distinction and clarify this issue.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #1626
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
As far as I know, a torque converter isn't a wear item so it's easy to include it in an extended warranty! Clutches wear, but since this is a dual-clutch, I'd expect it to last twice as long!

I was wondering the same thing. But then again, if it were hypothetically covered, I'm sure someone will get turned down because of dealer representative ignorance at some point as well. *sigh*
Torque converters contain moving parts, moving parts experience wear. I've already experienced as a passenger two AX4N/4F50N 4 speed automatics destroying the oil pump shaft which drives the fluid between the torque converter and the transmission, ergo no drive. Neither were covered by any sort of warranty at 106-114 between the two of them.

The first one that failed and was rebuilt might have later had an issue with the lock up clutch inside the converter, don't know if it was rebuild/ replaced properly at that time.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #1627
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
This is what I was told is being done to my wife's car. "Seal is leaking fluid on other parts and causing them to fail". Car might be ready to pick up tomorrow.

I had emailed the service advisor I normally deal with and he replied it was being handled by another team. He said he forwarded my email to the other team. I never received an email from them. Instead, they called my wife and left her a message with nothing more than the quote above. Very frustrating. My wife does not know what to ask and English is not her first language.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #1628
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Dropped my car off for the tranny issue yesterday and requested a technician ride with me so I could demonstrate the problem. I said "it seems like the clutch is slipping" and he sorta ignored me but acknowledged that there was an issue. He also nodded when I said that the problem manifested itself after the recall. Towards the end of our little drive it slipped real bad and after I pointed it out he turns to me and says "your car doesn't have clutches".

No confidence at all that they will fix this thing.

On a side note, it was rather infuriating to listen and feel the same tranny shift and take-off like a champ in the Fiesta they gave me for a rental. I will be sure to point that out when I get the "that's how these transmissions work" call later today.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #1629
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Dropped my car off for the tranny issue yesterday and requested a technician ride with me so I could demonstrate the problem. I said "it seems like the clutch is slipping" and he sorta ignored me but acknowledged that there was an issue. He also nodded when I said that the problem manifested itself after the recall. Towards the end of our little drive it slipped real bad and after I pointed it out he turns to me and says "your car doesn't have clutches".

No confidence at all that they will fix this thing.

On a side note, it was rather infuriating to listen and feel the same tranny shift and take-off like a champ in the Fiesta they gave me for a rental. I will be sure to point that out when I get the "that's how these transmissions work" call later today.
Have you tried a second dealer?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #1630
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
Have you tried a second dealer?
For the most part they have been great, I've been able to steer them to the TSBs and they have taken care of whatever I've asked so I don't want to abandon them yet. It seems that a lot of the techs are kinda in the dark about these things everywhere according to some of the posts on this board. If they don't give it a thorough look over this time, I may try another dealer

Bookmarks & Social Networks