DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 142 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #1411
Gary_C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95312
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gary_C Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
rp3583, next time you buy a car, test drive it and get the most of the information possible about it. I am sure you didn't do this when buying your Focus, so blame yourself for your stupidity, not everyone else.
I did test drive the car, i also did much research and found that the focus was top rated. What i should have done and will do in the future is find a complaint forum and see what owners are saying rather than consumers magazine and motor trend. All the commercial print support a product without extensive evaluation.
Lets address learning how to drive the DCT.
I drive 3 to 4 different vehicles in any given day. i shouldn't NEED to learn to drive the DCT. It should act like an automatic or a manual, either one i would be happy. The DCT has a mind of it's own and it is scary if you live in an area that is not FLAT terrrain.
Where do you live VOLDAR? i am guessing in an area of flat terrain.
I don't consider myself to be stupid, nor everyone else who is having an issue.
By calling people stupid you are only showing your immaturity and narrow mindedness.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #1412
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp3583 View Post
If I wanted my car to drive like a manual I would have bought one, as a matter of fact, I wanted a real manual but of course you cant get the one in anything but the stripped down model. Unless you live in a different country.

All you have is a gas pedal, you're at the mercy of the computer to shift properly. Acceleration is completely unpredictable. Sport mode with the shifter is a joke, manually shifting takes over a second to respond.

Driving this car is like perpetually riding shotgun with a kid who has no idea how to drive a stick and never will learn. All you can do is say go (hit the gas) and find something to hang on to while it bucks and grinds through the first 3-4 gears.

This is by far the worst car I have ever driven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_C View Post
I did test drive the car, i also did much research and found that the focus was top rated. What i should have done and will do in the future is find a complaint forum and see what owners are saying rather than consumers magazine and motor trend. All the commercial print support a product without extensive evaluation.
Lets address learning how to drive the DCT.
I drive 3 to 4 different vehicles in any given day. i shouldn't NEED to learn to drive the DCT. It should act like an automatic or a manual, either one i would be happy. The DCT has a mind of it's own and it is scary if you live in an area that is not FLAT terrrain.
Where do you live VOLDAR? i am guessing in an area of flat terrain.
I don't consider myself to be stupid, nor everyone else who is having an issue.
By calling people stupid you are only showing your immaturity and narrow mindedness.
How many miles do you all have on your cars? I am going to guess not many. The only time I find that my Focus bucks, is when I am coming to a quick stop and come off the gas pedal fast then the brake pedal and then back on the gas really fast and that has to do with the computer disengaging the clutch as I was braking then re-engaging after I let off the brake and by that time I am already on the gas, therefore creating the bucking issue, so technically its my fault.

You need to let your cars break in. 500 miles isn't broke in for the clutches. These are dual clutches and you would know, if you have ever driven a manual with dual clutches, that dual clutch setups can be very touchy. I have over 11,000 miles on my car and my DCT shifts very smooth anywhere from day to day driving and the occasional romp around. I climb several hills daily, a good majority of them are fairly steep especially for Texas (being from Maine I know steep) and I have never experienced any bucking. I usually hold a steady speed going up the hill and it will downshift smoothly.

If you really wanted a Manual transmission then you should have shopped around some more or should have told your dealership that they needed to find you one. Its not true that a Manual only comes in a stripped down car, the 2012 model year you could get it in a fully loaded SE Sport, the 2013 model year you can get it in the Titanium.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #1413
peppersmum
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98989
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback SE Red Candy

Points 43, Level 1
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 peppersmum Good Standing Member
I have a steep driveway and have no problems getting up it smoothly. I have 1400 km on mine now and it is shifting quite smoothly and the acceleration is much better. Still loving mine.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #1414
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
@Gary_C and @rp3583 (and others in the same situation)

The DCT is an automated manual transmission , not a manual nor an automatic slush-box. And yes, this transmission is something different and yes, everyone should learn to drive it. What I will say here, most of it, is in the owner's manual and from my experience (and others experience) with the DCT (many here who love their DCT did this):
- the DCT needs 1000 miles to "break in". This means that during this period, you don't drive at steady rpms, you switch from D to S frequently and you don't baby it. In this break-in period your car will "learn" how to shift, because don't forget, it's software "driven" and its components need this period
- while on highway, don't use cruise control and "play" with the rpms (change from D to S and back, accelerate from 50 to 70 and then let go, then from 60 to 75 a.s.o). Don't let it "run" at the same rpms for long time.
- if you experience shudder at take-off, push harder the gas pedal, don't "feather" it and in time (sooner or later) the shudder will go away
- if you experience "lag" at the "get go", let a full second between the moment you take off the foot from the brake and when you push the gas.
- when accelerating, push the gas pedal in a fluid motion, don't "floor it".
- if on steep inclines, put it in S and push the rocker downwards to change to a lower gear. I don't know how well you know Montreal, but let me say it has some steep roads here, like San Francisco so I think I know how to handle the DCT to do what I want in hilly areas. It is not me who's complaining about it, it is you.

If after 1000 miles of driving the car as I mentioned above, you still experience problems, get it to the Ford dealer and ask him to help you fix it. If he says "it's normal", well, he's wrong. Change the dealer and fight to get them fix your car. I did this, many did it. If you are here to complain only, full of frustration about the DCT but you don't want to change anything because "you drove many other cars and expect that DCT acts as a slush-box", well, you deserve everything that comes to you, IMO.

