DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 147 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #1461
Gary_C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95312
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gary_C Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
My feeble brain is still smarter than any software programming Ford has to offer with this vehicle to date.
I'd be ecstatic if they left the computer control castrated in S mode, and just have selectshift as its option only.
Agreed. I have been driving the past 2 days in Sport mode exclusivly and it is great. I am not saying i am driving it like a sprorts car, just shifting it manually and guess what? i went from 27mpg around town to 36.4 mpg.
I would be real happy if it had paddle shift or even put the select button(S) on the steering wheel.

Hopefully Ford gets the software straightened out because current version sucks bad!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #1462
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
A now departed Honda Fit had the paddle shifters on the wheel, and it was a really handy feature.
I may go to the manual shifting if the dealer can't find any solutions for mine.
Moon
Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #1463
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102640
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
Hi, FWIW I just got an SE - made on July 11 - with the regular auto (non-sport), and it works very well, except for some brief jigglies on start up and first accel. I would think that the programming "in Drive" (i.e. grandma mode) is the same for sport and non-sport models?

I thought I would miss the sport mode, but I've found that dropping it into "L" just before a turn actually works quite nicely for downshifting! (I'm hoping a little more aggressive break-in will tame the cold jiggle too.)

Good luck, so you can enjoy your beasts to the fullest!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #1464
nick625
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102649
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 nick625 Good Standing Member
I have a 2012 Focus made in 6/12. How can I tell if it has the latest transmission software update?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #1465
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Just had my first experience with the DCT in a rental 2013 SE with Sport Package. Car is brand new, I was the first one to rent it with 7 miles on it. So far I've put just over 200 miles on it, and see no issues whatsoever with the transmission. Shifts are silky smooth, I've heard no clutch clanging or any other noise.

Either I managed to score the only one that was built right or some people are exaggerating their "issues" with the DCT.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #1466
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
No, your rental Focus was normal, and then same as I have experienced as normal operation with the ones I have driven.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #1467
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Just had my first experience with the DCT in a rental 2013 SE with Sport Package. Car is brand new, I was the first one to rent it with 7 miles on it. So far I've put just over 200 miles on it, and see no issues whatsoever with the transmission. Shifts are silky smooth, I've heard no clutch clanging or any other noise.

Either I managed to score the only one that was built right or some people are exaggerating their "issues" with the DCT.
Don't think anyone said no DCTs worked correctly. But do keep in mind that many of us that have older cars have lived through real issues and several software upgrades, upgrades that Ford released because there were real issues. And I bet Ford isn't done yet.

Ford is making progress, but it still isn't quite right, frustrating the beejesus out of many of us that have been living with the product for a while. Personal examples: 1) post 12b37 the clutch seems to repeatedly disengage for a split second when using cruise control 2) my DCT has decided it will now have very harsh shifts between 4th and 5th. These are not big issues in themselves, but do make some of us wonder if the thing will ever be right. And stay that way.

Buy one with a DCT. Maybe yours will behave perfectly forever. Or maybe not. More than any component in any mass-produced car, I maintain the DCT is still a crapshoot.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #1468
Gary_C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95312
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gary_C Good Standing Member
Quote:

My biggest complaint is that i use the car for commuting which is the reason to buy an econobox. I live in central NJ where traffic is heavy almost all the time. My commute is 20 minutes in 25 mph traffic which is stop and go. On and off the go pedal more than most folks would think to be normal. Most folks think that if you drive in NJ you are crazy to begin with but,,, it is what it is. The car should be able to adapt. The software is not compatable with this type of driving. It is downright scary when you have a spot to accelerate to left turn in traffic, and the car hessitates for what seems like 2 seconds. I know it is much shorter of a time frame but it seems like an eternity so,,,,, you wait for a bigger opening to turn left. meanwhile everyone behind you is honking at you thinking you are scared to drive and why are you not pulling into traffic. Well, they are right. this trans is scary if you have to suddenly turn left into oncoming traffic and it goes no where. The Sport mode takes ALL these problems away so why cant a simple programer get it right??? The car has 1, speedometer , 2, tachometer, 3 manifold pressure sensor, 4 throttle possition sensor. With just those 4 items 20 years ago engineers could make a transmission do whatever was needed. Ford needs to really think about this and get it right. Oh, my car has under 5,000 miles on it and has had the Driveability (not recall) upgrade.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #1469
nick625
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102649
What I Drive: 2012 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 nick625 Good Standing Member
Gary,

I just bought a 2012 made in 6/12. I'm having the same issues. How can I know if my car already has the Driveability upgrade installed?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #1470
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:

I was saying the same thing in my first few hundred miles from purchase. And then.......

Bookmarks & Social Networks