DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 154 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #1531
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Its not lugging at a steady state 40 mph and 1500 rpm. I certainly would have been in 6th as soon as possible if I had a 6MT, I was already used to shifting my 5MT into 5th as soon as possible and accelerating below 2000 most of the time in town as the car had over 235000 miles on it by the time I got my Focus. I'd put over 44000 of them on it myself.

If you're that concerned about it then either shift it manually at higher revs or give it more throttle to prevent it from sitting at that engine speed. You would pay a mileage penalty for that however as an engine that is spinning at higher rpms is using more fuel than one that isn't working as hard. At least to a certain point.
Okay devils advocate.. LOL. If I'm trapped at 40mph I can't give it more throttle. The only thing I could do is bump the gear selector into S mode so it keeps it in 5th. I don't feel I should have to do that because the transmission sounds like I'm dragging a metal garbage can lid under the car. Maybe Ford should just address the noise.

It's a personal preference then if you would choose to shift to 6th at 40mph. Most manuals have a recommended range of speed for each gear. As I said to you earlier that I guess it's possible but I personally wouldn't want the engine bogging in so low an RPM that I had zero throttle response, etc. Unless I was on the highway but then I wouldn't be at 40mph either.

The last car I ever owned that had a 6 speed Manual trans was a 2000 Camaro Z28 and I can tell ya for sure that 6th was more of an overdrive type gear for the highway (Hardly any torque for street).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #1532
Hocus_Pocus_Focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104043
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Trend PowerShift

FF Reputation: 1 Hocus_Pocus_Focus Good Standing Member
Hi, just joined,

My wife had terrible problems with a Peugeot 307 automatic. we thought that it would be best to buy her a new Ford Focus PowerShift as it just launched in Sept 2011 in South Africa. I had a few Fords myself and convinced her to go for the focus as could not image her with a broken vehicle alongside the road. This was the worst mistake we ever made!!! The first Focus she got started shuddering from day one, after a few fights, numerous emails and letters to Ford SA and 3 months later, they replaced the Focus with a Brand new one. Up until about 4 months ago the car was fine and had a few rattles and shakes, not what you would expect from a new car. Then it started to shudder to the extent that it got her so upset se bumped into a car in front of her. The car is now back at Ford, and we don’t know where to go from here. We have bought the same problem but for R280 000.00 versus a R55 000.00 Peugeot. We can’t sell the car because no one will buy a new car with a broken gearbox. What now?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #1533
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Okay devils advocate.. LOL. If I'm trapped at 40mph I can't give it more throttle. The only thing I could do is bump the gear selector into S mode so it keeps it in 5th. I don't feel I should have to do that because the transmission sounds like I'm dragging a metal garbage can lid under the car. Maybe Ford should just address the noise.

It's a personal preference then if you would choose to shift to 6th at 40mph. Most manuals have a recommended range of speed for each gear. As I said to you earlier that I guess it's possible but I personally wouldn't want the engine bogging in so low an RPM that I had zero throttle response, etc. Unless I was on the highway but then I wouldn't be at 40mph either.

The last car I ever owned that had a 6 speed Manual trans was a 2000 Camaro Z28 and I can tell ya for sure that 6th was more of an overdrive type gear for the highway (Hardly any torque for street).
Mine doesn't seem to make the same noises, and I've driven it pretty much from day one of its arrival. The only other people to drive it so far were the dealer technicians when they prepped the car or when they failed to correct an issue with the heated seats, or the tint shop. Otherwise since I have taken delivery of the car no one else drives it but me as its my car.

The car seems quite content to run at 40 mph and 1500 rpm. It pulls more slowly if you suddenly wanted to accelerate at that point if you've locked it into 6th, but when I tip into the throttle in drive or s auto it downshifts right away and goes, otherwise I'll just drop a few gears manually and get the engine spinning quicker.

The car is a bit more edgy about maintaining 35 mph in 6th at 1300 rpm, if it drops to 34 or 33 mph the car automatically drops to 5th gear and will not shift back up until the vehicle speed exceeds 35 mph. at 34 in 6th you may be bogging/lugging it, not as much at 40 at least on a road with a 40 mph limit. Obviously on an interstate if you had to slow down to 40 you may want to down shift to put the engine back closer to peak torque for accelerating as efficiently as possible.

Basically do what works for you, but you'd generally get better mileage in the higher gear at the same road speed as long as you aren't consequently damaging the power train.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #1534
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Suss,

Did you have the 12b37 recall applied to your car or still on the previous programming? I recall prior to the 12b37 programming my DCT seemed to be way more responsive to throttle angle. It would downshift and upshift appropriately but now it' just seems so hesitant to downshift and way to eager to upshift.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #1535
YesMAN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102901
What I Drive: '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 YesMAN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The car seems quite content to run at 40 mph and 1500 rpm. It pulls more slowly if you suddenly wanted to accelerate at that point if you've locked it into 6th, but when I tip into the throttle in drive or s auto it downshifts right away and goes, otherwise I'll just drop a few gears manually and get the engine spinning quicker.
Yes there's a 3-4 degree uphill grade in a construction zone I go through every morning, usually between 35 and 40 mph. I'm usually in 6th because I force it there and have no problem maintaining speed up the grade, or even accelerating very slightly. Which is why I was curious in the first place. Engine sounds better in that condition than in the second or two after I gun it in 6th on a flat road but before the tranny downshifts.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #1536
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Got a call today from the Service lady. Told me they were still working on it and that they were hoping for tomorrow to have it completed and she would give me a call with another status tomorow. I told her I was curious as to what the tech found once he had a chance to tear into it, Did it in fact have a real problem with the seals to which she responded. Yes!. The fluid I saw was in fact coming from those faulty seals. I asked if the Clutches needed to be replaced as well and she said Yes that was the source of all the noise I was hearing.

So you guys are correct. There should be no issue with 6th and 40mph as long as your clutches are still working correctly.

I told them to please let the tech know I am more than happy to drive the rental if they need another day to please not rush on my account. I would rather put up with the rental which by the way is HORRIBLE!. LOL. A 4 door Plain Jane Toyota Yaris. Compliments of Enterprise. Anyhow, Yeah I'll deal with the rental as long as they fix my car correctly!.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #1537
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
That's good news ... congrats! I bet you're stoked to get 'er back and see how it acts when all is right.
Hatch Nation #174
Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #1538
nick625
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102649
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 nick625 Good Standing Member
Improved transmission performance

I have a 2012 SEL made in 6/12 and purchased just six weeks ago. Soon after I bought it I noticed all of the performace issues discussed here (lugging, hard shifts, etc.) and posted about it here. I now have around 2,700 miles on it and it greatly improved. Much smoother. I think I read somewhere that the adaptive learning system does whatever it does at around 2,200 miles. I don't know if that is true but for mine it seems so. Just wanted to share my experience here.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #1539
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey everyone!

Reminder: if you haven't reached out to me already and you're experiencing transmission issues, please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, dealer, and phone number. I want to get each of you escalated so we can get these concerns addressed pronto.

Thanks, everyone. Have a great weekend.

-Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #1540
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey everyone!

Reminder: if you haven't reached out to me already and you're experiencing transmission issues, please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, dealer, and phone number. I want to get each of you escalated so we can get these concerns addressed pronto.

Thanks, everyone. Have a great weekend.

-Crystal
I highly recommend doing this. Crystal & ford got my issue pushed w/ my local dealer without me having to try to convince them to look at it. I have an appointment for wednesday and we'll see what happens.

Still, though, instead of complaining, get in touch with her and work on getting it sorted.

Bookmarks & Social Networks