DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 151 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #1501
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
How do you know for sure? Ford's 6F35 does.

"Ford’s 6F35 also has six available final drive gear ratios and utilizes adaptive learning algorithms to make the transmission “customizable” to individual vehicles for a more dynamic driving experience and improved mpg.
That's not what it says. To individual vehicles. It's learning how best to operate itself, not how you operate it. This "it learns how you drive" rumor sprang up a while ago from a misunderstanding and people have just kept on perpetuating it.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #1502
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodabear View Post
I feel your pain here, I have a little over 500 miles I do think it is shifting better but How disappointing is it to buy a new car and have a dealer not mention that this car is different. I read about it but I guess not enough. When both my husband and I test drove it we didnt notice it doing at that time either. I find I noticed it after I drove it for a longer periods of time. I have found Ford has not been easy to work with.My dealer treats me like I'm Mindless and am such a pain. I am keeping this car for now because I have to. I guess all the dealer had to say was this car will drive a little different because of the DCT. When I take it back to them then they tell me EVERYONE brings it back and says that. YOU just need to drive it 1000 miles. WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME THESE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. (my dealership said they dont work on commission,why cant people just be honest) I probably would have bought something else on the lot.
Or to say "Just drive it like an automatic" to then be surprised by everything, go to the dealer mechanic, and he states in return to drive it like a manual and give it more gas.

Whether there is deliberate deception, I don't know. Probably not, but there certainly is a communication problem between both divisions.

I don't know... the next we know, some parrot will say "You should have been informed in the first place" -- as if only the buyer has a responsibility to know the entire knowledge of the universe beforehand, and never once ever the seller, for which if they never did the oversight or whatever then the customer wouldn't get upset to begin with... Still, even Ms Cleo couldn't foresee everything... Not that I'm comparing Ford to her caper, but some would defend her over her clients, despite her deliberately engaging in an illegal act, saying the consumer is supposed to know all...
Old 09-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #1503
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
I think mine may have a learning disability. If it is learning how I drive, after 2300 miles it still has not learned that I do not up shift into 3rd gear halfway through a right turn or that when I accelerate from 20 mph I shift from 4th to a lower gear.

It seems from reading this thread that there are quite a few people who think their transmission works fine and there are also quite a few who do not think so. I am one of the latter. I have been driving for 40 years and I am an avid car fan. I work in the automotive industry and I know how a car should work. I have one that does not work as well as it should.

I have learned from reading this thread that I do not need to take it back to the dealer because Ford has not figured out how to fix it yet. That is why people report that they are getting stonewalled by the dealer. It is not the dealers fault they would fix the car id they could (that is what they do) they just need the manufacturer to tell them how. I believe they know something is wrong because they have already tried once to correct it with a software or firmware update. Mine was built 6/12 so it has the latest programing. There seem to be enough people who do not think there is a problem that I also believe that Ford did not knowingly release an inferior product. But they know about it now, so I wish they would get on the stick and figure it out!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #1504
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
That's not what it says. To individual vehicles. It's learning how best to operate itself, not how you operate it. This "it learns how you drive" rumor sprang up a while ago from a misunderstanding and people have just kept on perpetuating it.
Fair enough. Try this one:

Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)
What it is: The Adaptive Transmission Control system recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly. Two types of ATC are adaptive shift-scheduling and adaptive shift-quality control. Adaptive shift scheduling uses information to assess driving style and decides when to upshift or downshift. It also can identify uphill or downhill gradients and recognize hard cornering. This helps inhibit shifts that might be annoying to the driver or affect vehicle stability. Adaptive shift-quality control uses information about the vehicle or environment, such as changes in the transmission due to wear, to improve the quality of shifts. This system can also adjust shift smoothness to suit driving style (e.g., crisper shifts for aggressive driving or smoother shifts for normal driving). How it works: Adaptive Shift Scheduling uses a microprocessor to read signals from various sensors. It uses a complex algorithm and ongoing memory to decide when to shift. For example, high lateral acceleration during cornering may prevent shifting even if the accelerator is suddenly depressed or released. This helps avoid potential loss of tire grip due to load reversal. Shift points can be based on calibration curves in memory. Adaptive shift-quality control adjusts parameters that affect the speed and smoothness of the shift by interpreting data, including driveline feedback from various sensors, as well as post shift parameters. Customer benefit: Improves shift consistency and transmission durability and allows for shifting that is better suited to specific driver styles or operating conditions. Ford status: Available on many North American vehicles.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...rticle_id=2574
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #1505
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Fair enough. Try this one:
This has been discussed to death in other threads already. I'm not going tit for tat with you on it.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #1506
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
This has been discussed to death in other threads already. I'm not going tit for tat with you on it.
Yeah it's been discussed to death but no one to my knowledge has been able to prove with something from Ford that the Focus does or does not have Ford's Adaptive Transmission Control. Everyone is just stating their own opinions as fact. Pretty widespread on this forum.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #1507
Superd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87917
What I Drive: '12 candy red titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Superd Good Standing Member
I for a fact know that the focus might have an adaptive learning dct,maybe.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #1508
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superd View Post
I for a fact know that the focus might have an adaptive learning dct,maybe.
Exactly!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #1509
dsuaves
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97419
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow blaze Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 dsuaves Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
TSB
11-10-2•CALIBRATION UPDATE - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION/ENGINE DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS, AMBIENT TEMPERATURE DISPLAY - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/12/2011
Publication Date: October 2, 2011
FORD:2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSBs 11-5-11, 11-7-22 and 11-9-5 to consolidate previously released articles, updated Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.
ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/12/2011 may exhibit the following engine drivability and/or automatic transmission concerns; RPM flare on deceleration coming to a stop, rough idle on deceleration coming to a stop, intermittent engine idle fluctuations at a stop, intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative, intermittent harsh engagement/shift, engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults and intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) diagnostic procedures. The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F or P2877. The vehicle may also exhibit intermittent false initialization to 21 C (70 F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
2.Perform Transmission Adaptive Learning. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 307-01 General Procedures.

NOTE:REPROGRAMMING PCM AND TCM WITH LOW VEHICLE BATTERY VOLTAGE AND/OR LOW IDS BATTERY VOLTAGE MAY RESULT IN A BLANKED PCM AND/OR TCM.

NOTE:THE PCM AND TCM ARE A MATCHED SET. PROGRAMMING THE PCM WILL AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THE TCM.

NOTE:PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME111002A2012 Focus Automatic Transmission (DPS6): Reprogram The PCM And TCM Includes Time To Perform Adaptive Learning And Drive Cycle (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.1 Hrs.
found this pretty much says it does have adaptives
Old 09-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #1510
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuaves View Post
found this pretty much says it does have adaptives
Yes, the "adaptive learning" is clearly spelled out in the service manual (this information has already been posted several times):

Adaptation of the following is performed:

•Clutch engagement points
•Clutch friction coefficient
•Individual positions of the synchronizer assembly
(i.e. correct shift drum positioning)

From the TSB that you posted:

THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY.

As you can see, the TCM "learns" and adjusts for mechanical tolerances of the clutch and transmission assemblies.

Bookmarks & Social Networks