DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 115 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #1141
RustyPonds
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84824
What I Drive: Grey 2012 Focus Ti Hatchback w/Nav

FF Reputation: 1 RustyPonds Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdashrad View Post
So after a week the car is still driving well, but I have noticed that when putting the car in park and shutting off the engine, it occasionally does one of two things:

Lurches, similar to when you let off the clutch in a manual while it's in gear and it stalls.

Rolls slightly before actually "locking" into park, definitely more than it did prior to the update. This is (obviously) more noticeable on hills, but has occurred even on a slight incline.

Has anyone else noticed either of these things?

Same here. Got the TSB 11-10-02A update and while the car is smoother over all, it seems I get a little "boot" once I hit my push start to turn the engine off.

I always put the the break on first though, so I don't know about lurching, but the bump at the end is definitely new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #1142
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Why do you have to shift into park first? I always pull the parking brake first and then shift into park.
It's a good habit, especially if you ever park your car and leave the engine running for whatever reason.

With the engine running, the shift lever in 'D', the parking brake on, and your foot off of the brake, you may get partial clutch engagement (i.e. it wants to creep forward as normal but it can't because of the parking brake). In this case, the clutch would heat up and you would get unnecessary wear.

Actually, I believe that this problem may have been corrected in the last PCM/TCM reflash but it has happened to me in the past.

Why did I leave it in 'D' with the parking brake on? I shouldn't have but I think it had something to do with the fact that this is my first car with an automatic.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #1143
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
From the day one, when parking my car on an incline, I was told to first use the hand-brake, put the car in N to transfer the weight to it, then to P. This car is acting almost as a manual transmission one and you should always use the hand-brake before putting into P.
That works, or without shifting to 'N':

1) Keep your foot on the brake pedal (you would normally have your foot on the brake anyway when parking).
2) Shift to 'P'.
3) Engage parking brake.

By keeping your foot on the brake pedal, there is no stress on the parking pawl.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #1144
bdashrad
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48741
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL Hatch - 06.06.2011

FF Reputation: 1 bdashrad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
If you are parking on anything other than a level surface, it is a good idea to engage the parking brake (after putting the trans. in 'P' but before taking your foot off of the brake pedal).

The parking pawl should be used only as a "backup".
I got in a bad habit with my last focus (2001 zx3) who's parking brake did not work of just leaving it in gear, so I do try to put the parking brake on first now. However, on a very slight incline it's still noticeable, and I never noticed it before the update. Just commenting on my experience.

Anyway, I'm still much happier overall since the upgrade.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #1145
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
Just thought I would mention that a lot of people in the FSA 12B37 thread are noting very substantial improvements in the operation of their DCTs after getting that update on their cars. Anyone who is eligible should get this done. My DCT was pretty good before the update. Now I think this may be one of the best automatics in a four-banger that I've driven. I think I now understand why Ford wanted this transmission in their car. Maybe they have finally got the bugs worked out. (But I still think those complaints of 'grinding' are a separate issue Ford has got to deal with. Fortunately I've never experienced that. )

Rich
Old 05-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #1146
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
Just thought I would mention that a lot of people in the FSA 12B37 thread are noting very substantial improvements in the operation of their DCTs after getting that update on their cars. Anyone who is eligible should get this done. My DCT was pretty good before the update. Now I think this may be one of the best automatics in a four-banger that I've driven. I think I now understand why Ford wanted this transmission in their car. Maybe they have finally got the bugs worked out. (But I still think those complaints of 'grinding' are a separate issue Ford has got to deal with. Fortunately I've never experienced that. )

Rich
^^...This! I just got mine done today, wow, no regrets!
Hatch Nation #174
Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #1147
Scott S
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98137
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy,

FF Reputation: 1 Scott S Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post

Rich
I have a job 2 car which I suspect had all the latest updates applied at the factory and although I only have 2000 on it I really like the DCT. I too feel it is one of the best automatics out there. Mannerisms and power transfer of a manual with the gas and go benefits of an automatic for ease of use in traffic.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #1148
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
It's a good habit, especially if you ever park your car and leave the engine running for whatever reason.

With the engine running, the shift lever in 'D', the parking brake on, and your foot off of the brake, you may get partial clutch engagement (i.e. it wants to creep forward as normal but it can't because of the parking brake). In this case, the clutch would heat up and you would get unnecessary wear.

Actually, I believe that this problem may have been corrected in the last PCM/TCM reflash but it has happened to me in the past.

Why did I leave it in 'D' with the parking brake on? I shouldn't have but I think it had something to do with the fact that this is my first car with an automatic.
Ahhh, well I guess seems to me that forgetting to shift into park can happen whether yo normally do it as the first or second step, but it shouldn't matter as long as taking your foot off the brake is the third step.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #1149
hothatch
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93693
What I Drive: 2012 5-Door SE, Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 1 hothatch Good Standing Member
I had an update done in early February, is the FSA 12B37 an even newer update? Just wondering if I should have it done.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #1150
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatch View Post
I had an update done in early February, is the FSA 12B37 an even newer update? Just wondering if I should have it done.
If you get the letter which is being mailed to applicable car owners this week, yes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->