DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 159 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #1581
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102548
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Posts: 282
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I paid $1,315 for a 6 year/125k mile PremiumCARE ESP ($50 deductible with 1st day rental). From the looks of it, I'll probably get my moneys-worth.
Wow! I think now I would have to pay $1200 and all it will do is extend the factory warranty for another 3/36.
jdetzel is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #1582
Moodabear
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103183
Location: Nebrasaka city, NE
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus SEL

Posts: 5
FF Reputation: 1 Moodabear Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I wanted to add my latest to this:

I have a DCT that functions fine except for the grind-while-shifting noise from 1->2. This past week, I got in touch with the ford customer service person on the forums, Crystal and she got me in touch with Brian who is the DC-area ford customer service person.

He set up a drive around with a Tech at Apple Ford here. Everyone was pleasant and professional. The tech said the noise was 'normal' for the transmission which wasn't really what I wanted to hear. The DCT/ABS was not up to date, so they flashed that.

The result of the flash was that the car seemed about the same. But they warned the grinding noise wouldn't be effected and it wasn't.

In the end, Brian/Ford gave me an extended powertrain warranty for 6years/100,000miles, which is nice because I'm putting about 20k miles on per year and I was worried about getting off warranty.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, contacting the Ford folks here was a good move. It simplified dealing with my dealer - not that they wouldn't have given me a tech to drive around with, but I didn't have to deal with it. And in the end I got a warranty extension that was worth some $ and peace of mind.

gk

How does one go about getting this extended Warranty??? How much did you have to pay???
Moodabear is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #1583
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102548
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Posts: 282
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodabear View Post
How does one go about getting this extended Warranty??? How much did you have to pay???
You can look here
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...r/Page/ESPPage
jdetzel is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #1584
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102548
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Posts: 282
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I wanted to add my latest to this:

I have a DCT that functions fine except for the grind-while-shifting noise from 1->2. This past week, I got in touch with the ford customer service person on the forums, Crystal and she got me in touch with Brian who is the DC-area ford customer service person.

He set up a drive around with a Tech at Apple Ford here. Everyone was pleasant and professional. The tech said the noise was 'normal' for the transmission which wasn't really what I wanted to hear. The DCT/ABS was not up to date, so they flashed that.

The result of the flash was that the car seemed about the same. But they warned the grinding noise wouldn't be effected and it wasn't.

In the end, Brian/Ford gave me an extended powertrain warranty for 6years/100,000miles, which is nice because I'm putting about 20k miles on per year and I was worried about getting off warranty.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, contacting the Ford folks here was a good move. It simplified dealing with my dealer - not that they wouldn't have given me a tech to drive around with, but I didn't have to deal with it. And in the end I got a warranty extension that was worth some $ and peace of mind.

gk
Did they explain what the grinding was and why one should consider grinding noise from a transmission normal?
jdetzel is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #1585
.Leda
Focus Rookie
 
.Leda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 103845
Location: Seattle, WA
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL Sedan

Posts: 16
FF Reputation: 1 .Leda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Leda View Post

Thank you. I did and here's what it listed:

12S29 - PASSENGER SIDE WIPER MOTOR ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR INSPECTION AND REPAIR
12B37 - , AND THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE

Awesome to know that it is included. I should make an appointment soon to have these issues fixed! I didn't know of that website so thank you so much!!! I love my Focus and want it to last as long as possible. It is the best car I've had yet.
I had both of the issues fixed yesterday however the 12B37 fix did not seem to correct the problem I am having with the shudder almost-stalling when starting from a stop. Overall the car seems to be shifting gears quieter and smoother but the problem is still there from going from 1st to 2nd, and it did not do this until earlier in the week. [I've had the car 2 months and bought it used]

I am still concerned about this and I can't even beat anyone off the line anymore [just kidding, I didn't do that a lot but when I did it was great!]

I sent PM to the kind Crystal from Ford so hopefully that will help.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus SEL Sedan in Oxford White
302A, moonroof

wishlist: tinted windows, polished silver wheels
.Leda is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #1586
RFrench6646
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
RFrench6646's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101073
Location: Gloucester, VA
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Sonic Blue, Hatchback

Posts: 41
FF Reputation: 1 RFrench6646 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Geez, Hoping they get the issues straight!

