DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 149 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #1481
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88103
What I Drive: 2014 ST3

FF Reputation: 3 underbird10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
After the latest update (12B37, I think), I was totally disappointed also. Hard shifts, erratic shifts, slow downshifts, jerking, and general driveability issues. I disconnected the battery to reset everything to learning mode and just drove it (with all these issues happening periodically) for 500 miles. It is now buttery smooth. Upshifts, downshifts, Full stop and go, turning a corner at 10MPH and giving it 30% throttle, downshifts from 6th uphill, are all working just like a torque-converter tranny. I am pleased.

16,594 miles to date. Parked my 06 Mustang GT for the Focus. It's a fun car to drive. Oh, and I got an MPG increase by 1.4 from the old software.

My other rides -2006 Performance White Mustang GT Coupe, 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Mustang Coupe, 2013 Edge Limited

Last edited by underbird10; 08-22-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #1482
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88103
What I Drive: 2014 ST3

FF Reputation: 3 underbird10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by underbird10 View Post
After the latest update (12B37, I think), I was totally disappointed also. Hard shifts, erratic shifts, slow downshifts, jerking, and general driveability issues. I disconnected the battery to reset everything to learning mode and just drove it (with all these issues happening periodically) for 500 miles. It is now buttery smooth. Upshifts, downshifts, Full stop and go, turning a corner at 10MPH and giving it 30% throttle, downshifts from 6th uphill, are all working just like a torque-converter tranny. I am pleased.

16,594 miles to date. Parked my 06 Mustang GT for the Focus. It's a fun car to drive. Oh, and I got an MPG increase by 1.4 from the old software.
No, it's not 12B37, but it was the latest build as of May-June 2012.

My other rides -2006 Performance White Mustang GT Coupe, 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Mustang Coupe, 2013 Edge Limited
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #1483
Moodabear
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103183
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Moodabear Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just bought my Ford Focus Test drove it and it was wonderful. Brought it home and then after I drove it awhile I started hearing the grinding (Chatter) noises in first and second gears. I have also noticed after it warms up going up hills it does its chatter noise more and doesnt seem to have the power. Taking off too I have more shuttering ,Its has almost 400 miles. Took it to dealer kept saying this is normal but I DONT know about the going up hill after its warmed up why is does it seem so chuggy. My question out there to all you experts will this get better or do I need to take it back in???? It was built in July of this year. Help !!!!! I am scared to drive this car.My dealership doesnt offer the most help either.

Last edited by Moodabear; 08-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #1484
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
I would drive it some more. Sounds about like mine was when I first got it. For a while I was scared to pull out in front of traffic. I have just over 2000 miles now and it is much better. Try driving is sport mode, it is more likey to be in the right gear and it seems to downshift a bit easier.
Probably the reason you feel the lack of power is because it is in the wrong gear and the transmission does not downshift like you would expect from an automatic. This has been one of my pet peeves from the start - you get into a situation where you are going 20 mph you are in 4th or 5th gear (say coasting up to a redlight getting ready to stop and the light turns green), you try to accelerate and the transmission cannot figure out it needs to downshift.
The jerking or chatter will subside and the unwillingness to downshift will lessen.
Ford sells this as an automatic and one expects it to act like an automatic. The thing is, it is not, it is an automatically controlled manual transmission and it does not perform the way a person of reasonable intelligence would expect from an automatic transmission.
The way I came to terms with the performance is I started thinking of how the car would feel if it were in fact a manual transmission and I was changing the gears myself. Some of the jerks became more understandable. Not that I drive a manual that poorly but is just started to make more sense.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #1485
Moodabear
Focus Rookie

Thanks for letting me knowI greatly appreciate it, I will keep driving. One other question anyone hear a thud coming from the back of the car when just inserting the key. It dont do it everytime but passenger said they could feel the thud on that side. I Once again discussed this with the dealer mechanic he said "Not sure what that is but shouldnt be hurting anything.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #1486
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodabear View Post
Thanks for letting me knowI greatly appreciate it, I will keep driving. One other question anyone hear a thud coming from the back of the car when just inserting the key. It dont do it everytime but passenger said they could feel the thud on that side. I Once again discussed this with the dealer mechanic he said "Not sure what that is but shouldnt be hurting anything.
Likely the fuel pump priming.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #1487
Moodabear
Focus Rookie

Thank you makes me feel alot better.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #1488
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Mine makes that "thud" when I push the start button. Forgot to ask them to diagnose it when I took it in for the grille shutter recall. I've learned to ignore it.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #1489
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Tell that to my car...it would hesitate to downshift and just be bogged down for a good 5 seconds.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #1490
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
I did do a few, several in fact. The little car moves out very well by the way. And as I as skeptical as I am about that sort of thing, I would almost have to say I think it may have helped.
But maybe one should also say wait until you are past the 1000 mile unofficial break-in period.

Bookmarks & Social Networks