DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 117 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #1161
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
The update is documented at .6 hours so once your car is in a bay, it should not take too long.
Unfortunately, I have more than just this update for the dealer to take a look at next time the car's in...

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #1162
Jig Saw
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94419
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Se

FF Reputation: 1 Jig Saw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Brought my Focus in today at 1pm for this tsb and got it back by 3pm. Didn't drive much after getting it but did notice a big difference in the way it shifted and held the rpms. Hopefully will have more info by end of week.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #1163
Darketernal3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98631
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Darketernal3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2012 View Post
Wait a minute -- I did get the 12B37 done, but they neglected to tell me they did that recall ... I just looked at my paperwork for my 10May12 service ... they did do the wiper motor recall though. That took a day to get a grommet.

and they had to reprogram the BCM, perform tsb 12-02-15 because two of my three keys decided to not be able to start the car .... duh .... good thing I had one key that was able to start car so that i didn't have to have the turkey towed 30 miles to the dealer.

Their DCT note: verify slight noise going into second, updated per 12b37, road test still heard noise"

"Note technician performed PCM TCM and ABS reflash per 12B37, road test and spoke with hotline, concern seems to be characteristic of vehicle"

this was with a cold engine ... the real problem is with a hot engine after a lot of stop go city traffic ... the 12b37 upgrade on Red 2012 had no noticible effect. I am waiting for some hot weather now that we are in RI for the summer. In Naples we were in 80+ degrees and pretty heavy traffic most of last 3 months. and the DCT got worse the more it was used in traffic.

they put 9 miles on in a low traffic area ... barely enough time to get the transmission up to its problem temp. I'm at one year and 7841 miles.

I don't think 12B37 is the final answer by far. So far 1 clutch job, 2 DCT upgrades, and one CSP [Customer Satisfaction Program] recall? ... I wouldn't recommend this DCT to anyone.

this car is NOT a keeper.
That's a bit harsh to say it's NOT a keeper.
I rather like the DCT, of course, once you get used to it.
You have to drive it with a slightly hybrid mindset of automatic and manual. Once you get that, I find it very fun to drive.

As far as problems, i suppose you got the bad apple of the group... nothing I can say about that.. just luck of the draw.

As far as updates, yes, this is a new generation of focus. It's to be expected.
SE Sports Package
Two toned sports interior Stone/Black
Old 05-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #1164
ladytonya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94805
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Gray Metallic SE hatch

FF Reputation: 1 ladytonya Good Standing Member
I got the update done on Monday and all I can say is wow! I really only had one or two behaviors that were bothersome but they now seem to be completely remedied with this update. As others have said, when you are an early adapter to new technology you have to be prepared for problems. No matter how much beta testing you do, you cannot test for every imaginable situation! I think Ford is doing a good job of getting this DCT up to snuff. They had mine for a little over a half day - oil change, PCM update, and patching a flat that I had on Sunday, and they gave me a loaner because the service shuttle wasn't available. The loaner was another 2012 Focus with about 20,000 miles on it, mine only has 6,000, and it drove like a dream. I am really loving the DCT transmission. Is it a little different than a normal automatic? Of course it is, it isn't a "normal" automatic! I love the hybrid manual/automatic that this seems to be. Taking her on a 9 hour road trip Friday and Saturday and absolutely cannot wait for the drive, except for the inevitable Memorial Day weekend traffic. Personally, I really love this car!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #1165
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytonya View Post
I got the update done on Monday and all I can say is wow! I really only had one or two behaviors that were bothersome but they now seem to be completely remedied with this update. As others have said, when you are an early adapter to new technology you have to be prepared for problems. No matter how much beta testing you do, you cannot test for every imaginable situation! I think Ford is doing a good job of getting this DCT up to snuff. They had mine for a little over a half day - oil change, PCM update, and patching a flat that I had on Sunday, and they gave me a loaner because the service shuttle wasn't available. The loaner was another 2012 Focus with about 20,000 miles on it, mine only has 6,000, and it drove like a dream. I am really loving the DCT transmission. Is it a little different than a normal automatic? Of course it is, it isn't a "normal" automatic! I love the hybrid manual/automatic that this seems to be. Taking her on a 9 hour road trip Friday and Saturday and absolutely cannot wait for the drive, except for the inevitable Memorial Day weekend traffic. Personally, I really love this car!
Seconded.

I am doing firmer accelerations (no more granny style) and sometimes I occasionally still get a rough acceleration from standstill (00MPH to ~10)). When it happens it's irritating but by no means anything as klunky as it had been. Still, with break-in period still in effect (1304 miles on the car after 3.23 months), this may not be abnormal.

And the loud grind has become a quieter (about the same volume as engine) "blender whoosh" (still at the same time, between 1->2 gear shift) but I've noticed no physical aspects from the noise so the noise is not an abnormal event. I'll report on this again only if I come across actual problems during this shift, but the noise no longer concerns me.

Everything else (low idle shudder, etc) are gone, and the car does not roll down backwards on a slight incline.

I fear the tranny might need to be replaced one day, if the rough acceleration from 0 is a problem with the transmission. But I've got the extended warranty and, again, the rough acceleration is not constant, and when it's not constant a mechanic may not get to experience it... wait'n'see on this, I shall...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #1166
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Just dropped mine off for the brake/tranny/wiper motor fixes/updates. Hope to have it back this afternoon as they are going to do it all at once.

Just got back from a long trip, and thoroughly enjoyed the SE Sport as a long distance runner. Not one complaint.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #1167
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Awesome news about the DCT update! I was going to hold off until next month when my Focus will be due for an oil change but the DCT has been acting pretty lethargic this week. Almost scary is a better word because it is so unpredictable I am never sure if the car is going to go or not when I step on the gas.

Off to make an appointment now.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #1168
bobakman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89045
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bobakman Good Standing Member
Well here is the result of today's visit to the dealership service department. I was told that the noises and harsh shifting and rolling back of my transmission is a "normal characteristic" of the transmission installed in my Ford Focus. See Invoice copy below. I called the regional customer service rep and he scheduled a second opinion visit to a different dealership for tomorrow wasted time again.
I asked the shop foreman why my vehicle did not make these noises when I first purchased it and he told me that generally the noises do not begin until after 300 miles are put on the vehicle I can't believe that this is "normal". He also admitted that this is a known issue.
I don't know why they are calling it a "double click" noise in the work order it sounds like a bucket of marbles.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #1169
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
If you plug your VIN into ETIS, what TSBs/FSAs/Recalls are shown? The dealer should be performing this tasks, which I am certain will resolve the issue.

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegS...05C4.eccvas503
Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #1170
umbrage
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94798
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5-Door

FF Reputation: 1 umbrage Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobakman View Post
I don't know why they are calling it a "double click" noise in the work order it sounds like a bucket of marbles.
Wow, that's cute. "Verified noise but windows must be opened and radio must be turned off."

Bookmarks & Social Networks