DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 157 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #1561
.Leda
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103845
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 .Leda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Go to etis.ford.com. Under the "vehicle" section input your VIN. This should at least tell you if FSA 12b37 is available for your car. This is the software update that did the most good for the most people. Good luck! They are great cars; you just have to get through this quirk.

Thank you. I did and here's what it listed:

12S29 - PASSENGER SIDE WIPER MOTOR ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR INSPECTION AND REPAIR
12B37 - , AND THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE

Awesome to know that it is included. I should make an appointment soon to have these issues fixed! I didn't know of that website so thank you so much!!! I love my Focus and want it to last as long as possible. It is the best car I've had yet.

wishlist: tinted windows, polished silver wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #1562
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp3583 View Post
The grinding and bucking has all but stopped, there's an occasional misstep but no big deal. I'm at 2400mi and it appears the computer has figured out how to shift, I just hope there was no permanent damage.

That being said, this thing is now a pleasure to drive. It actually feels quite peppy for a little four banger, aside from the occasional extremely late shift, this thing can really get up and go. It pulls nicely on the highway even at high speed, that was a very pleasant surprise. All in all, I'm very pleased with the Focus.
At 7 months and finally reaching 2700 miles, mine still does the blender noise thing between 1->2 and 2->3 but only after the car is warm (it's never made the grindy noise while cold!). Despite the noise, which can be inconsistent while warm as well, the shifting has always been as smooth as freshly poured creamy yogurt... I hate adjectives... anyhow, I too hope there is no damage, and after third gear the car is simply perfect... it is just a noise, and if there's no damage being done then I have no complaints.

Acceleration has always been FUN. For a 4-cylinder it's got the pep of something a bit better... the engine design definitely has to do with that...

All in all, it's overall the best car I've driven...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #1563
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Leda View Post
I cannot believe there are 130 pages to look through on this topic. :O wow!

I started having problems this morning with my 2012 Focus shuddering and shaking from take off when stopped at a light or stop sign. I bought my car used a couple of months ago and it has not given me any problems until now. It has over 25k on it. It was also mfd in June/2011 so I am looking into the update as I do not know if my car has had it.

I am waiting on a call back from the dealer. I do not want to start having car problems. I really like this car.
I'd the same issue.

Mine was built 12/2011.

After 500 miles or so, "the noise" began.

Accelerating, even with gas, could be jerky and annoying.

Ever since 12B37 was applied about 1000 miles ago (May 2012) it's been a champ.

Do find etis.ford.com and put in your VIN. You probably do need 12B37 and it's well worth it. The grindy noise issue might or might not go away over time, but it's not loud but every issue I've had was fixed with that firmware release.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #1564
Doctor Drew
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82372
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr PowerShudder

FF Reputation: 1 Doctor Drew Good Standing Member
Where on the etis website would it show if the update is available? I input my VIN and under "Outstanding Field Service Actions" there is nothing listed. The car was built 5/23 of this year.

*EDIT* Reading back in the thread it was mentioned that all cars built since March should have the current software.

I only ask because at the end of an 80 mile trip tonight, my car was having a really hard time accelerating from a stop smoothly and grinding pretty bad during the 1-2, 2-3 shifts. I could hear it with the windows up and radio on.

I'm not going to say it's the end of the world just yet though, as this car is very green with now only ~270 miles. Hell, I'm still on the first tank of gas from the dealer. It was just a little disconcerting considering I haven't heard it make this noise before.

Last edited by Doctor Drew; 09-27-2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: too stupid and lazy can't read thread derp derp derp
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #1565
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Drew View Post
Where on the etis website would it show if the update is available? I input my VIN and under "Outstanding Field Service Actions" there is nothing listed. The car was built 5/23 of this year.

*EDIT* Reading back in the thread it was mentioned that all cars built since March should have the current software.

I only ask because at the end of an 80 mile trip tonight, my car was having a really hard time accelerating from a stop smoothly and grinding pretty bad during the 1-2, 2-3 shifts. I could hear it with the windows up and radio on.

I'm not going to say it's the end of the world just yet though, as this car is very green with now only ~270 miles. Hell, I'm still on the first tank of gas from the dealer. It was just a little disconcerting considering I haven't heard it make this noise before.
There is a period of time when the car is "learning" now to adjust to its clutch's unique characteristics. Ford says this adjustment period can take 1,000 miles, or even more if most driving is on the highway. After an 80 mile trip, thngs could be heat-soaked in a way the car hadn't yet experienced, which could explain the behavior.

Don't panic yet: these things are almost alive, seeming to get sick and then healing themselves. The good news is that many cases of grinding seem to be caused by transmission fluid leaking onto the the clutches. While this is not welcome, at least it's something that can be fixed. Also, the grinding you hear is reportedly a clutch, not a gear noise, so you shouldn't have visions of your transmission destroying itself.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #1566
Doctor Drew
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82372
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr PowerShudder

FF Reputation: 1 Doctor Drew Good Standing Member
Quote:

Don't panic yet: these things are almost alive, seeming to get sick and then healing themselves. The good news is that many cases of grinding seem to be caused by transmission fluid leaking onto the the clutches. While this is not welcome, at least it's something that can be fixed. Also, the grinding you hear is reportedly a clutch, not a gear noise, so you shouldn't have visions of your transmission destroying itself.
Thanks, yeah I'm not going call 911 yet as the car is so new. I still look forward to driving the thing and it's probably still the nicest car I've ever owned.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #1567
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
There is a period of time when the car is "learning" now to adjust to its clutch's unique characteristics. Ford says this adjustment period can take 1,000 miles, or even more if most driving is on the highway. After an 80 mile trip, thngs could be heat-soaked in a way the car hadn't yet experienced, which could explain the behavior.

Well, I have nearly 35k miles, so I'd hope my transmission has learned all it needs to! (Though, maybe it's better that it does keep learning - night classes, anyone?)

I fear that I have the seal issue, but my dealer is ignoring that possibility. I'm pulling the splash/aero shield from the bottom of my car and checking for the leak myself, because I don't believe my dealership did.

I was just afraid my clutch would break and, in turn, break the transmission/housing or something which could be a very expensive repair.

My roommate borrowed my car for work and said (unprovoked), "It sounds like a manual when you try to change gears without fully engaging the clutch."
Old 09-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #1568
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Well, I have nearly 35k miles, so I'd hope my transmission has learned all it needs to! (Though, maybe it's better that it does keep learning - night classes, anyone?)

I fear that I have the seal issue, but my dealer is ignoring that possibility. I'm pulling the splash/aero shield from the bottom of my car and checking for the leak myself, because I don't believe my dealership did.

I was just afraid my clutch would break and, in turn, break the transmission/housing or something which could be a very expensive repair.

My roommate borrowed my car for work and said (unprovoked), "It sounds like a manual when you try to change gears without fully engaging the clutch."

Thats exactly what I did. I took that splash cover off the bottom one day because I had dropped a small ratchet and had to retrieve it. Thats when I saw the fluid leak and knew my transmission issue had to be more than just bad 12b37 programming.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #1569
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post

precisely
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #1570
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
precisely
And then she added "Not that I've ever done that on Mike's Miata........"

ahahaha

EDIT: Ooh! One thing I was wondering - say I ignore the leaking seal issue like my dealer recommends. Won't I be low on transmission fluid at some point? o_O

Bookmarks & Social Networks