DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 129 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #1281
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've discovered that the expectations of the kickdowns, down shifts, etc seem a little better if I have a HEAVY FOOT!. The prior update I got into the habit of slowly tipping into the throttle and adjusted my style of driving with a light foot which seemed to be just fine. I dunno if the prior update made the throttle more sensitive or what but with this latest one I now have to literally drop the pedal a bit more certain to get the car to not BOG as bad and realize that hey I want you to pickup some speed for a maneuver or something and not trying to stay in 6th all the darn time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #1282
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I've had mine since 6/15 but it only has about 400 miles on it, and it seems to be a little smoother every time I drive it. I do keep it in "S" though, and that in itself exhibits some weird behavior.

On my way home from school last night, someone ahead of me slowed to make a right turn, and I 'got on it' after I went past them, & it downshifted to 3rd, and then stayed there. I hadn't initiated manual mode, but for some reason it just locked itself in 3rd even after I let up on the throttle. It never did upshift until I hit the 'up' button, and then the gear numbers appeared on the screen and it shifted. Wierd anamole.

I still get a bit of bog when I turn into my subdivision and accelerate, but it does it less in "S" mode. Not sure what that's about either.

Overall it's getting better than the day I brought it home. I can tell it's learning something about the way I drive. Thankfully.
I have that as well - it feels like a downshift, or lack of power, as I accelerate, yet only during a fast turn. I posted a thread (can't find it) but I recall from what others said that it's not abnormal.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #1283
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I've discovered that the expectations of the kickdowns, down shifts, etc seem a little better if I have a HEAVY FOOT!. The prior update I got into the habit of slowly tipping into the throttle and adjusted my style of driving with a light foot which seemed to be just fine. I dunno if the prior update made the throttle more sensitive or what but with this latest one I now have to literally drop the pedal a bit more certain to get the car to not BOG as bad and realize that hey I want you to pickup some speed for a maneuver or something and not trying to stay in 6th all the darn time.

Yup. A firmer application of gas does help. Without gunning the engine or getting the tires to squeal, of course.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #1284
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

Points 2,676, Level 31
Points: 2,676, Level: 31 Points: 2,676, Level: 31 Points: 2,676, Level: 31
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
In my experience, if the adaptive learning of the TCM is really cleared (which would happen with some firmware updates), the car won't even move when you put it in gear. This is because the TCM doesn't know the point of enagagement for the clutches.
If that were true they would never be able to get them off the assembly line, as there has been no adaptive learning prior to that.

According to the what I've been able to find on the subject, the TCM firmware contains a baseline shift program and modifies that based on stored performance data. Maintaining the performance data stored in volatile memory is part of the reason for the 'hot at all times' battery inputs to the TCM from fuses F15 and F26 and why the adaptive learning process is called for when replacing the TCM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #1285
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,704, Level 38
Points: 3,704, Level: 38 Points: 3,704, Level: 38 Points: 3,704, Level: 38
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthom62 View Post
If that were true they would never be able to get them off the assembly line, as there has been no adaptive learning prior to that.
It's true.

At the dealer level, the "Clutch Adaptive Learning" procedure of the IDS is used to enable the TCM to learn the "catch points" of both clutches. I'm sure there is a similar system used for production.

Once after re-programming the TCM, I tried backing the car out of my garage without doing the Clutch Adaptive Learning. It didn't move at first because there was no clutch engagement.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #1286
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,676, Level 31
Level Up 51% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
It's true.
Once after re-programming the TCM, I tried backing the car out of my garage without doing the Clutch Adaptive Learning. It didn't move at first because there was no clutch engagement.
Yes, the baseline firmware must be there. It stays there even when power is removed from the TCM and will be there after power is reapplied. Flashing the TCM with the IDS puts it there. That wasn't really the question though.

My SEL and my wife's SE had FSA 12B37 accomplished by the same dealer technician using the same IDS and VCM. Mine did not have the battery cable removed, hers did (wiper motor recall). Afterwards, mine had no 'learning curve' for the shifting like it did when it was new, hers did. It took several hundred miles to return to what was normal before the battery was disconnected.

When I asked the dealer technician about this, he showed me in one of their service manuals where it said that the learned part of the TCM programming was lost when power was removed from the TCM.

Who do I believe? You, or him?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #1287
Dylan1970
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100905
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Dylan1970 Good Standing Member
The only problem I have is the clutch chatter every once-in-awhile, mostly on the first and second shift. My car's manufacture date in May 2012 so I imagine I have all the updates. Is the chatter normal or should I have it checked? I hesitate to do anything because other than that I am totally satisfied. I only have 750 miles on the car so perhaps I should break it in more before I get worried.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #1288
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,704, Level 38
Points: 3,704, Level: 38 Points: 3,704, Level: 38 Points: 3,704, Level: 38
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Yes, the baseline firmware must be there. It stays there even when power is removed from the TCM and will be there after power is reapplied. Flashing the TCM with the IDS puts it there.
That's not how it works...

The last time that I re-flashed the TCM, I never did the Clutch Adaptive Learning with the IDS. At first, my car didn't move at all, but it did "learn" the clutch engagment properly (there was a fair amount of clutch slippage for a couple of minutes).

The Clutch Adaptive Learning procedure accelerates the learning process. It is not the same as "flashing the TCM".
Flashing the TCM usually clears the adaptive learning (12B37 is an exception).

Quote:
Who do I believe? You, or him?
Heh.

I'm simply telling you my experiences. You can draw your own conclusions, OK?

Last edited by Kabigon; 07-04-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #1289
cbABQ
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100965
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum White, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 cbABQ Good Standing Member
I"m planning to tow my Focus behind my motorhome. The manual states that the battery must be disconnected while towing. Does this mean that everytime I tow the car (and disconnect the battery), that it will be several hundred miles before it drives properly again?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #1290
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,676, Level 31
Level Up 51% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbABQ View Post
I"m planning to tow my Focus behind my motorhome. The manual states that the battery must be disconnected while towing. Does this mean that everytime I tow the car (and disconnect the battery), that it will be several hundred miles before it drives properly again?
Depends on who or what you believe, I suppose.

From what I've been told, and been able to find documentation for, when you reconnect the battery the TCM will perform an initial system check to verify shift motor position and operation. Then, as you drive, the TCM re-learns your shift and acceleration profile.

While this recent discussion has been going on, I've disconnected my battery twice to see what effect it had on the transmission. Each time, there has been about 15 seconds of noise from the transmission when the cable is reinstalled.

Both times the shift points when driving were different than they were before the battery was disconnected, but both times they were pretty much back to normal within less than 20 miles of mixed city/highway driving. Each time there was a little bit of shudder initially but it went away quickly.

Or not, you know, whatever.

Bookmarks & Social Networks