I stay up with these posts, as I am leary of the longevity of the DCT. Mine started out with the shudder, got better, then started shuddering (a little) again. Other than that, no issues. I can manually outshift, and beat a '94 Mustang GT. And still get 36MPG's. The Sony stereo is awesome, and I still love this car, but, and this is important, I am praying that Ford gets a grip on these complaints, figures out what's wrong, & right, and can make these rides into what they should be. I traded a Honda to get one of these. I had rented a Focus for a week before I decided to buy. I found the rental to be Far Superior to the Honda in Ride, Fit, and comfort. Now that I bought, I still am happy with all of the above, but am apprehensive on the longevity of it. Listen up Ford, this is a car we are wanting, we just need to know we can count on it!
RFrench6646 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #1587
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Fan#: 83605
Location: Northern, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

Posts: 324
FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The DCT issues are what prompted me to get an extended powertrain warranty. Yes, it may be a waste in the end (if i don't need/use it), but it could save my butt if I do (it only cost me about $600--and a new transmission alone would be more than that, even a rebuilt trans). But I only plan to keep the car for about 6 years or 100k, whichever one comes first.

But as I had posted in another area, I'm starting to think that some of the issues people experience may be related to their driving habits. The DCT does operate differently than a standard automatic, and thus you don't get the same smooth shifting every time. If you drive aggressively, the DCT will shift quicker, but probably not as smoothly. At least, that's what I have found from doing little experiments on my own after the last reprogramming of the PCM. But, there still is room for improvement by Ford as well. I just also read a MotorTrend review on the Dodge Dart which also has a DCT and they had noted that it was quite smooth in operation--smoother than the Focus, in their review. So it makes me wonder what Dodge did that Ford did. Sometimes, being the first one out the door with new technology (or newer technology since VW uses DCTs and DSGs), isn't always the best.
__________________
2012 Focus SE Hatchback
Ingot Silver
SE Sport & Winter Packages
sirhawkeye is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #1588
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Fan#: 83605
Location: Northern, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

Posts: 324
FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrench6646 View Post
I stay up with these posts, as I am leary of the longevity of the DCT. Mine started out with the shudder, got better, then started shuddering (a little) again. Other than that, no issues. I can manually outshift, and beat a '94 Mustang GT. And still get 36MPG's. The Sony stereo is awesome, and I still love this car, but, and this is important, I am praying that Ford gets a grip on these complaints, figures out what's wrong, & right, and can make these rides into what they should be. I traded a Honda to get one of these. I had rented a Focus for a week before I decided to buy. I found the rental to be Far Superior to the Honda in Ride, Fit, and comfort. Now that I bought, I still am happy with all of the above, but am apprehensive on the longevity of it. Listen up Ford, this is a car we are wanting, we just need to know we can count on it!
If you're really concerned about the trans, ask your dealer to check it over (again, if needed). If you're not satisfied there, get in contact with FordCustomerService. They can at least get your concern addressed. As for mine, they said they found nothing wrong. People do also need to remember that these transmission do adjust themselves to people's driving habits. I didn't really think much about this until recently when I tried to change my driving habits, and I noticed that some of my issues with the DCT seemed to fade away. Not lying. I used to drive somewhat aggressively (quick stops, or not stopping completely at stop signs--the rolling stop), and that caused the car to shift erratically. But I found when I do come to a complete stop, wait a second, and then go, the car seems to do better at accelerating and upshifting from a stop. Still not 100% smooth as I'd like, but way better than it was before with the way I was driving before.

Before, the car would shake violently during acceleration (sort of a hopping feeling in the car), but now I sort of let the clutches "catch up" by waiting an extra second or so at a stop sign or light. The car does still shutter a little on start-up fro ma dead stop, but this I can live with (it's not ideal to me, but manageable). Just not the hopping/violent vibrations.
__________________
2012 Focus SE Hatchback
Ingot Silver
SE Sport & Winter Packages
sirhawkeye is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #1589
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Fan#: 83605
Location: Northern, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

Posts: 324
FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Leda View Post
I had both of the issues fixed yesterday however the 12B37 fix did not seem to correct the problem I am having with the shudder almost-stalling when starting from a stop. Overall the car seems to be shifting gears quieter and smoother but the problem is still there from going from 1st to 2nd, and it did not do this until earlier in the week. [I've had the car 2 months and bought it used]

I am still concerned about this and I can't even beat anyone off the line anymore [just kidding, I didn't do that a lot but when I did it was great!]

I sent PM to the kind Crystal from Ford so hopefully that will help.
At stop signs/lights, do you come to a complete stop? When you accelerate, do you mash on the gas, or do you do a slower acceleration? I found with mine (As mentioned in another reply) that they do shutter on startup even after the fixes, but I got my car to pretty much stop the stalling/vibration you're describing by adjusting how I accelerate.
__________________
2012 Focus SE Hatchback
Ingot Silver
SE Sport & Winter Packages
sirhawkeye is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #1590
dsuaves
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97419
Location: CLARKSVILLE, TN
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow blaze Focus Titanium

Posts: 19
FF Reputation: 1 dsuaves Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i had mine serviced they replaced the clutches and seals and now when i place the car in drive it wont even move car has been in the shop almost 3 weeks now
dsuaves is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.