DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 152 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #1511
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

Points 156, Level 3
Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Yes, the "adaptive learning" is clearly spelled out in the service manual (this information has already been posted several times):

Adaptation of the following is performed:

•Clutch engagement points
•Clutch friction coefficient
•Individual positions of the synchronizer assembly
(i.e. correct shift drum positioning)

From the TSB that you posted:

THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY.

As you can see, the TCM "learns" and adjusts for mechanical tolerances of the clutch and transmission assemblies.
Whatever it is supposed to learn at 2300 miles mine has still not learned. Apparently from the size of this thread many others have not as well.
Ford knows this or they would not keep releasing programing updates to try and FIX it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #1512
peppersmum
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98989
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback SE Red Candy

Points 43, Level 1
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 peppersmum Good Standing Member
I feel blessed - bought mine in May and have 2200 km and it is shifting flawlessly now.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #1513
hoover460
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92046
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

Points 78, Level 1
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 hoover460 Good Standing Member
Ok, some background first, May 2011 build, no updates performed to transmission currently, and so far I have loved it. However, I have begun to experience some "bucking" only during the upshift to 4th. Doesn't seem to matter whether I'm on the throttle hard or not. I finally got the recall/technical program letter in the mail, and have scheduled to have it done. Just wondering if anyone else had something similar and if the update helped. FWIW I still love the trans, and am hoping the update improves the "S" mode as some on here have experienced.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #1514
dsuaves
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97419
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow blaze Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 dsuaves Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover460 View Post
Ok, some background first, May 2011 build, no updates performed to transmission currently, and so far I have loved it. However, I have begun to experience some "bucking" only during the upshift to 4th. Doesn't seem to matter whether I'm on the throttle hard or not. I finally got the recall/technical program letter in the mail, and have scheduled to have it done. Just wondering if anyone else had something similar and if the update helped. FWIW I still love the trans, and am hoping the update improves the "S" mode as some on here have experienced.
this is my experience except i have a nov 11 build with 16000 miles and have only recently started experiencing bucking it seems if i don't accelerate the car just cant shift properly
oh and i was posting that tsb because it seemed there was a argument over whether or not the car did that
Old 09-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #1515
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,792, Level 32
Points: 2,792, Level: 32 Points: 2,792, Level: 32 Points: 2,792, Level: 32
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 11 PratoN Great Standing Member
Just wanted to throw this in here in case anyone is subscribed. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...9&postcount=81
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #1516
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Whatever it is supposed to learn at 2300 miles mine has still not learned. Apparently from the size of this thread many others have not as well.
Ford knows this or they would not keep releasing programing updates to try and FIX it.
I'd like to know if this "adaptive learning" is hardware + software, or if this is just software in the PCM. Whatever it is, one of these pieces is broken. If I can disconnect and reconnect my battery, and the bucking/slipping/slamming into gear goes away until this thing "re-learns" again, there HAS to be an issue with the adaptive learning itself.
That's not to say there aren't problems with the transmission still, because I think there area, but nobody seems to be pointing to this "Adaptive Learning" thing as the root cause....and I'm thinking it has to be, what with what I just described with the battery pull.

I took my car into the dealer this past week for the transmission acting up....after searching the system for updates, checking the transmission for leaking fluid, I was told that what I was experiencing (bucking/jumping/slipping) may just be "normal behavior of the dual clutch transmission"....that was straight from the Ford technicians mouth. Yeah...ummm, ok.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #1517
dsuaves
Focus Rookie

currently my car has been in the shop since last week. apparently something was wrong with the clutches so they are being replaced when i get the finalized work order i will posted here to see what exactly it was i was told the transmission was leaking but the car has 17000miles is this normal? well see patiently waiting enduring life without a car
Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #1518
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuaves View Post
currently my car has been in the shop since last week. apparently something was wrong with the clutches so they are being replaced when i get the finalized work order i will posted here to see what exactly it was i was told the transmission was leaking but the car has 17000miles is this normal? well see patiently waiting enduring life without a car
It is unusual but if there was a leak, you want to get it fixed. If it is going to be in the service dept for a while, did you ask for a complimentary loaner or a rental?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #1519
dsuaves
Focus Rookie

yeah theyre looking at it i just wanna see what the work order says i didnt as i live 5 mins from work and have acces to another vehicle however the longer they have it the more i worry what if it was my only vehicle or what if the same situation happens to someone else
Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #1520
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuaves View Post
yeah theyre looking at it i just wanna see what the work order says i didnt as i live 5 mins from work and have acces to another vehicle however the longer they have it the more i worry what if it was my only vehicle or what if the same situation happens to someone else
I hear you but your main concern should be that it is fixed properly. If possible, get to know the tech working on it. Ask questions to learn more about the DCT. I have an excellent relationship with my tech. He services my 11 Fiesta SES and my wife's 12 Focus Ti.

I plan to continue to let him service my Focus ST once I have it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks