DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 144 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #1431
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
Good luck getting that on a trade in.

Have you given the dealership an opportunity to fix the car? Or do you just let people here know that you hate your Focus? My advice is keep taking it into the dealer until it a) gets fixed, or b) gets lemon lawed.

As many problems as I have had, I am certain the Focus is the best small car you can buy.
There's a pretty big gap between things Ford can fix and a lemon law buyback. Unfortunately, that's where many of us are: a car that gets us from point a to point b, but with manners and characteristics really unbecoming a 2012 automobile.

I don't know why it's so hard for some in this community to understand that the occasional "lemon" will roll off the production line or that some examples have issues that have not yet been completely resolved. The Focus has wonderful strengths; unfortunately it also has remarkable problem areas for some. And please, this is not a user perception issue, there were/are/will be real problems.

I've bought lots of new Fords, researched the Focus thoroughly and test-drove 3: this thing is still a major disappointment.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #1432
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
There's a pretty big gap between things Ford can fix and a lemon law buyback. Unfortunately, that's where many of us are: a car that gets us from point a to point b, but with manners and characteristics really unbecoming a 2012 automobile.

I don't know why it's so hard for some in this community to understand that the occasional "lemon" will roll off the production line or that some examples have issues that have not yet been completely resolved. The Focus has wonderful strengths; unfortunately it also has remarkable problem areas for some. And please, this is not a user perception issue, there were/are/will be real problems.

I've bought lots of new Fords, researched the Focus thoroughly and test-drove 3: this thing is still a major disappointment.
I know its not a user perception issue. If you read back in the thread, I've had clutches replaced. The point is, keep taking it to the dealer until its fixed. If it doesn't get fixed, that is Fords problem. You have a warranty for a reason. Make the fix it, I certainly have. I've gone down the lemon law rout and settled as well. If you don't advocate for yourself, no one will.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #1433
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_C View Post
Voldar can post whatever and i am getting sensored by a moderator. Voldar must be the voice of FORD for thier F'up. But what the hell,, this is not as free of a country as you think it is.
It is the first time I am called "the voice" of something. May I change your "FORD" with "rational being" ? It would be closer to reality.

P.S. I know that some people imagine things starting with a certain age, but I would like to know if you hear voices too ? Because your "this is not as free of a country as you think it is" make me think of deeper problems than a simple DCT frustration on a Focus Fanatics forum.

P.P.S. After a second thought, I decided I don't want to know anymore if you hear voices. Best of luck to you and with your trade in.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #1434
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Quote:
The point is, keep taking it to the dealer until its fixed. If it doesn't get fixed, that is Fords problem.
Um, that's not only Ford's problem, that's the owner's issue as well. You're still left with a car that needs fixing. I don't know about you, but I find it is a huge disruption to my life to keep having to take my car into the dealership all the freaking time.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #1435
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

Points 659, Level 13
Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13 Points: 659, Level: 13
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
It is obvious that Ford has made a huge mistake. Every one of these cars should be purchased back or at the very least, swap in a trans and torque converter that works.
I had the Drivability Upgrade and it is now worse than ever. Diferent symptoms. My driveway is on a slight incline and i fear that one time i am going to drive through the house it is so bad. I tried to accelerate onto the highway today and just got a huge bog until it finally downshifted by 3 gears, which had the motor almost redline. What a piece of crap this car is. I will be trading it in by the end of the month. Hopefully the dodge dealer doesn't know what a POS it is and i won't loose too much money on the trade.
My car works great, so speak for yourself. And yes, I were you I'd trade it in and move on with my life. And good luck with your Dodge, they are known for quality!!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #1436
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
I know its not a user perception issue. If you read back in the thread, I've had clutches replaced. The point is, keep taking it to the dealer until its fixed. If it doesn't get fixed, that is Fords problem. You have a warranty for a reason. Make the fix it, I certainly have. I've gone down the lemon law rout and settled as well. If you don't advocate for yourself, no one will.
I agree that's the right approach. The problem with this particular model is that I'm not quite sure Ford knows what to do. Maybe they'll get there eventually, but in the meantime owners with troublesome cars are in a lousy situation.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #1437
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Um, that's not only Ford's problem, that's the owner's issue as well. You're still left with a car that needs fixing. I don't know about you, but I find it is a huge disruption to my life to keep having to take my car into the dealership all the freaking time.
No, its their problem. If its not, you have to make it thier problem. Its under warranty, they should be paying for a rental car. Take it to the dealership and tell them you don't want it back unless its fixed. When they say its done, test drive it, and bring it back if you think its not fixed. If they won't do it, call the Ford CRC.

