DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 110 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #1091
dberezin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96949
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 1 dberezin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just had my car in last Tuesday (May 2) to have the issue with my transmission looked at. They applied whatever service update was current at the time, but I still have the same issue which is shuddering when you take your foot off the brake (I have an SEL 4-Dr built on 2/16/2012). It feels like a manual when you start taking your foot off the clutch while the car is in gear. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does it enough.

I called the dealer back today and mentioned the new FSA 12B37. I heard her doing some typing on the computer and after a couple of minutes she told me they just got some information about that FSA this past Friday (May 4). She told me that Ford is sending out letters during the week of May 21 and they'll have the information and updates at the end of May.

So I'll just wait it out until then. I hope this helps some people here on the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #1092
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dberezin View Post
I just had my car in last Tuesday (May 2) ... I called the dealer back today and mentioned the new FSA 12B37... She told me that Ford is sending out letters during the week of May 21 and they'll have the information and updates at the end of May...
- The period of "break in" of the transmission is 1000 miles. So, follow the advices from this site about how to break in your transmission and post your impression after these 1000 miles (don't baby it and don't use cruise control). I am sure it will be better.
- I did not receive any letter but I went to my dealer with the ETIS at hand and he checked in the system and scheduled an appointement without a problem for next week. So, it is not mandatory to wait for the letter before getting the last FSA for your car.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #1093
dberezin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
- The period of "break in" of the transmission is 1000 miles. So, follow the advices from this site about how to break in your transmission and post your impression after these 1000 miles (don't baby it and don't use cruise control). I am sure it will be better.
- I did not receive any letter but I went to my dealer with the ETIS at hand and he checked in the system and scheduled an appointement without a problem for next week. So, it is not mandatory to wait for the letter before getting the last FSA for your car.
I have 3700 miles on the car (already!). Otherwise the transmission is super-smooth. Sometimes I'll get that hesitation when coming off a turn and you step on the gas, but for the most part, very smooth shifting. When it does that shuddering it almost feels as if the car is going to stall.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #1094
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
I have 3700 miles on the car (already!). Otherwise the transmission is super-smooth. Sometimes I'll get that hesitation when coming off a turn and you step on the gas, but for the most part, very smooth shifting. When it does that shuddering it almost feels as if the car is going to stall.
Wow ! 3700 miles in 5 days. I didn't know that so .. congratulations !
P.S. Are you going to do the same amount of miles each week of the year ? I know that if the answer is yes and I was in your place, the VW Golf TDi would be my car (regardless the HPFP "scary" problems).
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #1095
dberezin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Wow ! 3700 miles in 5 days. I didn't know that so .. congratulations !
P.S. Are you going to do the same amount of miles each week of the year ? I know that if the answer is yes and I was in your place, the VW Golf TDi would be my car (regardless the HPFP "scary" problems).
Geez - No! I bought the car in March. Just brought it to the dealer last Wednesday for the tranny issue. 3700 in a week! That would be some crazy driving!

I probably put on about 1,900/month.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #1096
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
The update prior to the FSA12B37 was a real night and day difference for my car. I could not only feel the shudder but could hear it as well. Also the occasional odd shifts and delays. The update really eliminated the shudder but once in a while I might be able to detect it ever so slightly. The shifting hesitation was also way better as well as the predictive shifting (I like to call it) when I'd want to speed up ever so slightly it seemed better and finding the perfect gear.

The only issue I have now is when I make a turn and get back on the gas there is a delay before it will shift to a lower gear. I find if I train myself to tap the gas down really quick as I make the turn it fools the tranny into thinking I want to Pass and will drop a gear so the transition is seemingly smooth and there's no delay.

I have heard others state the newest update really improves all of this a great deal.

I have a few thousand miles before to go before I'm due for the first oil change and figure I can live with my car the way it is for now. Who knows, the longer you wait the more TSB's and FSA's seem to surface. Can knock them all out on a single visit.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #1097
Spliner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98714
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Spliner Good Standing Member
Quote:
I have 3700 miles on the car (already!). Otherwise the transmission is super-smooth. Sometimes I'll get that hesitation when coming off a turn and you step on the gas,
Most of my transmission issues have resolved themselves during the break-in process. I've only got 1200 miles or so on my Titanium and it's beginning to shift very smoothly with the exception of the doggy-ness coming off a turn every once in a while. Before noticing your post I had attributed it to me having MAX AC on at the time. Reverse has taken a little longer to break in. It's getting smoother, but at first it was like barely tap the gas and you had whiplash coming out of a parking space (God forbid if a pedestrian was near you). All I'm saying is that I had many of the problems other people posted about their transmissions at first but it's getting better with age.

Spliner
Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #1098
Spliner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98714
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Spliner Good Standing Member
Quote:
(don't baby it and don't use cruise control)
That was the key for me. It was brand new, and I was being very easy on it. It was making the computer have a difficult time adjusting to my driving habits. Once I stopped that and started driving it like I wanted it to perform it began to smooth out and learn.

Spliner
Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #1099
bdashrad
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48741
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL Hatch - 06.06.2011

FF Reputation: 1 bdashrad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdashrad View Post
At my local dealer now getting the trans looked at. The other day, after coming to a stop, when the trans went to shift from 1st to 2nd it acted as if the clutch was re-engaged or it was put in neutral and it revved up to 5k or so, then finally shifted. Felt like it went into third, but didn't verify. As soon as this happened it threw a check engine light (P286F, Clutch "A" Performance Disengagement Too Slow I believe). After that happened the car was almost undriveable, was continuously over-revving when shifting and would not go into "S". This continued until the code was cleared. Unfortunately the dealer had no one available to look at the transmission on Saturday so my car had to sit for the weekend. Prior to this the only symptoms I had seen was the "shudder" in reverse. My build date is June 2011, so I've definitely got one of the older builds on here.

They are doing the update (maybe more) now and hopefully i'll have some good news to report back.

So they applied the FSA 12B37 and did the transmission reset process mentioned. The car seems to drive better than ever before. Hopefully this will resolve my issues. In and out in under an hour and a half, can't really be happier with Drum Hill Ford right now.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #1100
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdashrad View Post
So they applied the FSA 12B37 and did the transmission reset process mentioned. The car seems to drive better than ever before. Hopefully this will resolve my issues. In and out in under an hour and a half, can't really be happier with Drum Hill Ford right now.
Great, keep us updated on this...

Brian

Bookmarks & Social Networks