DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 160 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #1591
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey gang,

Thanks to those of you who have reached out; your cases have been escalated. There are a couple of you who I've contacted about getting some additional information - as soon as I have those extra details your cases will be escalated as well.

Just a reminder: a PM is the fastest way to get in touch with me. I'm happy to chat with anyone and see how I can help out.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #1592
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Did they explain what the grinding was and why one should consider grinding noise from a transmission normal?
I got an explanation, but without a diagram or taking the thing apart, I'm not sure I understand how that noise could be healthy.

My guess is that at some point over the next 100,000 miles, the transmission will need new clutches. Maybe some got through QC with a problem and nobody noticed.

To the other question - ford offered the warranty extension as a courtesy to me. In my case, it's really helpful in terms of future with the car because 100k miles is going to be 4-5 years, 60k would be 2 more.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #1593
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Car made some really nice clanky (I believe someone equated this noise to dragging a metal garbage can top behind their car?) noises going into 2nd and 3rd (or 4th I wasn't really paying attention) today. Yayyy....

Why can't my car act up when I'm trying to show the dealer these sorts of things? It's like my car knows when I'm in a bind for time and only pulls this crap when I'm busy or on my way to work or something.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #1594
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Have mine at the dealership right now. They called me around 10pm last night and said "Everything is performing as it should!". I said, "Then why does it shift like a teenager without their license?". He literally said he didn't know what I was talking about. From a stop, it never fully engages the first gear. It shudders a bit and then shifts to second. He said, "We took it on the highway for a bit and didn't have an issue".

Unless they were driving down the highway in first gear, I'm not sure what relevance that had to my problem. Seriously...Ford techs know next to nothing about these transmissions, which is ridiculous since PowerShift trannies have been used since 2008.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #1595
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
"We took it on the highway for a bit and didn't have an issue".

Also, my car kind of sounded rattly on my way to work this morning. I don't have time to troubleshoot my car's problems (I mean, that's why I bought a new car...) but it sounds like it (faintly) rattles the entire time it's in (3rd?) gear, not just when shifting gears.

EDIT: The car is still driving fine aside from the 1->2 shudder, but mostly it's just embarrassing when my passengers look at me when my car makes that noise and all I can do is shrug and say "Oh, that's how these transmissions work..." *turns up the radio*
Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #1596
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post

Also, my car kind of sounded rattly on my way to work this morning. I don't have time to troubleshoot my car's problems (I mean, that's why I bought a new car...) but it sounds like it (faintly) rattles the entire time it's in (3rd?) gear, not just when shifting gears.

EDIT: The car is still driving fine aside from the 1->2 shudder, but mostly it's just embarrassing when my passengers look at me when my car makes that noise and all I can do is shrug and say "Oh, that's how these transmissions work..." *turns up the radio*
See mine doesn't make rattle noises, at least, but it shudders like crazy in first gear. From the point that I start pressing the accelerator pedal to the point that it shifts into second it shudders like Stephen Hawking is operating the clutch. My favorite part is being told, "That's how Ford wants the car to operate".

Really? Ford wants the car to embarrass me in front of anyone that's a passenger in the car? They want to make my $30k car feel like a $10k Aveo? They want my mother, who knows nothing about cars, to ask me "What's wrong with your car"? If any of that is true then I'd have to assume the brilliant minds at Ford Motor Company either know nothing about cars or can't wait for their customers to start ordering replacement clutches in the next few years.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #1597
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
They want to make my $30k car feel like a $10k Aveo? They want my mother, who knows nothing about cars, to ask me "What's wrong with your car"? If any of that is true then I'd have to assume the brilliant minds at Ford Motor Company either know nothing about cars or can't wait for their customers to start ordering replacement clutches in the next few years.
My friend's $10k Aveo doesn't jerk when shifting.

Well, if they don't replace our clutches and we buy new ones directly from Ford, it's a win-win for them. I really need to stop ranting about this DCT on here.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #1598
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
My friend's $10k Aveo doesn't jerk when shifting.

Well, if they don't replace our clutches and we buy new ones directly from Ford, it's a win-win for them. I really need to stop ranting about this DCT on here.
That's what I'm saying. The way they're saying the transmission "should" act is basically the way a company would respond if they wanted customers to have to buy new clutches in a few years.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #1599
rsullivan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104407
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 rsullivan Good Standing Member
Have them check the throw out bearing plates. My dealer described it as "falling flat on its face shifting into second gear"- he was absolutely correct. After several dealer visits and a video of what was happening AND it falling flat on its face for the dealer, they tore apart the thing and found something broken off with those plates....replaced clutch assembly and some other stuff. Drives like a dream now.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #1600
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Have mine at the dealership right now. They called me around 10pm last night and said "Everything is performing as it should!". I said, "Then why does it shift like a teenager without their license?". He literally said he didn't know what I was talking about. From a stop, it never fully engages the first gear. It shudders a bit and then shifts to second. He said, "We took it on the highway for a bit and didn't have an issue".

Unless they were driving down the highway in first gear, I'm not sure what relevance that had to my problem. Seriously...Ford techs know next to nothing about these transmissions, which is ridiculous since PowerShift trannies have been used since 2008.
It'd be nice if employers helped train the employees, but it's much more fun to see people get up to their necks in student loans...

Quote:

Does the 1->2 and 2->3 noise happen when you start the car cold, or do you not hear anything until after the car has been driven for a while? Mine happens during the latter... it's happening to so many people, and there's no metal shavings or anything else wrong that's been seen by the mechanic for oil changes and such, so I've not felt the need to escalate anything.

Mine doesn't shudder, though. Just the noise.

Bookmarks & Social Networks