I agree that it is a huge disruption in everyday life. However, a temporary disruption is better than a car that doesn't get fixed because of said disruption. There are plenty of people that have had thier transmissions fixed, me included. Ford does have the ability to fix your transmission problem, unless you don't like the notchiness compared to a tranditional manual.

Last edited by bball40dtw; 08-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #1438
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,449, Level 52
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
I will take the hit with my NEW car that has ONLY 5000 miles on it.
Kelly Blue book shows that in perfect condition which it is in, it is worth 19,750.00....... SO a 6K hit to drive this POS for 6 months.
This is the first ford i have owned in 52 years and it will be the last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp3583 View Post
I've taken my last hit for Ford, it seems that's all I've ever done. Ford was much more appealing since they didn't take the bailout. I have no interest in any Government Motors vehicle.

I honestly hope your blind defense of a car you obviously like does not bite you in the rear if you keep it for any length of time. It seems these vehicles will hold together just long enough for your warranty to run out, and if it's not already been addressed by recall then you're screwed.

Bottom line the damage being done currently is irreversible, if I drove a manual like this it wouldn't make it past 5 years. There may as well be a drunk monkey under the hood randomly mashing gears.
Can I make a sincere suggestion to you guys? Instead of rashly trading your cars in and losing thousands, try the following:

Short Term: Try driving your cars agressively over the next couple hundred miles (forget about fuel mileage over the next tank or two), and even try to work in a few successive 0-60 hard accelerations on a country road somewhere. That was a suggestion made on here to me early on and shortly after I did it, my launch shudder went away on its own. That was the only problem I had with the DCT and I was mad about it at the time, but with that simple break in procedure I managed to solve the problem on my own. Not saying it WILL be that easy for you, but it MIGHT.

Long Term: If you're worried about the longevity of the transmission, wait until you get to just under 60,000 miles (which the tranny is covered for). Come back on this forum and see how my owners have had to have major tranny work done at 50k+ miles due to early teething problems like you guys are experiencing. If it's a significant amount, pick up the minimum extended powertrain warranty that'll cover the tranny for another 60,000 miles or whatever. It may cost you a thousand bucks, but it's better than losing $6,000 now and has the added benefit of covering the rest of the powertrain to 100k+ miles, something you wouldn't get with the car you traded your Focus in on now anyway.

FWIW, I agree with Voldar on some things but not that the DCT should be driven in a very special way. Sure, there are some nuances you can employ to minimize the problems (such as fluid accelerator motion to minimize bogging down), but it shouldn't be that way. It's just the nature of this beast.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #1439
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,449, Level 52
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
I might also post the following quotes from another gentleman who was in your shoes (mad as hell) but was eventually satisfied by Ford's "fix". The point? It is possible!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordblue View Post
The 2012 ford focus in my opinion is a junker.I am so sorry Ive bought this car. Last ford I will ever drive. you Lost another customer ford. Its a sad day when hyundai and kia blow away a ford car. Finally ford has psuedo addressed these problems. But its too little and way too late for me. I hate this car. Its too unpredictable and is a nuisance to drive. I wished it was "poof" gone. I will trade it in when I can afford it. And this time im going foriegn! Thank you ford motor company , You have destroyed any faith a whole lot of people had in you. You coulD always do what you do best.
BURY YOUR HEADS IN THE SAND!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordblue View Post
Well I got it fixed "WOW" what a difference. All that mess for that simple a fix?.Now it drives so much different. Yup im happy now. And the dealer was very nice this time. I think I raised so much stink they took real good care of me.They actually offered me a different car. swap for something else. But now Its kinda like driving a different car. Im satisfied now.Time to drink a beer guys. thank goodness this is a done deal.see you around 12 thousand miles.Ill go back to lurking.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #1440
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,658, Level 95
Points: 24,658, Level: 95 Points: 24,658, Level: 95 Points: 24,658, Level: 95
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I might also post the following quotes from another gentleman who was in your shoes (mad as hell) but was eventually satisfied by Ford's "fix". The point? It is possible!!!
This x1000
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.