DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 161 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #1601
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
My friend's $10k Aveo doesn't jerk when shifting.

Well, if they don't replace our clutches and we buy new ones directly from Ford, it's a win-win for them. I really need to stop ranting about this DCT on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
That's what I'm saying. The way they're saying the transmission "should" act is basically the way a company would respond if they wanted customers to have to buy new clutches in a few years.
That's a bit unethical... and deceptive... and deceitful... if what you assert is true. Customers deserve better than these antics...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #1602
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
So this morning I may have come up with a solution (not a joke...I actually didn't have the issue after trying it)...and it may revolve around the Traction Control. Check out the topic and let me know if you have the same experience.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4384697
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #1603
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
So this morning I may have come up with a solution (not a joke...I actually didn't have the issue after trying it)...and it may revolve around the Traction Control. Check out the topic and let me know if you have the same experience.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4384697
I had a similar experience but not always consistent. Sometimes I'd come around that same corner with Trac off and feel like the entire overall shifting, gear selection and it holding the gears through the turns was way better but then there'd seem to be an occasion where it would fall right back on it's face in the turns.

If we ever get any tuning for this car. I hope the first thing they do is turn off Torque management. I think that's probably the biggest issue.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #1604
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Hi,

It's been a while since I've been here, so I can't say I've read all 130 pages of this thread. I had the transmission update done several months back and it was a vast improvement. For a while. Slowly the car returned to jerking and shuddering when in stop and go traffic or creeping forward. Shifts in general became increasingly rough and the shudder between first and second appeared. The longer you drove the car the worse it would get. My wife and I took a road trip from Oregon to Arizona and sometimes after getting off the freeway after a couple hours the car would lurch and shudder so much it was unbearable.

Anyway, took car in yesterday for this issue and driver's strut clunking noise. Dealer called my wife late in the afternoon and said they needed to keep it until Thursday because they had to order parts for the transmission. She didn't ask what parts or why. I'll try to find out today and let everyone know.

Mine has about 23K miles on it.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #1605
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
Does the 1->2 and 2->3 noise happen when you start the car cold, or do you not hear anything until after the car has been driven for a while? Mine happens during the latter... it's happening to so many people, and there's no metal shavings or anything else wrong that's been seen by the mechanic for oil changes and such, so I've not felt the need to escalate anything.

Mine doesn't shudder, though. Just the noise.
Mostly just when it's warm, though it's not uncommon for it to do it on the first shift in the morning because I can hear it bouncing off all of the garages in the alley. The jerking and bucking was worse in the summer, but the noise is just as prevalent.

Well, I'd imagine any metal shavings would be inside the sealed compartment between the engine and the transmission (bell housing?) where the engine meets the transmission, but not where the gears are. (Not that I think there are any metal shavings...)

EDIT: I finally figured out how to duplicate my noise for the dealer, I just haven't gotten to it yet. If I put in into sport mode and shift to 2nd at a relatively low RPM then give it some gas it sounds like the clutch is slipping like crazy, then I can essentially skip 3rd and shift to 4th and give it some gas and it makes the same noises. Time for another video today?

EDITx2: I realize that there are few cases where one would actually shift like this (and it can't be good for the car), but when you're trying to demonstrate the noises it's making to someone, the louder and longer those noises last, the better.

Last edited by PratoN; 10-03-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: More info, OCD, etc.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #1606
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Yeah that was how I demonstrated the noise to the BBB inspection lady. I wish they would get back to me so I can move forward. Can't do anything until that is done.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #1607
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Ok, with all the talk of clutches getting replaced starting to be concerned that maybe my clutches may need to be replaced before they are actually worn out and after the warranty expires, I checked in to purchasing the FORD Extended Service Plan.
Went here http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...ESPWizardStep1 and looked. Cannot find where the clutch or clutches are covered under any ESP.
Sent Ford Customer Service a PM asking the specific question, “Will the clutch assembly in my Automatic Transmission 2012 Focus be covered by a Ford ESP.”
Got back this reply “It depends on a variety of factors, including which ESP you currently have. You can give the ESP department a call at 877-794-6434 and they'll fill you in on the details. Also, your dealership will be able to provide specifics if you'd prefer to reach out to them”
I called the ESP department (to get filled in on the details) and was told point blank, in no uncertain terms, NO, the clutch is not covered. Doesn’t make any difference what variety of factors or which ESP plan I have.
I tend to keep cars a long time. My last one was 10 years and the one before for 8 years. So, guess I need to be optimistic and start saving up for an out of pocket clutch replacement just in case. It is bound to be cheaper that what it would cost to get rid of the car now.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #1608
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Ok, with all the talk of clutches getting replaced starting to be concerned that maybe my clutches may need to be replaced before they are actually worn out and after the warranty expires, I checked in to purchasing the FORD Extended Service Plan.
Went here http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...ESPWizardStep1 and looked. Cannot find where the clutch or clutches are covered under any ESP.
Sent Ford Customer Service a PM asking the specific question, “Will the clutch assembly in my Automatic Transmission 2012 Focus be covered by a Ford ESP.”
Got back this reply “It depends on a variety of factors, including which ESP you currently have. You can give the ESP department a call at 877-794-6434 and they'll fill you in on the details. Also, your dealership will be able to provide specifics if you'd prefer to reach out to them”
I called the ESP department (to get filled in on the details) and was told point blank, in no uncertain terms, NO, the clutch is not covered. Doesn’t make any difference what variety of factors or which ESP plan I have.
I tend to keep cars a long time. My last one was 10 years and the one before for 8 years. So, guess I need to be optimistic and start saving up for an out of pocket clutch replacement just in case. It is bound to be cheaper that what it would cost to get rid of the car now.
Oh jeez...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #1609
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Rude. Especially considering this car shifts by itself and it's not something that we can control.

EDIT: Okay, I should rephrase that. Yes, clutches are going to wear. But if fails because of a leaking seal within the extended warranty but outside of the powertrain warranty, I think it should be covered.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #1610
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
so far I am far for impressed with this car. I know some people are having great luck and really enjoying their car, but for some of us it has been the worst choice we ever made to purchase this car! I am ready to see it go someplace else, just not in my driveway! tired of the repeated trips to the dealer for repairs that never happen. Tired of Ford's response to those of us having several issues. Tired of the car period! Heck I do not even have 8000 miles and my car was bought in February! I have driven more rentals and loaners than I can recall. My neighbor asked me if i worked for a car lot because I constantly have a different car! He wanted a good deal on a car for himself! I said well I have this 2012 Focus for you! haha

Bookmarks & Social Networks