DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 103 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #1021
DBrim
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97130
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 DBrim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
same here... just got mine 3 days ago. Production date as per VIN is March 12th 2012.

As soon as I left the dealer's parking lot, I noticed that it was jerking & shuttering during stop & go. Before calling the dealer, I thought of coming online to find if this was normal behavior, and noticed 86 pages of this thread, with hundreds of similar situations as I have.

I tried locating the key posts with the steps to follow in reporting it to my dealer, but my head is spinning from reading all the content here!

Can someone let me know what is the exact TSB (is there a TSB# I can refer to) when I call the dealer?

Thanks! :)
The current TSB only applies to cars built before 12/1/11. So no, it would not apply to your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #1022
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrim View Post
The current TSB only applies to cars built before 12/1/11. So no, it would not apply to your car.
Thks DBrim. Then, the symptoms I've read here are SO similar to what I'm experiencing so far. Especially at a dead stop, it feels like I'm driving a manual and from 0-20km. Gear shifting is certainly not smooth... to a point, I had a Starbucks coffee spill due to the jerky/shifting!

Anyhow, if it's considered to be normal behavior of the dual clutch transmission I'll just get used to it!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #1023
Red 2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85244
What I Drive: 2012 candy red SEL; 2005 Freestyle

FF Reputation: 1 Red 2012 Good Standing Member
Let's work on setting up definitions:

1. DCT Chattering ... shifting into second [and less noticeably random shifts higher] ...almost sounds like something physical is loose under the car and service needs to locate the loose piece and tighten it up.
1a. "chattering" doesn't seem to be changed in most cases by the current update.
1b. "chattering" doesn't seem to be changed in most cases by ford installing a new clutch
1c. "chattering" does seem to get worse the longer you are in heavy stop go traffic on hot days
1d. "chattering" doesn't always happen 100% of the time
1e. "chattering" doesn't seem to fix itself

2. "Doubling down" ... giving it gas to get moving ... like a coin toss ... either the motor will hesitate and lug, or it will quickly double down shift and off you go.
2a. Doubling down is not predictable although may be related to how fast you are pressing the gas pedal that time.

3. "Adaptive Transmission Control System" an attempt to robotize a human's irrational driving style ... I don't know about you guys, but I drive way differently depending on my mood, whether I am late for an appointment, whether I am talking on the phone, whether the traffic is light or heavy, whether we are on a 1000 mile cross country, or whether my wife is at the wheel ... duh...

4. "lugging" ... DCT decides that it really doesn't need to downshift yet ... this is especially noticeable to drivers who have driven MTs a lot and keep saying ... WTF... when this happens ... especially if you decide to double down and wonder which way the DCT will react.

Feel free to contribute to the DCT definitions.
thanks ...

[ I'm 1 year into this car and just turned 6000 miles ... the best 1500 was on a 2 day 1500 mile trip coming south for the winter ... and I am looking forward to 1500 miles going north for the summer in a couple of weeks.]

Last edited by Red 2012; 04-21-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #1024
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
Thks DBrim. Then, the symptoms I've read here are SO similar to what I'm experiencing so far. Especially at a dead stop, it feels like I'm driving a manual and from 0-20km. Gear shifting is certainly not smooth... to a point, I had a Starbucks coffee spill due to the jerky/shifting!

Anyhow, if it's considered to be normal behavior of the dual clutch transmission I'll just get used to it!
I did find this, about the DCT:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1092516AAp7y1g

"Answer 2" seems the best... FWIW... I have relatives who drive a 2006 Subaru; it has DCT, but they've never had any issues.

How much of this is due to us "driving it wrong" vs a design issue is up for grabs. But if the salesman says "Just drive it like an automatic; the system will learn how you drive and adapt", then that has to be considered.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #1025
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post

"Answer 2" seems the best... FWIW... I have relatives who drive a 2006 Subaru; it has DCT, but they've never had any issues.

How much of this is due to us "driving it wrong" vs a design issue is up for grabs. But if the salesman says "Just drive it like an automatic; the system will learn how you drive and adapt", then that has to be considered.
The Focus does not have a T converter . Fords big mistake
Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #1026
hoover460
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92046
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 hoover460 Good Standing Member
You can't have a torque converter in a manual transmission, which is what the DCT is!

Sent from my ADR6350 using FF Mobile
Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #1027
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover460 View Post
You can't have a torque converter in a manual transmission, which is what the DCT is!

I think they're saying Ford should've just used a conventional auto on this car.

I gotta say I was pretty down on the DCT when it was shuddering but since its been behaving better I'm seeing the main benefit more clearly.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #1028
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post

I haven't found anything online about a DCT ever being in a Subaru. Apparently it was considered for the WRX but never used.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #1029
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover460 View Post

Thje DCT is no a manual it a automatic,every thing in it is automatic
I cant explain it any simpler
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Po...t_transmission
Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 AM   #1030
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Steps 1-3 take just a few minutes and are performed with the Ford diagnostic tool (IDS).

Step 4 (drive cycle) is as follows:

1. Press the brake pedal.
2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.
6. Repeat (1-5) ten (10) times.
7. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle to 24.1 kmh (15 mph).
8. Brake gently to a complete stop (allow at least 6 seconds).
9. Repeat steps (7-8) five (5) times in dealership parking lot or similar setting.
10. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm.
11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.
12. Repeat step 11 two (2) times.
13. Test drive the vehicle.
I live in a gated community and will do steps 1-9 there. To do steps 10-13, I would have to go the highway (several miles away).

I may do this later today, or tomorrow if I have the time.

It seems like when you have to do setp 12, you are not just repeating steps 11, but steps 10 and 11. Am I correct?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->