P.S. And yes, I call it stupidity when someone is paying +25K $ (in Canada) for a car and all he does is looking after what Motor Trend and others like them say (and let me state that even them said the DCT is not for everyone) and not looking after what car owners have to say in forums like this one. So it is not exactly "calling names", it is what I think about it. We live in 2012 and not in 1990, internet is for exactly these kind of things, not only for entertainment.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #1415
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,703, Level 31
Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31 Points: 2,703, Level: 31
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Ford Tech Service Notes on DCT
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #1416
Gary_C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95312
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gary_C Good Standing Member
Quote:
@Gary_C and @rp3583 (and others in the same situation)

The DCT is an automated manual transmission , not a manual nor an automatic slush-box. And yes, this transmission is something different and yes, everyone should learn to drive it. What I will say here, most of it, is in the owner's manual and from my experience (and others experience) with the DCT (many here who love their DCT did this):
- the DCT needs 1000 miles to "break in". This means that during this period, you don't drive at steady rpms, you switch from D to S frequently and you don't baby it. In this break-in period your car will "learn" how to shift, because don't forget, it's software "driven" and its components need this period
- while on highway, don't use cruise control and "play" with the rpms (change from D to S and back, accelerate from 50 to 70 and then let go, then from 60 to 75 a.s.o). Don't let it "run" at the same rpms for long time.
- if you experience shudder at take-off, push harder the gas pedal, don't "feather" it and in time (sooner or later) the shudder will go away
- if you experience "lag" at the "get go", let a full second between the moment you take off the foot from the brake and when you push the gas.
- when accelerating, push the gas pedal in a fluid motion, don't "floor it".
- if on steep inclines, put it in S and push the rocker downwards to change to a lower gear. I don't know how well you know Montreal, but let me say it has some steep roads here, like San Francisco so I think I know how to handle the DCT to do what I want in hilly areas. It is not me who's complaining about it, it is you.

If after 1000 miles of driving the car as I mentioned above, you still experience problems, get it to the Ford dealer and ask him to help you fix it. If he says "it's normal", well, he's wrong. Change the dealer and fight to get them fix your car. I did this, many did it. If you are here to complain only, full of frustration about the DCT but you don't want to change anything because "you drove many other cars and expect that DCT acts as a slush-box", well, you deserve everything that comes to you, IMO.

P.S. And yes, I call it stupidity when someone is paying +25K $ (in Canada) for a car and all he does is looking after what Motor Trend and others like them say (and let me state that even them said the DCT is not for everyone) and not what car owners have to say in forums like this. So it is not exactly "calling names", it is what I think about it.
I don't come here to rant as is evident by all 8 of my posts. I come here to look and see if there is any new information that i can go back to my dealer with. as opposed to the 855 posts you have.
So i will continue to lurk and and maybe learn something so that folks like you don't call me stupid and feel that i get what i deserve. We all have opinions and you are intitled to post yours about me and people like me. All i ask is that you try and be an adult about it.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #1417
rp3583
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102478
What I Drive: 2012, white, focus sel

FF Reputation: 1 rp3583 Good Standing Member
Quote:
rp3583, next time you buy a car, test drive it and get the most of the information possible about it. I am sure you didn't do this when buying your Focus, so blame yourself for your stupidity, not everyone else.
Watch your mouth boy, I'm blaming Ford, who is everyone else? Sounds like you either work for them or are a fanboy willing to get on you knees on command. I don't need to hear you rimjob Ford. When I bought the car it was listed an AUTOMATIC not "special" automatic or anything else. If this thing ever does "break in" I'll have a ruined transmission and not one but two clutches to replace, that's freakin genius right there.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #1418
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Watch your mouth boy, I'm blaming Ford, who is everyone else? Sounds like you either work for them or are a fanboy willing to get on you knees on command. I don't need to hear you rimjob Ford. When I bought the car it was listed an AUTOMATIC not "special" automatic or anything else. If this thing ever does "break in" I'll have a ruined transmission and not one but two clutches to replace, that's freakin genius right there.
Well, shit happens. If you want to flame Ford, flame it on its forum, not here. Here is a forum were everyone is looking for answers not for letting their frustration get the best of them. So, please get going and don't let me stop you. Move to the next car and be sure you learnt something from this experience (but I doubt you can, you are too much of a "man" to be able to).
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #1419
rp3583
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102478
What I Drive: 2012, white, focus sel

FF Reputation: 1 rp3583 Good Standing Member
My last vehicle that I traded in on the focus was an 04 eddie bauer explorer. The liftgate just fell off the freakin vehicle, and for some reason the 04 model year was not covered by recall when all the model years on either side of it were. So it became MY problem. I don't want Ford to screw me again and in 5 years when this transmission and clutch(es) crap out it becomes MY problem once again. This tranny/computer/whole car needs to be recalled.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #1420
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
Quote:
If I wanted my car to drive like a manual I would have bought one, as a matter of fact, I wanted a real manual but of course you cant get the one in anything but the stripped down model. Unless you live in a different country.

"Of course" you can't get a manual on anything but the stripped model in this country?? What country are you talking about?

You seem to be misinformed, the manual is available on both the SE and Titanium models in the US.

Its not too difficult to see that it's available, when you go to the Focus web site and look at the "Build and Price" section, one of the first choices you make is "Choose Transmission" and you have a choice of 5 Speed manual or 6 Speed Auto for BOTH the SE and Titanium models.

Even a tiny bit of knowledge and research can go a long way.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.